Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Blurries under Prepar3d4 - and how I got rid of them

Hi,,

this is NOT a plea for help but rather I want to give others a hand who happen to run into a similar issue.

My Prepar3d4.4 was running quite well until 10 days ago. That was the point where I started to come to terms with ORBX TE GB South. After endless modifications of settings, I ended up with mixed results. Next time I took off from my testbed, KSFO and the Bay Area, I got shocked, notably about the blurry roads.

Blurries_Bay_Area_Prepar3d.jpg

To make a long story short, this was NOT caused by ORBX breaking my system. Neither were these the "common" blurries clearing up after a couple of seconds. The latter are nearly always caused by your system - and mostly your CPU - not keeping up. Mine didn't clear up.

I am not going to list all the hoops I jumped through including deactivating all scenery, reinstalling Client, reinstalling Contents (yes), deleting all settings files, switching Hyperthreading on/off etc. - to no avail.

I didn't expect it, but the solution was in the Nvidia Control Panel which I had toyed with as well. I already had tried to reset all Prepar3d 3D settings to the default before. Just by chance, I had a glimpse on the Global Settings to detect that Anisotropic Filtering was Off instead of the default Application controlled which setting was transferred to Prepar3d  (and supposedly more was broken). So I just reset the Global plus the Prepar3d specific 3D settings to their Nvidia defaults - to find all crisp again.

Just in case someone runs into this, too, it's something very simple to try. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hello, Michael. Thanks for posting this. I didn't have a blurries issue, But, you did make me check my NVIDIA control panel and It was set the way that you recommended. Very useful info, incase I ever run into it.

Thank you!

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Hi Michael

Thanks for sharing.

I was curious if you had made the changes to the Nvidia Control panel settings you refer to and forgot and if so were they in your efforts to improve the Orbx scenery? I assume these can be light switched on your system to cause the blurry issue.

Glad you figured out your issue, this hobby is always testing our problem solving skills. Something I actually don’t mind as an engineer as long as its not too frequent and can ultimately be solved.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

7 minutes ago, joepoway said:

Hi Michael

Thanks for sharing.

I was curious if you had made the changes to the Nvidia Control panel settings you refer to and forgot and if so were they in your efforts to improve the Orbx scenery?

I don't think so. I can't recall setting AA to off by intention under the Global Settings. (And, maybe, there were even more settings wrong which I didn't check before hitting the Nvidia button.)

I tried to set energy saving for Prepar3d only from optimum performance to maximum for ORBX TE, which someone suggested but didn't help a iota. Plus, I recall , I was in the NCP for setting DSR in the hope to mitigate shimmering under X-Plane a few days ago. DSR has to be set in the Global Settings and maybe I just was unlucky to press a wrong entry in the list by accident as well.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Restore/Apply fixes so many problems I never start debugging without performing a Restore/Apply as I always mention it is worth doing before messing around in P3D or FSX.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 2/18/2019 at 7:27 PM, pmb said:

I didn't expect it, but the solution was in the Nvidia Control Panel which I had toyed with as well. I already had tried to reset all Prepar3d 3D settings to the default before. Just by chance, I had a glimpse on the Global Settings to detect that Anisotropic Filtering was Off instead of the default Application controlled which setting was transferred to Prepar3d  (and supposedly more was broken). So I just reset the Global plus the Prepar3d specific 3D settings to their Nvidia defaults - to find all crisp again.

Hi Michael,

Just checked my Nvidia control panel P3D settings, just to be sure. There, I found...

Anisotropic filtering        16x 

While at it, I figured I'd check Nvidia Inspector to see what was over on that side....I found there are -2- settings for P3D....

Anisotropic filtering mode          User-defined / Off

Anisotropic filtering setting         16x

I'm guessing you're referring to what ends up as Anisotropic Filtering setting. But, for the heck of it, if you run Nvidia Inspector, what is your setting there for mode??

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by orbmis

In the control panel, 3d settings, select the global profile and restore/apply it. If it's already grey, as if no changes were made to it, even so, make a setting, save it, then go back and restore/apply. Then do this (which seems pointless) with the P3D profile as well.

From here we can make the settings we desire in the global or in the P3D profile.

With P3D it is best to stick with the P3D Display Settings window in P3D for all settings, unless absolutely necessary to make changes in NCP.

Regarding the reason to restore/apply is that this definitely ensures the tables under the hood are in order. These can become confused even though a driver has been recently installed. That can happen simply because a driver is updated and an error in the profile may not be evident even though the settings look right. Restore/Apply first, and then make settings. It's just a precaution.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, orbmis said:

I'm guessing you're referring to what ends up as Anisotropic Filtering setting. But, for the heck of it, if you run Nvidia Inspector, what is your setting there for mode??

Mike,

in my case it was the first entry under the global settings "Anisotropic Filtering" which was "off", why ever, but should be "application controlled".

Generally, Steve is completely right, though, do what he says and you''ll be on the safe side.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Michael, this may be the single best tweak I have ever used, and I have used tooooooooooooooooo many...:-)

It worked as described, and now blurries are a thing of the past....at least until my next tweak....:-)

Sherm

so i use ndviva inspector and my settings look like so..

is that correct under section 4 ??

thanks 

Capture.png

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

Ha, I bet you had many of us double-check our settings.  😁

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Thanks, I'll need to check this 🙂

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case