Sign in to follow this  
sho69607

747-400 vs -8 wind noise

I have a technical question about the differences between the -400 and the -800. PMDG has modeled the wind noise to be very loud in the cockpit by default with the -400, which I am assuming is accurate. I have always heard the 747 is very loud upfront. I noticed a difference with the -800 where the wind noise is much quieter. Did Boeing put more noise dampening material in the 747-800? It seems to be a much quieter bird overall.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

2 hours ago, sho69607 said:

I have a technical question about the differences between the -400 and the -800. PMDG has modeled the wind noise to be very loud in the cockpit by default with the -400, which I am assuming is accurate. I have always heard the 747 is very loud upfront. I noticed a difference with the -800 where the wind noise is much quieter. Did Boeing put more noise dampening material in the 747-800? It seems to be a much quieter bird overall.

Don't know what they did, maybe more shielding in the -8 but yes, the -8 is quite a bit quieter up front and yes the 74 in general is not a quiet aircraft.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

3 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

the 74 in general is not a quiet aircraft.

Oh man, you should try the C-130... that stands for a true definition of Noise 😄 😄 😄😄😄 

5 hours ago, Samany69 said:

Oh man, you should try the C-130... that stands for a true definition of Noise 😄 😄 😄😄😄 

2000 hrs in the herk.  110 db!

But honestly, I have 4500hrs in a Beech 1900C and it was so loud I wore ear plugs in my Noise Canceling headset just to keep my sanity.

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

1 hour ago, thibodba57 said:

2000 hrs in the herk.  110 db!

But honestly, I have 4500hrs in a Beech 1900C and it was so loud I wore ear plugs in my Noise Canceling headset just to keep my sanity.

The B-25 is really loud.  The B707 wasn't to bad, just a little louder than the B747-200s I've jump-seated on.  The DC-10 and MD-11 were much better.

The loudest I flew was an AH-1G is SE Asia with a 20MM on it.  The "G" was very quite, but even with noise canceling helmet and ear plugs my ears still ring after a short burst from the "20". 🤣

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

2 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

I have 4500hrs in a Beech 1900C and it was so loud I wore ear plugs in my Noise Canceling headset just to keep my sanity.

Ever sat in the cabin of a MU-2J?  Torture chamber!!!

Dan Downs KCRP

4 minutes ago, downscc said:

Have not.  But I have do much hearing loss as is doesn't matter what aircraft I'm in. If I don't have some sort of ANR headset on I'm putting ear plugs in.

• Upvote 1

beta.gif   

My Liveries

9 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Have not.  But I have do much hearing loss as is doesn't matter what aircraft I'm in. If I don't have some sort of ANR headset on I'm putting ear plugs in.

Granted there is an added bonus not having to listen to all the screaming children around me also.  And by children I mean infants and their pilot counterparts.

beta.gif   

My Liveries

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Had to marshal one in back in college. It was after 9/11, and the airport was right next to the stadium, so the stadium TFR (Tech is NCAA D1, so it's included) shut the airport down essentially. Nobody really policed it, but people were usually pretty good about it. A bunch of people flew in, watched, and then flew out, so we waited to fuel everyone until the game started.

With nobody in or out, it got quiet, and I'd head out in the silence to fuel and listen for the stadium attendee reactions, along with the announcer, to get a sense for how we were doing (i.e. hearing protection was "unnecessary" and also inhibited your ability to hear the crowd/announcer, so I usually left it behind).

MU-2 rolled up and needed to be guided in (our ramp got packed for a tiny, uncontrolled airport back then - if anyone looks at a sat image, the ramp has been significantly improved since then, too). It was so loud that my eyes welled up. From then on, I always had hearing protection in the truck (mouse ears), or in my pocket (plugs).

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

The "SCREECH" of Suriname's DH-6's sticks with me to this day. OMG, "what is wrong with those things?!?" I'd ask myself. In comparison, every other type was wonderfully quiet...