Sign in to follow this  
Nikolakis

IPS Monitor - Night flights - Bleeding

I want to upgrade my 22" TN monitor to a 27" IPS and i was wondering, what if a monitor has severe IPS glow (backlight bleeding), would it be visible during night flying?

If there's anyone who has a monitor with backlight bleeding it would help if he can share his experience!

unless you find an OLED panel monitor they're all going to display a certain amount of bleed. what you consider acceptable is something that you could only quantify by having the monitor with the ambient lighting you normally have when you fly. maybe look up QLED also.
I would do as much research as possible about what's available in your price range.

I know that non OLED/QLED monitors have more or less bleeding which is part depended on their quality.

The thing i'm asking is if it's visible during night conditions in flight simming. Even if a monitor has bleeding, in most of the cases it's not visible (for example when browsing, watching a movie, etc). It's only visible when in almost total black conditions. And since night flying is close to that hense the question.

OLED/QLED monitors is out of my budget.

On 2/26/2019 at 4:37 AM, Nikolakis said:

I know that non OLED/QLED monitors have more or less bleeding which is part depended on their quality.

The thing i'm asking is if it's visible during night conditions in flight simming. Even if a monitor has bleeding, in most of the cases it's not visible (for example when browsing, watching a movie, etc). It's only visible when in almost total black conditions. And since night flying is close to that hense the question.

OLED/QLED monitors is out of my budget.

Even if you're flying at night surely there is some ambient light in your room? Otherwise how can you see anything?

I think you're being a bit excessive about light bleed on LCD / LED displays. A good quality monitor (Samsung, BenQ) will not give you those problems. Buy a cheap one and it probably will. At the size you want an OLED is out of the question anyway. They start at 55".

You don't list your hardware. The graphics card is critical. Why limit yourself to a 27"? Hardly much bigger than 22". 32" should be your target. You don't mention a budget either. That's important.

Do your research and read independent reviews on monitors, not those on Amazon etc.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You will get IPS glow and it will be visible whenever your surroundings are dimly lit; that's why film buffs don't want IPS televisions. IPS is good for colour accuracy if you're doing graphics work. I would not use OLED for any computer work as they are sensitive to burn in, unless you want to see the Windows taskbar during all your flights...

For flight simming a VA is most appropriate as you have better contrast, less bleed, reasonable viewing angle and the slower response time would not be an issue. But don't rule out a good TN, it's what I'm using and they represent good value if you don't need wide viewing angles or need good response times.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I had a cheap Asus  24" 1920x1200 IPS before getting my current IPS monitor. At night even the cheap slow as molasses 24"  looked  good in the cockpit of a PMDG liner ...but ghosting and sync issues were really noticeable during the day, hence the reason I went for a hi performance IPS.

Would I get a cheap IPS again? no. I'd probably get a hi performance TN if on a no break budget. A slow IPS is really slow ....So yeah, you're going to have to pay at least $600 (US) for a quality 27 inch IPS ....worth every penny IMHO.

On my Dell u2415, glow on the edges looked like the horizon at pre-dawn. After upgrading to a LG 27ud88, there isn’t even a slight hint of backlight bleed. The price difference between the 2 displays were significant ($650 vs $250)... so I’m of the opinion that higher end monitors suffer less from ips backlight bleed. Also, if anyone cares...the lg is freesync (40hz to 60hz), and  with the newest nvidia drivers, gsync works well...no issues there.

Asus Strix X570-E  |  Ryzen 9 5950X  |  Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC  |  GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600  |  Samsung 970 EVO  |  Acer Predator XB271HU  |  Windows 10 Pro