Sign in to follow this  
13ifs40

Captain Sim 777

Hello all

I was wondering about getting this product figuring it has had some time to mature.     I have a old computer circa 2013 running FSX Gold addition 

and I figure my system is not powerful enough to run the PMDG version.    So i would like to know if this is worth the 60 bucks and if it has improved at all

thanks for all your help in advance

13ifs40

The reviews are favorable and so are the videos showing it in flight.  However, I would wait for a CS sale when you might be able to get the aircraft for $10.  Here's an entertaining video!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 hours ago, 13ifs40 said:

Hello all

I was wondering about getting this product figuring it has had some time to mature.     I have a old computer circa 2013 running FSX Gold addition 

and I figure my system is not powerful enough to run the PMDG version.    So i would like to know if this is worth the 60 bucks and if it has improved at all.

I’m not sure why you’re under the impression that the PMDG 777 is hard to run on an older system. I use it on a system I built in 2013 as well, 2700K at 3.85ghz, GTX670 and 8gb RAM. The PMDG 777 is actually pretty easy of FPS in my system but it depends on how fast your CPU is running. If your 3.0ghz or less it might cause issues. 

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

10 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’m not sure why you’re under the impression that the PMDG 777 is hard to run on an older system. I use it on a system I built in 2013 as well, 2700K at 3.85ghz, GTX670 and 8gb RAM. The PMDG 777 is actually pretty easy of FPS in my system but it depends on how fast your CPU is running. If your 3.0ghz or less it might cause issues. 

+1 for that. My system is also fairly old - i7-3550K at 3.5GHz, GTX670 and 16GB of RAM running FSX Acceleration - and I can run the PMDG 777 quite comfortably on it. Its VAS footprint is quite high however so you have to be cautious about using it with VAS intensive addons but a scenery configurator can help a lot here by just loading the scenery you need. This proviso however also applies to the Captain Sim 777 whose VAS footprint is almost as high. I have both on my system and both visually are very nice but I mostly tend to use the PMDG version as it’s systems are more reliable.  

Although the PMDG 777 is expensive, the CS 777 retailing at $60 is not cheap either and, if you are going to pay that much, I personally would recommend paying the extra $30 for the really superb PMDG product. If however, as Jim suggests, you can find the 777 in a Captain Sim sale for $10 then that’s another ball game!

Bill

7 minutes ago, Avidean said:

When is that CS $10 annual sale?

At a certain time of the year, CS have a $9.99 Sales Offers window. Just need to keep a look-out for such an announcement either from CS directly, or in the Bargain Hunters Forum here.

wow   song on the video was so good i brought it from Itunes,    anyway   i got a Dell XPS 8700     it has 

2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard drive

NVDIA Geforce GTX650 1.0GB GDDR5

4th Gen Intel Core I7-4770 Processor  8M Cache  3.9GHZ

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHZ

Win 7 64 Bit Pro

I do flight simming twice a week             so it is not like i am flying all the time       

47 minutes ago, 13ifs40 said:

wow   song on the video was so good i brought it from Itunes

I hope it did not wake any children in the house.  LOL.  I had my volume turned up and it woke me up!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

At a certain time of the year,

Yes, I am aware that they have an annual $10 sale. It's the time of year that they have the sale I'm trying to determine. Last time I saw anything about it, I believe its around September. I think it's the same time every year?

44 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Yes, I am aware that they have an annual $10 sale. It's the time of year that they have the sale I'm trying to determine. Last time I saw anything about it, I believe its around September. I think it's the same time every year?

Historically, it occurs around Christmas...I've picked up 757, 767, 777 and 757 VIII over the last 4 years during said Christmas sale. 

Matt King

1 minute ago, kingm56 said:

Historically, it occurs around Christmas

Great! Only 10 months to go!

2 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Great! Only 10 months to go!

LOL...they've had a couple of 'out-of-cycle' sales too, Dave.  I've got to say, for $25, the 757 Capt III is one of the best value purchases I've made for Flight Sim.  In FSX, I never flew their 757 or 767 because of bugs and performance issues; however, the 757 VIII is smooth and pretty reliable (occasionally, it has some odd VNAV behaviors).  Moreover, there are plenty of repaints for the base version; in fact, I'm not buying the cargo extension until their next sale; in the mean time, I'll just use a UPS texture for their base pack.  In short, when you see this aircraft go on sale, I'd pick it up without hesitation.   

Matt King

Well i know extra add ons in the sim effects the performance  (i think)   

all i run is GSX and Active sky weather and my only airport add on is EGLL not to mention i fly maybe twice a week

and i would like to have some smooth long haul flights

13ifs40