I have noticed that after my P3D installs a fair amount of drive space is eaten up, taking my P3D install drive almost to zero, making it hard to upgrade the sim when bug releases and upgrades are released.  I finally raked my P3D install drive for large files using an advanced search and found that P3D left a ton of cab files on my hard drive (really not a ton, I am exaggerating lol) but enough to eat up about 17 gigs or so of hard drive space in the form of left behind cab files in folders that have nothing to do with the P3D install.  How rude, (just kidding Lockheed Martin, I love P3D).  So my tip if you want to free up drive space, do a search and destroy on these cab files, you can either move them to your recycle bin or highlight them and do a "shift delete" which nukes them, so to speak.  Or you can download a payware or freeware B29 but I do not think it will work, since nuking is not allowed in our world anymore...

Cactus521

I don't really get the sense of this thread, sorry. Disk space was never cheaper than nowadays and personally I would not run P3D off anything else anymore than a SSD. For a SSD, it is in any case rather useful to have at least 10% of it free, as soon as my dedicated P3D SSD is 90% full, I simply go an get a bigger one or a second one.

If 17GB more or less is really an issue for you, I would seriously consider upgrading the disk instead of deleting .cab files...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I don't really get the sense of this thread, sorry. Disk space was never cheaper than nowadays and personally I would not run P3D off anything else anymore than a SSD. For a SSD, it is in any case rather useful to have at least 10% of it free, as soon as my dedicated P3D SSD is 90% full, I simply go an get a bigger one or a second one.

If 17GB more or less is really an issue for you, I would seriously consider upgrading the disk instead of deleting .cab files...

That is my plan, to either get a 2TB SSD or 2TB hard drivw this month.  What would you suggest?

Just now, John_Cillis said:

That is my plan, to either get a 2TB SSD or 2TB hard drivw this month.  What would you suggest?

I would, personally, go with an SSD drive rather than a mechanical HDD

1 minute ago, vc10man said:

I would, personally, go with an SSD drive rather than a mechanical HDD

I will take your advice then, more photo scenery and aircraft add ons, that is what our hobby is all about!

I have a sanDisk 500Gb SSD running my P3Dv4 and PMDG, CS, FSL, Majestic aircraft add-ons, and then FSDT, Imaginesim, Flightbeam, Orbx, UK2000,T2G, Latin, DD, etc,etc airports, sceneries, etc, FSUPIC, EFB2, PFPX2, GSX, etc, and don't have any issues.

Edited by vc10man

28 minutes ago, vc10man said:

I have a sanDisk 500Gb SSD running my P3Dv4 and PMDG, CS, FSL, Majestic aircraft add-ons, and then FSDT, Imaginesim, Flightbeam, Orbx, UK2000,T2G, Latin, DD, etc,etc airports, sceneries, etc, FSUPIC, EFB2, PFPX2, GSX, etc, and don't have any issues.

Same here  (all Orbx + Netherlands TE), and still 90GB left

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

And I thought you need the leftover cab files in case you need to run a repair ??

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

You also have to take into account windows reserves some of your C windows drive that cannot be used by other programs. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

22 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have yet to sample the delights of an SSD....

You should give a try, Christopher. Much faster access times. Windows loads faster, P3D loads faster. No mechanical wiper arms and platters.