Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Matt2218

Simulating the 900ER / Derated Takeoffs

Recommended Posts

Hello!

I recently made the jump from FSX to P3D and bought the NGX (again, LOL).

Are you guys flying the -900 much? If so, do you have any rules of thumb for setting assumed temperature for derated takeoffs? I have TOPCAT...any way to use that (ie extrapolate downward from 737-800 results or something?).

Also, I recognize that the 900ER has greater capability due to higher weights and more exits, but otherwise the 900 flies like a 900ER (assuming the short field package option is selected), right?

I'm not obsessed with 100% fidelity with the 900 model, just looking to fly it like a 900ER on shorter routes with some degree of realism. Welcome your thoughts...

 

Matt Smith

 


Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I have a copy of TOPER for the 737 is the -900.  It only gives ATM and not derate but it is good enough for simulation.


Dan Downs KCRP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use ToPs, and gives everything I need for a derated takeoff.

https://secure.simmarket.com/tops-takeoff-performance-system-fsx-p3d.phtml


AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, NVidia 3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, Crucial MX500 SSD. VR Oculus Quest 2

You Tube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's also QSimPlanner which I use and it's freeware. Does more than just takeoff performance, too.

Why would the short field package make it more like a 900ER?


Prepar3D v5.2 | PMDG 737NGXu/777 | FSLabs A320/A321 | www.united-virtual.com | www.deltava.org | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB | RTX 3090 24 GB MSI Suprim X | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, the -900ER does not fly like a straight -900.  There's grumbling when you pull paperwork and see you're in an old -900, especially if it's windy ;-).

Therein lies the biggest difference - approach speeds are significantly inflated on the -900 for tail strike protection, so with flaps 30 + wind additive on a gusty day, target speed can be well into the 150s, which puts you close to flap overspeed/blow back. 

The ER fixes this mostly artificially, with a two-position tailskid that extends with the gear, but there are definitely aerodynamic changes too... the straight -900 flies like a truck, the -ER has a much nicer feel. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Nah, the -900ER does not fly like a straight -900.  There's grumbling when you pull paperwork and see you're in an old -900, especially if it's windy ;-).

Therein lies the biggest difference - approach speeds are significantly inflated on the -900 for tail strike protection, so with flaps 30 + wind additive on a gusty day, target speed can be well into the 150s, which puts you close to flap overspeed/blow back. 

The ER fixes this mostly artificially, with a two-position tailskid that extends with the gear, but there are definitely aerodynamic changes too... the straight -900 flies like a truck, the -ER has a much nicer feel. 

 

Thanks Andrew, good to know but also kind of disappointing.

After spending $120 to get effectively the same FSX product I already had for this new sim, I wouldn't be offended if PMDG threw in the -900ER or the raindrops etc. as a bennie for loyal customers, even this late in the game.

Edited by Matt2218

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Matt2218 said:

 

Thanks Andrew, good to know but also kind of disappointing.

After spending $120 to get effectively the same FSX product I already had for this new sim, I wouldn't be offended if PMDG threw in the -900ER or the raindrops etc. as a bennie for loyal customers, even this late in the game.

Don‘t hold your breath... the NG3 is in development, I personally doubt there will be any updates to the 737NGX of this kind.

  • Upvote 1

,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

Don‘t hold your breath... the NG3 is in development, I personally doubt there will be any updates to the 737NGX of this kind.

 

Indeed...not actively hoping for or expecting anything.

 


Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt2218 said:

Are you guys flying the -900 much?

Honestly, the 900 is complete bull**t when it comes to ground handling. Luckily the last airline flying is gone here. This AC is tail tipping just by looking at it, it's so fast on its back, that the caterer cant caters in the fwd galley until you have at least 50 pieces in the 3.

(maybe company procedure). even though its annoying as hell.


Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarding air cargo trainee and Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.4 Rig: CPU I7-6800K 6x4.0 GHz | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 1080 FTW @2025 Mhz | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt2218 said:

Are you guys flying the -900 much? If so, do you have any rules of thumb for setting assumed temperature for derated takeoffs? I have TOPCAT...any way to use that (ie extrapolate downward from 737-800 results or something?).

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/391764-topcat-configuration-for-pmdg-738ngx/ mjght help .....

  • Upvote 1

for now, cheers

john martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SierraHotel said:

I use ToPs, and gives everything I need for a derated takeoff.

https://secure.simmarket.com/tops-takeoff-performance-system-fsx-p3d.phtml

Can't believe I've never heard of that tool before.  Does it work pretty well,  and do the takeoffs feel realistic (flight deck angle, v1 stop distance and such). It's cheap enough I'll get it anyway.  Just never heard of it before 


~William Genovese~

  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg         KAB200_sig3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 30K said:

caterer cant caters in the fwd galley until you have at least 50 pieces in the 3.

This should surely be the other way around? Can't cater the aft galley unless there's some in 2?

I presume I ought not to show you the Delta tail tipping video then? 🙂


Prepar3D v5.2 | PMDG 737NGXu/777 | FSLabs A320/A321 | www.united-virtual.com | www.deltava.org | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB | RTX 3090 24 GB MSI Suprim X | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Nah, the -900ER does not fly like a straight -900.  There's grumbling when you pull paperwork and see you're in an old -900, especially if it's windy ;-).

Therein lies the biggest difference - approach speeds are significantly inflated on the -900 for tail strike protection, so with flaps 30 + wind additive on a gusty day, target speed can be well into the 150s, which puts you close to flap overspeed/blow back. 

The ER fixes this mostly artificially, with a two-position tailskid that extends with the gear, but there are definitely aerodynamic changes too... the straight -900 flies like a truck, the -ER has a much nicer feel. 

Do you as an actual pilot like flying the 900ER? I've read some reports of pilots not being so happy with it, mainly because it's so prone to tail strike and makes rotation and flaring 'uncomfortable'.


Prepar3D v5.2 | PMDG 737NGXu/777 | FSLabs A320/A321 | www.united-virtual.com | www.deltava.org | i9 9900K 5 GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB | RTX 3090 24 GB MSI Suprim X | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...