Sign in to follow this  
Robert Kirkland

Another Terrorist linked to the Flight Simming Community!

Paul:What the poster does for a living or for whom, is of no concern to you.However, the poster posted because this is a place where people post news in relation to the fs community, good or bad. If bad news disturbs you, then put on your blinders and dig a hole in which to hide with your blankie OR simply don't read them. It would be obvious to me that you would be totally afraid to read the news paper or turn on the news on TV... surely you live in Shangrila where there is no bad news?Grow up.Mike T.

Guest Daniel Pimentel

That's sad, next time you check we'll get cracked on although we've done nothing wrong, just like it's happening with airplane spotters. The obsessive paranoia over terrorism won't stop it from happening, neither will banning stuff and intimidating people. As far as I'm concerned, they can watch me all they want... Nothing to hide here. But I doubt that's the only repercussion this type of news will have on the community.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!How come nobody is linking gang shootouts in big cities to playing Quake or Doom? It's a much less preposterous conclusion than supposing someone on a flight sim might be a terrorist in training. But labeling terrorists "cowards, losers" etc is an oversimplification itself. After all, they are willing to die for what they believe. They survive because they can tap into a ready well of resentment, formed over decades because too often democracy stops at the border. Free western `nations have supported countless repressive regimes in their own supposed self interest. The loss of Iran as an ally because its people identified the US with the Shah, our turning to support of Iraq which then rolled over Kuwait and led to foreign troops being deployed to Saudi Arabia- Isn't it about time the chain gets broken? Even now, Pakistan is one of our closest allies. Ever check out their record on human rights?Even if Bin Laden is caught or killed, the underlying resentment must be removed or many others will be willing to take his place. If the western Democracies actually start practicing beyond their borders, our current enemies will be reduced to a bunch of individual "Lee Harvey Oswald" types who will mostly choke on their own venom. Nobody will follow them across the street, much less to death.As for increased surveilance of flite sim enthusiasts, what else is new? Speaking as someone who worked at an airport in 2001, it was pilot-lounge gossip that arab immigrants were acting suspiciously at flight schools. In August 2001, after the arrest of "the 20th hijacker", it was clear at least to me their plans would go to the fast track. One acusation against him was a plot to bomb airport terminals in California. What was the destination of every hijacked plane, and what do relatives do when a plane goes down? Go to the airport. I went to Washington and had a conversation that the Chief of the White House detail of the Secret Service was present for. An attack by hijacked airliners on the World Trade Center was clearly discussed. I'm not holding my breath till the videotape sees the light of day. But one other method of attack I expressed concern about, which intelligence has already shown the terrorists have interest in, is still not dealt with adequately in the milti-billion dollar airport security package.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guess I am in Deep Kim Chee. I have over 2000 hours of FS2004 time. Of course this person also attached a rail line. Did they check for MSTS time as well?

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Book yr holiday in Hawaii and this wont be a concern.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

"But labeling terrorists "cowards, losers" etc is an oversimplification itself. After all, they are willing to die for what they believe. They survive because they can tap into a ready well of resentment, formed over decades because too often democracy stops at the border."That's also an oversimplification, I feel. Anyone can be brainwashed into believing that dying for what they believe is worthwhile by having their belief structure manipulated. I for one think where democracy stops makes no difference. Even in the most progressive country, you'll find people who don't fire on all cylinders. They exist in their beliefs in part because they convince themselves and people they rope in that it's everyone else's fault. The U.S. isn't perfect nor is Britain or any other country that's a target. But do you think these people are dying so democracy can be extended to their borders? They are dying because some master manipulator, like Saddam, Bin Laden, Arafat--whoever--taught them to throw their lives away for the Bin Laden, Arafat or Saddam "vision" of a dream world. None of those I mention have/had any intent on bringing democracy to the Middle East. Just tell the women brutalized and raped by the Taliban whether they lived in a democracy. I believe as a forum "moderator" I should stay neutral, but I bristle when anyone even remotely links these types of attacks to a valid "cause". These kids aren't dying for a cause--they are dying because someone told them 40 or 60 or 80 virgins are waiting around the corner. I agree we can't call them cowards--even I believed in the tooth fairy once--but Bin Laden, Saddam, or anyone leading the new, "free" Iran? I bet you they wouldn't even last a few rounds with a five year old, judging from the "guts" they show by roping in 19 year olds into brainwashing and their deaths.-John

Donny all I can say about that is these guys need to quit attacking the little people. The people who are victims because of the governments they live under. The people that go to work day in and day out whose survival depends on the shaky prospect of increasingly lower paid employment and no guarantee of retirement (United Airlines)... We as Americans (and I'm sure the same can be said in England) all but have no say in our own politics anymore, our presidential choices, and the dirt they do all over the world, yet we are the targets of the retaliatory efforts based on our governments choices (far from our own).One of the last true freedoms I have (since economically I've hit a glass ceiling) is coming home and downloading the latest FS release. FS sadly is one of the last few joys I have in life (since I've figured out how crappy women can be..lol...). Technology is hear to move us forward and just because we have this tool (or any tool for that matter) someone is going to find a way to corrupt it. Just like the abuse of power Corporations have all over the world. A good point was made above about DOOM and Ganges. When youth gange crime is rampant in the inner cities of countries around the world no one says let's redirect what children are exposed to. No one pulls the violent self destructive music off the shelves or puts heat on companies that produce titles like 'Grand Theft Auto', MTV or VH1 for the over sexed content that is marketed to children. As soon as the rich are threatened then the fingers are pointed. Flight Simulation seems to carry the brunt of scrutiny by the powers that be. 9/11 was tragic but so is the deterioration of the American society (I can't speak for other places). It

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

billg:"As it stands, innocent people are being grabbed by police and held on the ground while shots are fired into their head just in case they're carrying a bomb."Let's not exagerate to that extent, Bill. It's not "innocent people", it was one person, and he brought it on himself.The individual in question had a 'Middle Eastern' appearance (Yes, I know he turned out to be Brazilian) and came out of the building where bombs had been made, wearing a backpack similar to those the bombers carried their bombs in. When the police told him to stop, he ran from them, ran into a tube station, vaulted the turnstiles and forced his way onto a departing train. When the cops tackled him and forced him to the ground, one of them saw him trying to put his hand into the front of his jacket and thought he was going for a trigger switch, so they shot him.Unfortunate? Yes. Avoidable? Yes - by the guy not running from the police in the first place, and not fighting with them when he was caught. Had the police NOT shot him, and it had turned out that he was in fact a bomber going for a switch and reached it, there'd be a train full of corpses - and the same people now criticizing the police for shooting him would be criticizing them for letting him trigger his bomb.The police have said that they're satisfied he wasn't involved in the bombings, and it's a shame it happened - but he brought his shooting on himself by running when he was told to stop.Richard

>Perhaps the next FS Version could include a lockout of some>sort that would block any direct navigation to ANY building in>FS. >Sort of an invisible 200 mile range "bubble" when at an>altitude that would cause a building crash?? Just a thought.>Might stop some "idiot" from trying to practice such a>manuever.>Smilies later on aside, I think you were serious about that post.I hope you intend on banning Whitewater Rafting as well, since a couple of them spent a few hours on that hobby as well.These Moron pathetic thug terrorists didn't get near an airplane with all these alleged hours of training on a PC Game, so I find the whole assumption stupid as it has nothing to do with the terrorist bombings that did occur.These acts are scourges on society and civilization as a whole. I would say more, but I have better places to post my thoughts on these scum. And I do.Sonar5aopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

I really wish the>news quit trying at every opportunity to link terrorism to>Flight Simulation. They may as well report the guy drank>Coke, ate McDonalds, and had a monthy bus pass

BobK

>Donny all I can say about that is these guys need to quit>attacking the little people. The people who are victims>because of the governments they live under. The people that>go to work day in and day out whose survival depends on the>shaky prospect of increasingly lower paid employment and no>guarantee of retirement (United Airlines)... We as Americans>(and I'm sure the same can be said in England) all but have no>say in our own politics anymore, our presidential choices, and>the dirt they do all over the world, yet we are the targets of>the retaliatory efforts based on our governments choices (far>from our own).>We as Americans.....Speak for yourself and not for others please. I don't subscribe to your theory and I disagree with it 100%.You don't like something do something about it to change it, and take responsibility for it. Statements like yours where you attempt to speak for others should not be made.You don't speak for me, so please use the words "I" instead of we and all.I'd appreciate itAs for the little people comment, I wonder if the victims families appreciate you referring to their dead relatives as little people. Try a different analogy instead of compartmentalizing them into your little definition of the world.Oh, and you don't choose a President, you choose Electors to choose a President, you know, just to clear that up for those that haven't passed a US History Test.As for Joys in life, I suggest you find other hobbies besides this one.Me, I just spent a week on Catalina Island at Emerald Bay with my 14 year old son. He earned his Shotgun, Rowing, and Environmental Science Merit Badge, needs only 3 more for eagle Scout and a Project. I thoroughly enjoyed shooting about 130 Shells from a Remington 1100 12 Guage. I also went Canoeing, Kayaking, .22 rifle Shooting, Archery, Rowed for a mile while someone did a mile swim, and had an awesome time doing a whole bunch of other stuff too. Sonar5aopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

"The people who are victims because of the governments they live under.... yet we are the targets of the retaliatory efforts based on our governments choices (far from our own)."Sorry, Dillon, but you are TOTALLY wrong here. The Islamic terrorists do not hate us because of what we DO, they hate us because of what we ARE. They may say "This attack is because of so-and-so", but it's a lie - we could withdraw every British and American soldier from every country in the world with even a minority Muslim population, and they'd still hate us, and they'd still attack us.The attacks of 9/11 did not occur because of the first Gulf war ten years before. They didn't occur because the US favours the Israelis over the Palestinians or because Bin Laden is annoyed at his cousins in the House of Saud for allowing "infidel" military bases on Saudi soil. They occured because we are free peoples giving equal rights to all our citizens, regardless of religion or gender, and this is anathema to them.Almost all of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudis. Why would Saudis be mad at us for defending their ally - the Islamic nation of Kuwait - against their enemy - the secular non-Islamic nation of Iraq? The answer is that they weren't. They hate us because their religion teaches that not only should THEY follow its rules, but that they should impose those rules on everyone else. They hate us because their daughters want to listen to Britney Spears and watch Orlando Blooms movies, because their sisters want to be allowed to drive, or to have a say in choosing their own husbands, and even because we allow Muslims equal religious rights in our mostly Christian countries, but don't allow them to ignore secular law and live according to Shari'a even in the middle of a Western democracy.The Imams call the western troops in the middle east "Crusaders" and hark back to the Crusades of the Dark Ages, but the fact is the Islamic terrorists are the Crusaders of today. They seek what the Christian Crusaders of 800 years ago sought - to impose their religious and cultural beliefs on others by force of arms. The left can bleat all they want about "What did we do to bring this on ourselves?" but they won't listen to the answer. We brought it on ourselves simply by being what we are. There is NOTHING that we can do to stop the Islamists from hating us, because it's not for what we do that they hate us.Spread democracy to the Middle East? We're already seeing the end result of that idea in Iraq. The vast majority of the people dying at the hands of the terrorists are Iraqi's who want to see just that - the insurgents are killing them because they don't WANT a democratic Iraq. They know that the majority of the population or Iraq have no desire to live in a theocracy, so their only hope of establishing one is to kill the leaders who are trying to establish a democracy. The best we can hope for is not peace in Iraq, it's merely an Iraq in which the pro-democracy majority is powerfull enough to fight its own battles with the insurgents. And when that day comes and the last western troops leave the country, we will STILL be the targets of terrorist attacks from the Islamic fundamentalists, because they will see the success of democracy as just another attack on their beliefs, and all "our fault".Richard

Well said, Richard. Too many people get their ideas of what's going on in this world by watching CNN, BBC or reading a rag like the Washington Post. The real world is another story altogether. They'll find that out someday - just hope it's not too late, at that point. Bob

BobK

Ooo! Now that's ACTIVE (as opposed to passive) "Sonar"! I don't always agree with you, but in this case....you nailed it. :)Bob

BobK

Paul, are there any "safe" (ones where you don't have to worry about being a target of some kind), affordable beaches available, that have warm water and nice weather? It seems they are getting fewer and farther between. As a Miamian, it's always amazed me that people will go to Cuba, and patronize Castro, but I guess that more and more these days, it's becoming one of the safest non-democracies left. :) Of course you can always visit one of the nice beaches on the Florida Gulf Coast - as long as you can schedule around hurricanes. But then, Cuba is getting those too. At least the hurricanes aren't out to get you because of whom or what you are....

BobK