Sign in to follow this  
Quijote

Approach isn't using current weather

Hi Dave,

I have been using P2A a lot recently and have noted that, when I first load a flight plan - even before the sim is connected, that P2A puts a magenta line on the destination airport indicating the preferred approach. Fine, but after I connect the sim (and force real time weather), approach continues to recommend a runway that is not correct for the wind. Usually it is the same one as the magenta line.

BTW, I have P2A set to use the sim weather.

It would be nice if P2A would check the sim wind at the time when Center turns control over to Approach so that Approach recommends a runway that is appropriate. Am I missing something that I should be doing?

The runway selection should match the weather reported by P2A.  Check the Weather after connecting and see what the winds are that P2A is seeing.  Also, when using SIM Weather, make sure the SIM Weather is up to date before connecting.  There could be a 5+ minute lag in updating the weather, depending on refresh rate set in Config.

The final runway selection is checked just before you get the Arrival call "Expect …..".  However, if you have Force Pilot Runway Selection option checked, then it will always select the runway in the flight plan, regardless of winds.

Dave

I have the same problem, playing with FS Global Weather.

I have waited over 15min and intervall was set to 5 but Pilot2ATC didnt Chance the rwy. FS Global Weather.

X-Plane also use the other RWY for IFR and WT3 planes also land correctly.

Fs Global Weather path is: C/Programm/FSGRW_P3Dv4\data\exchange\comon and then I think P2A take the \current_weathercomplete.txt file

Thanks Dave, I had Force Pilot Runway Selection checked. Unchecked now.

I am going to set NOAA weather and see if that works better with a 5 minute update. I use NOAA in the sim now as well although I find that it sometimes gives me zero wind after I load even though the xplane menu says 7 knots..  Well, not your problem.  Thanks again......

Runway selection looks at more than just winds, but if winds are light, then the odds of getting a different runway go up.  You can set the runway to whatever you like by checking the "Force Pilot Runway Selection" option in Config and then set the Arrival Runway in  the STAR or APPR assignment windows.

If you think the weather is not being read correctly, you can open the current_weathercomplete.txt file and find the airport in question.  Read the METAR from the file and compare to the weather display in P2A.

• Like 1

Thanks again Dave,

I forgot to mention that I was flying VFR, using a direct heading in the GPS. So there was never a runway in the flight plan - just airport to airport. But I think it is working pretty well now.

I have had some more strange runway assignments after making the suggested changes. But, the winds were fairly light. So the 64,000$ question - how strong do the winds have to be to force a runway selection?

16 hours ago, Quijote said:

I have had some more strange runway assignments after making the suggested changes. But, the winds were fairly light. So the 64,000$ question - how strong do the winds have to be to force a runway selection?

If this is FSX or P3D, and if P2A is using the AI traffic landing/takeoff direction as the indication as to which to use (as most ATC programs do), then I think it needs to be above 7 knots, or around there. Otherwise AI can use either direction (and do!)

Active Sky has a facility to force this on the surface wind at your planned airports. I think it's an option and probably needs the plan loading.

Pete

• Like 1

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen