Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Black on Engine/Wing since update

Hi all,

I installed the update this evening and loaded into the plane and noticed there is now black on the wing and on the engines. I believe it might be a shaders issue? I'm not sure how to resolve it though. I tried clearing the shaders but no joy. It looks fine when you are inside the plane and look at the specific areas but in outside view, its black. I know someone else who had the problem and they just reinstalled P3D to fix it but I don't really want to do that If I don't need to. I do not use tomato shade but do have PTA installed. I've tried clearing the cache and also set it back to the original P3D shaders but the issue still exists. 

Any ideas?

be2d85272f70c49971e5f0b8890c1218.png

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

Since the other customer also uses pta and has the same issue it must be a pta issue. I will share this thread with him. Hope you guys find a solution. Its new to me. Also the interior model does not have PBR. So again pta and PBR must have a conflict. And i am sure pta will fix this because PBR is the future for P3D V4.

You said your other friend re installed P3D and solved it. Well since this other customer just installed V4.4 fresh and has pta this proves pta must alter files. So i suggest not using pta until they have a fix. I hopr un installing pta is good enough or running the V4.4 client so it just updates the files.

Edited by Flysimware

Are the gear struts black? Also the fuselage has PBR. Almost all the parts on the exterior have PBR.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, MattGarner said:

Hi all,

I installed the update this evening and loaded into the plane and noticed there is now black on the wing and on the engines. I believe it might be a shaders issue? I'm not sure how to resolve it though. I tried clearing the shaders but no joy. It looks fine when you are inside the plane and look at the specific areas but in outside view, its black. I know someone else who had the problem and they just reinstalled P3D to fix it but I don't really want to do that If I don't need to. I do not use tomato shade but do have PTA installed. I've tried clearing the cache and also set it back to the original P3D shaders but the issue still exists. 

Any ideas?

be2d85272f70c49971e5f0b8890c1218.png

As a matter of fact, though I cannot tell you what is causing it, I can tell you I dealt with this from another user. He tried reverting his shaders to no avail, we tried to go through everything and it came down to a full reinstall of P3D. He reinstalled P3D, and the leading edges were back to normal. He's using Tomatoshade, and has since re-applied his shaders and everything is perfect. I use tomatoshade as well, and have absolutely no issues. The only thing I can recommend, unfortunately, is a full reinstall of the sim.

I back tracked everything, and there was nothing irregular with the aircraft, it is 100% either corrupt shaders that won't revert, or something of the sorts.

Link to my personal website where my work is shown.
https://eliamonater.wixsite.com/wickeddesigns

On 2/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, MattGarner said:

Any ideas?

Another tip, I believe he tried this as well though... I would try reverting shaders, and then doing a client repair to see if that fixes it, before having to do a full reinstall.

*Edit*
Another thing, If you only installed the client update for P3D 4.4, I would try installing the content and scenery, just to be on the safe side.

Edited by Wickedbacon92

Link to my personal website where my work is shown.
https://eliamonater.wixsite.com/wickeddesigns

I have had the same problem - black engine inlets, leading edged of the wings, and outer 'hubcaps' of the main gear. If I posted a screenshot it would look exactly like the above posts.  I have no shader modification add ons or even texture modification add ons of any kind installed, or previously installed. I just recently upgraded the P3dv4.3 client to P3dv4.4 and installed the falcon 50 after updating the client (only).  Based on readings here and in other forums it shouldn't be necessary to install the P3d content and scenery changes - what from those would the Falcon be drawing from?  (but I will cede on that point to others who know the P3D system better). 

Any thoughts on fixes? Seems like this is not just a PTA issue. 

35 minutes ago, Reverse said:

I have had the same problem - black engine inlets, leading edged of the wings, and outer 'hubcaps' of the main gear. If I posted a screenshot it would look exactly like the above posts.  I have no shader modification add ons or even texture modification add ons of any kind installed, or previously installed. I just recently upgraded the P3dv4.3 client to P3dv4.4 and installed the falcon 50 after updating the client (only).  Based on readings here and in other forums it shouldn't be necessary to install the P3d content and scenery changes - what from those would the Falcon be drawing from?  (but I will cede on that point to others who know the P3D system better). 

I agree i am thinking its not tomato or pta its upgrading from P3D V4.3 to V4.4 

When we were developing the PBR i could not see the PBR working after i updated using the client and the content and scenery. So i was forced to un install and do a fresh install of V4.4. Then the PBR worked. But also i never had black when it was not working. Just was not full PBR. It was like sun reflection only.

So i believe the upgrade for P3D V4 has issues.

I also only updated the client when updating from 4.3 to 4.4 and did not do any of the others. So it does seem there is something in the full install that is missing when you only do the client update that is related to PBR/Shaders/Whatever you want to call it then? As it seems anyone who has had problems, only did update the client. 

Edited by MattGarner

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

In the P3D forum there is a topic warning about updates after 4.4 where. It mentions the move to now using the Unicode format which might affect cfg text files might have something to do with this problem, might be worth a look?

16 hours ago, Reverse said:

I know some people have reported that the 4.4 client only install didn't take, and that they were still running 4.3.  Some people even reported that the .exe was the 4.4 .exe but not everything got updated...

Since #MattGarner got it working after a full reinstall, that is what I would do.

I am running PTA with 4.4 and the Falcon 50 1.7B and I even flew that exact model last night (the German registration one) and those black surfaces were chrome -- wonderful PBR chrome with nice reflections.  I must say though, it looks pretty good with black leading edges 😄

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

11 hours ago, MattGarner said:

In the end, I did a full P3D 4.4 install and the black has now vanished. I haven't re-applied the PTA reset I was using (yet) but I assume that would work with it.

Glad its solved. I also had to do a full install because upgrading did not work. I never had black but PBR would not work until i did a fresh install of V4.4

Reporting back - I updated the content to v4.4 as well and the black leading edge/engines issue is resolved for me as well (so content and client both updated from v4.3 to v4.4).  

Edited by Reverse