Sign in to follow this  
NewSkiesProject

New Flight Sim In Development

So about a year ago I started a project called New Skies it was supposed to be a open world flight simulator but I stoped December 2017 because well you can’t really make something like that on your own But recently I was talking to a friend about it who knew someone that might be able to support the project if I was to revive it I said sure so after starting the project again I started getting a lot of support around my community so now things have changed in 2020 (most likely) we plan to release a new open world flight simulator called New Skies with the hope of having the best aircraft physics and graphics possible! It will include a global idea of airports from small to big with aircraft including the following series (Current that we have planned) Boeing 717 Boeing 727 Boeing 737 Boeing 747 Airbus A320 Airbus A321 Airbus A330 Airbus A380 Embraer (Still deciding on what ones) Cessna 172 and a few other smaller aircraft. All of the Aircraft will include a VC and the sim will include realistic ATC

So since this is the first time the project was made public with a possible (wide spectrum) release date I was wondering if you guys have any ideas for the simulator?

Honestly, I would focus on good scenery (photorealistic, or open world like Arma) with a graphics engine that will support long term inivation and updating, VR is the future so be prepared to implement that as well. One thing I have seen from flightsim is they take years worth of development in order to reach their full potential. Even P3D has been in the works for 5+ years.  As far as aircraft go, less aircraft with more realism is what is going to keep your audience invested. It’s easy to create easy modes for an in-depth aircraft but hard to keep sim enthusiasts interested if the aircraft systems aren’t fully modeled. Ultimately start small with a lot of players input so as you develop you get the most help and criticism as possible. Starting a flight sim is not easy. Look at LM P3D, this company makes multi billion dollar aircraft for the military and didn’t even want to start over to create a new platform. So the more help and input you can get the better.

again this is all just my opinion. FWIW

2 minutes ago, mrchrsrider said:

Starting a flight sim is not easy. Look at LM P3D, this company makes multi billion dollar aircraft for the military and didn’t even want to start over to create a new platform.

Exactly, and the only other worthwhile alternative, X-Plane, has been in development for  25 years now...

Sounds ambitions.

Do you have a detailed feature list for what will be included in the first release so were not all replying with things you have already considered?

59 minutes ago, NewSkiesProject said:

So about a year ago I started a project called New Skies it was supposed to be a open world flight simulator but I stoped December 2017 because well you can’t really make something like that on your own But recently I was talking to a friend about it who knew someone that might be able to support the project if I was to revive it I said sure so after starting the project again I started getting a lot of support around my community so now things have changed in 2020 (most likely) we plan to release a new open world flight simulator called New Skies with the hope of having the best aircraft physics and graphics possible! It will include a global idea of airports from small to big with aircraft including the following series (Current that we have planned) Boeing 717 Boeing 727 Boeing 737 Boeing 747 Airbus A320 Airbus A321 Airbus A330 Airbus A380 Embraer (Still deciding on what ones) Cessna 172 and a few other smaller aircraft. All of the Aircraft will include a VC and the sim will include realistic ATC

So since this is the first time the project was made public with a possible (wide spectrum) release date I was wondering if you guys have any ideas for the simulator?

Aircraft flight dynamics are very important.  Some things other sims miss:

Crosswind handling

P-Factor

Reaction to thermal turbulence

Weight and balance issues

Moments of inertia (fluid feeling of an aircraft vs. the flying on rails experience)

Spatial awareness - being able to adjust the FOV in a 3D cockpit, which Xplane11 does very well

Interior modeling - this is especially important in commercial aircraft, interiors do not end just at the cockpit, neither do outside views

Ground handling - getting rolling resistance right based on aircraft takeoff weight, runway surface, and type of precipitation

Unless these are addressed in a sim, most people will stick with what they have, which is currently Xplane11, FSX Steam Edition, or P3DV4...  There are other competitors already out there but they still have a ways to go.   Of course I am only speaking Civilian sims here, Wings of Prey is my fav combat sim, for some reason, maybe not its accuracy but its immersion in combat.  When I get stressed, I go to that sim to shoot a few rounds off on anything that moves except for my wingman, lol

John

1 hour ago, NewSkiesProject said:

So about a year ago I started a project called New Skies it was supposed to be a open world flight simulator but I stoped December 2017

About a year ago = February 2018. But stopped in December 2017.  Oh, I know, it's a typo.  Some wonder how I can get suspicious of topics like this one especially when we know there are so many spammers and other devious people in the world who just like to have fun with their membership. 

I don't know what to tell you other than this topic is locked.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10