Hi Ray, I am currently using the latest 64-bit version, GIT P3Dv4 64Bit v3.6.3.1. 

Always used the 64-bit version since installing P3Dv4 (never tried the 32-bit with P3Dv4)

Edit: Just been informed that a new GIT version is available, 3.6.5.3. Have not tried it yet.

Edited by NBouc

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Mine didn't work properly before I even started using GIT, and since using it, it hasn't made any difference

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

9 hours ago, NBouc said:

Hi Ray, I am currently using the latest 64-bit version, GIT P3Dv4 64Bit v3.6.3.1. 

Always used the 64-bit version since installing P3Dv4 (never tried the 32-bit with P3Dv4)

Edit: Just been informed that a new GIT version is available, 3.6.5.3. Have not tried it yet.

Thanks Normand. I'll get the new version and give it a test.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I tried the latest 64-bit version of GIT today and no difference. I suspect it's the software and not the hardware. Still waiting for a reply from Steve at Pollypot.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray. I too did not notice any difference with the new 64-bit version of GIT. I tried the PMDG 777-200 using V/S instead of VNAV and the VS wheel increment is smoother and more linear than the NGX. It still can jump quickly to 6000 FPM if I turn it very fast, but with moderate movement, it is easier to set on the 777 than the NGX. But in either case, I should not turn the VS wheel with the same strength as with the HDG or IAS rotary switch 😉

Curiously, when using the HDG or IAS rotaries with the 777, the value does not increase as quickly as with the NGX, but still in a satisfactory fashion. I don't overshoot the desired value when setting it on the 777 as often as with the NGX. 

This for me rules out the hardware as the cause. The difference in smoothness between the NGX and the 777 must have to do with GIT itself, or the way it interacts with the corresponding PMDG SDK. Lets see what Steve will come up with.

Best regards,

• Like 1

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks Normand. I have no plans to buy the 777. Not heard back from Steve yet. Probably tomorrow.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've had a reply from Andy at Pollypot and he said I was the first to mention this. I did say a couple of others had reported it and gave him a link to this topic.

He provided me with a GoFlight utility for checking the MCP Pro. It records each movement of every switch, knob and dial. The IAS, Heading and Altitude knobs were fine but the V/S one was jumping about. Now whether that means a problem with the actual device as opposed to GIT we will know after Andy runs some tests.

To me it suggests a problem with the actual wheel since GIT wasn't running.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

"To me it suggests a problem with the actual wheel since GIT wasn't running."

That's exactly what I wrote in  my last post.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

6 hours ago, Freo said:

"To me it suggests a problem with the actual wheel since GIT wasn't running."

That's exactly what I wrote in  my last post.

I needed a way of narrowing down the problem without GIT running. Until Steve provided the GF program it wasn’t possible to see the effect of moving the wheel.

Depending on what Steve says I may ask a friend who is an electrical engineer for his opinion after examining it and if it is a poor quality switch whether it can be replaced.

Did you ever contact GoFlight about it given you’ve had it a fair while?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray, one thing it might be is the polling of the sensor by the driver. I believe that pollypot might still use the goflight dlls so you might have an issue with both pollypot and the goflight utility. It could be the sensor but that sort of behaviour has been seen by a few of us on different hardware/software set ups and when changing software it has disappeared. Shame GoFlight haven't commented yet.

Chris

@tutmeister Hi Chris,

I've just had a reply from Steve and his v/s movement is fine on his but he has had problems with the CRS rotary sensor in the past.

I've asked him if that type of hardware can be swapped out but you may well know if it can.

The utility he sent me is a GoFlight one which I haven't seen before. No Pollypot software involved. It just reacted to each switch, rotary and wheel movement. All was fine except the v/s wheel.

I think it's worth bringing to Heald Green for the next meeting and I'll bring that GoFlight exe as well.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

An encouraging update...

I had a message from Steve at Pollypot saying John Krieg had rejoined GoFlight and he had asked him about a replacement component for the V/S wheel.

John replied to me suggesting this component  would be suitable and seemingly easy to install.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Bourns/PEC12R-4225F-S0024?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu7I4e48pSkRBWn%2BWQ8xvfD

I've written back to John asking for replacement rotary controls for OBS(2), HDG, Speed and Altitude. Given the small cost of each it makes sense to replace all.

Maybe this will be helpful for those of you who have a problem with the V/S wheel. It's definitely not Pollypot software causing it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I’m pleased to report that my GoFlight vertical speed wheel has been repaired and is working fine.

My thanks to Chris of Fulcrum aka @tutmeister for doing the repair which required skills I don’t possess. Because I had an older MCP the replacement part was slightly different than the original but Chris was able to make it fit.

The action is silky smooth now. If any of you have a dodgy wheel then that component in the link on the post above  should sort you out but you will need soldering skills.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Happy for you Ray. Now, go fly and enjoy 😉

• Like 1

Normand

On 2/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Probably better that the case is removed and the wheel inspected. Only then can it be assessed and probably by someone with more knowledge than me.

I’ve read similar posts about cleaning the pots on Saitek throttles. Some claim to have made them better but that seems doubtful when the pots are enclosed and no amount of spraying will do any good at all.

The Pots are open, they are miniature trim pots, spraying them with contact cleaner with a long nozzle works perfectly

Done mine many times.