Sign in to follow this  
Gil Yoder

Setup Aircraft Menu Failure FSX-SE (resolved)

I just bought the GTN750 and GTN650 from Reality XP and I am experiencing a problem setting GNS up on some of my planes in FSX-SE. I am able to access the setup window from the Add-ons menu to configure default aircraft and others that are installed under the SimObjects/Aircraft directory, but if I try to access the setup menu for aircraft that have been installed in other directories, the setup menu never appears.

For example, one of my Steam purchases is installed under D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\896744\SimObjects\Airplanes instead of the default directory, D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes. If I load up that aircraft and click the menu item to open the setup window, it never appears and an error message is recorded in rxpGTN_menu.dll.log that looks like this:

19/02/21 17:37:13.138 14092 ERROR] unknown panel.cfg path

I know I could modify the panel.cfg file myself, but I'd rather use the setup utility for this. Is there a way to tell the software how to find these files?

Thanks for your consideration.

Gil

gyoder_emailsig.jpg?_1393642712_04 sig?u=gyoder
Gil Yoder
about.me/gyoder 

Welcome to the AVSIM forums!  For a moment, I thought you had posted in the FSX forum.  I gotta get new glasses!:rolleyes:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, GilYoder said:

I know I could modify the panel.cfg file myself, but I'd rather use the setup utility for this. Is there a way to tell the software how to find these files?

This turned out to be false. I tried to add a pop-up window by cutting a window I created for the default Cessna 172 and pasting it into one of my Steam add-ons. The result was that FSX-SE crashed when I tried to access the aircraft. So, I'm not sure it would be so simple just to edit the panel.cfg by hand. I might have to copy some dlls in the aircraft's own gauges folder to make it work, but I'm not sure that would work either.

Gil

Gil Yoder
about.me/gyoder 

Okay, I was able to add a GNS 650 to my Steam Beechcraft Bonanza as you can see here.

02.21.2019-15.55.36

All I had to do was to copy rxpGTN.dll into the special gauges folder that was created for the aircraft, and modify the panel.cfg file appropriately. Next thing to do is to replace the default 530 in the 3D cockpit with the 650.

It's not an ideal solution, but at least it's workable.

Gil

Gil Yoder
about.me/gyoder 

Hi,

following on our PM, I'm posting back here so that others may benefit in the future.

We've just released v2.5.14 which now detects aircraft in the FSX\DLC\ folder. However, panel.cfg files may still be locked by FSX-SE which prevents the Panel Assistant from saving the modifications. In this case, the assistant saves the modifications in a separate panel.cfg file which you'll have to manually copy over the original.

Make sure to open the rxpGTN_menu.dll.log file for more information when this happens.

There is unfortunately no other workaround for now.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)