Sign in to follow this  
jchpa32

No map in GNS430WAAS FSX

In the last few days something has happened to the map in my GNS430WAAS. The map only shows a black background and bodies of water. No airports, airspace, etc. No matter what I do it will not return. Otherwise it works, will go direct and show the destination airport. Nothing I have read in the manual helps.

This is in FSX SP2, WinXP. Always worked fine for years, now no map.

Anyone have any ideas?

JCH

Hi,

is this for the legacy GNS or the newest GNS V2?

Have you tried pressing the CLR button to cycle the de-clutter level... ?

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

This is the legacy GNS in FSX. I tried all that, declutter, resetting defaults, nothing worked. Then I tried something I heard a long time ago in a forum related to a different problem-I deleted the MEM files for both, and everything is back to normal. Not sure why it happened, but working fine now.

Years ago, I updated the database using a technique described in a forum post, but cannot find it now. It involved BIN files from the Garmin trainer. Do you have any instructions on how to do that?

JCH

1 hour ago, jchpa32 said:

Years ago, I updated the database using a technique described in a forum post, but cannot find it now. It involved BIN files from the Garmin trainer. Do you have any instructions on how to do that? 

I believe this was for the RXP legacy GNS. Find the file named worldwide.bin.  For the legacy I believe it should be in a location like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GNS400W-500W Trainer\

If not then search for that file.  It should be associated with the Garmin Trainer used by the legacy.  When you find it, rename it and also make a backup copy.  I rename such files by inserting an underscore character either at the start or end of the filename.   ex. _worldwide.bin  or worldwide_.bin.  Then copy the newer database file to that same folder and rename it to worldwide.bin.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere