Sign in to follow this  
KJConlon

Clean P3Dv4 install

I just built a new high end pc and have some questions about the best way and where to install scenery. 

I have a 1TB nvme m.2 for the OS, a 500GB EVO 860 for the core P3D install. I was planning on putting all the scenery on a 7200 HDD. Would I be better off adding an additional SSD for scenery and other utilities?  Would an adding an Optane help with the Scenery loads if I end up leaving them on the HDD?

As for the scenery installation, would I be best to install all the Orbx sceneries then other add on airports (FSDreamTeam and others) along with Drzewiecki city scenes or the other way around. Either way I was planning on running the Vector configuration only once after all scenery was loaded. 

Thanks

Kevin 

Hopefully I’ll  be able to post some screenshots this weekend. 

9900k, 32gb RAM, 2080TI, 1TB nvme m.2, 2x500gb EVO 860s, 2TB HDD- 7200rpm 

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

31 minutes ago, KJConlon said:

I just built a new high end pc and have some questions about the best way and where to install scenery. 

I have a 1TB nvme m.2 for the OS, a 500GB EVO 860 for the core P3D install. I was planning on putting all the scenery on a 7200 HDD. Would I be better off adding an additional SSD for scenery and other utilities?  Would an adding an Optane help with the Scenery loads if I end up leaving them on the HDD?

As for the scenery installation, would I be best to install all the Orbx sceneries then other add on airports (FSDreamTeam and others) along with Drzewiecki city scenes or the other way around. Either way I was planning on running the Vector configuration only once after all scenery was loaded. 

Thanks

Kevin 

Hopefully I’ll  be able to post some screenshots this weekend. 

9900k, 32gb RAM, 2080TI, 1TB nvme m.2, 2x500gb EVO 860s, 2TB HDD- 7200rpm 

Your making it way to complicated.  The worst thing you can do is put your scenery on a mechanical drive.  Buy a SSD big enough for your P3D install and put it all on one drive.  The scenery install order does not matter.  As far as vector is concerned I hate it.  Worst ORBX product ever.  If your regions are covered by UTX consider that as a much better alternative.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

I would definitely recommend to put P3D on the 1TB m.2 and the OS on the EVO 860 SSD and ignore the HD drives altogether unless you are installing the entire megascenery packages.

I have P3D on a 500Gb WD black m.2 and with write speeds up to 3,400/2,800 MB/s it's simply awesome, I timed it and it takes me exactly 1:20 to load P3D to takeoff with Orbx, and Drzewiecki Seatle X at Drzewiecki KSEA and with everything it comes out to 180Gb. I have my OS on the second 250Gb M.2 and everything else on a couple of WD 1TB Blue SSD's and couldn't be happier.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD