Jive1

Install FSX on Windows 10

Hey!

How do I install FSX on my PC using Windows 10? I try to start from DVD but find no way to really start setup of FSX. What could be the reason?

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

further to above….

I put the DVD into the drive, and it starts shaking and rattling, but the system does not read the files. 

How to fix that?

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

21 minutes ago, Jive1 said:

further to above….

I put the DVD into the drive, and it starts shaking and rattling, but the system does not read the files. 

How to fix that?

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

What starts 'shaking and rattling'? The DVD, the DVD drive, the computer? Need to be precise and specific, if possible.

If it's just the FSX DVD disk, then you may need to get the tracks on it cleaned as it sounds that Windows 10 cannot optically read that DVD.

It's the DVD only. And I did already several times clean that DVD, because I thought it would be it.

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

38 minutes ago, Jive1 said:

It's the DVD only. And I did already several times clean that DVD, because I thought it would be it.

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

Have you got access to say another DVD optical drive, say a portable DVD USB drive, or maybe a Windows 7 computer? If you have, give that a try. If all else fails, then it's most probably down to that FSX DVD disk. Sorry, cannot help you any further on that score if that's the case.

This is an easy fix.  When you insert the DVD into the DVD Drive, close the drawer, and, if you see nothing on the screen it means your computer was not set up to start the setup.exe when inserted into the DVD Drive.  This is normal but annoying but Microsoft Techs have difficulty implementing this feature that worked in Windows XP Pro and earlier.  What you need to do:

• After inserting the DVD into the DVD Drive.  Open up Windows File Explorer.  How do you do this?  In the search bar on the Windows Desktop, type file explorer, look up in the menu and click on File Explorer.
  • Once File Explorer is open, you will see two columns.  The one on the left is the most important as it contains a listing of all of your file directories and various Drives on your computer system (like Drive C; Drive D; Drive E, etc.) depending on the number of SSD's and/or HDD's on your computer. 
  • Once you have a listing of Drives, find the one that might indicate it is the DVD Drive.  Most of the time, this is your D drive and Windows usually reserves this drive letter for DVD Drives or thumb drives you might insert in a USB port.  Click on the Drive in the left column. If you do not see the DVD Drive, open and close the DVD drive again.  Make sure the DVD is inserted properly.F
  • Found the drive?  Look in the right column of File Explorer and it should show you all of the contents of what is on the DVD Drive.  Look down the list and look for Setup.  Once found, right click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'.  You can also just double-click on Setup.  This will begin the installation process of FSX.  You will be given the option to install in the default folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Flight Simulator X).  AVSIM recommends you install in a non-default folder such as C:\FSX or E:\FSX.  To do this, look for Options in the lower left corner of the FSX Setup Screen and click on it.  This will give you the option to change the default location.
  • Once the location where you want to install FSX is decided, click OK and the installation of the product should begin.
  • Further information can be found in the following document recommended for AVSIM members - https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx.  Look for "The Install".

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim.

Just read you post, Just a Question, I don’t remember right clicking as administrator. I know if you right click the option of run as administrator is there, But if it’s your computer from when you load the window OS and Type your name in when asked during set up.

When  you start up and insert password, aren’t you automatically the administrator. I note this run as administrator often come up.

Trubshaw

No.  If you right click FSX.exe and check the properties and then open the security tab, it will show all of the various Admins and other users authorized to make changes.  Yes, I could leave it alone and know that I'm in charge of my computer but programs you add install other users who have access to a program or file.  The Administrator is in charge of every user.  You are listed as an Administrator with your username but that does not necessarily cover all of the other users.  It is not mandatory you run any program as an Administrator.  I do but many do not and do not run into problems.  I am just making the recommendation.