Sign in to follow this  
DominoX

P2ATC weather does not match XP11 weather

I recently noticed that the weather shown for an airport in P2ATC does not match what's going on in XP11 (11.32r).

E.G: I'm currently at KSAN, planning a flight to KBFI. In XP11 I see winds of 2 kts at 34 (confirmed by XP11 ATIS voice and Data Output window). Now I go to P2ATC where I see winds of 3 kts at 339 (again confirmed by both on-screen display, as well as P2ATC ATIS voice).

Whilst the speeds are similar, there is a 55 degree difference between what P2ATC believes the wind to be, compared to what the wind ACTUALLY is in XP11.

Among other things, this causes P2ATC to pick takeoff runways for my flight plans which are wholly inappropriate based on actual prevailing winds at the airport as XP11 sees them.

Anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: Oh and yes ... my P2ATC is indeed configured to use SIM Weather on the WX tab

Edited by DominoX
Correction

If using SIM weather from X-Plane, then you must also specify the X-Plane root folder so the program can find  the METAR.rwx file.

When winds are light and variable, as you are describing, then if P2A reads the METAR.rwx file right before XPlane updates it, then there is a strong possibility for there to be a mismatch as you describe.  

You can always force the runway to whatever one you want by specifying it in the SID or STAR selection window of the Flight Plan and having the "Force Pilot Runway Selection" option checked.

Near as I can tell, the XP world is currently undergoing a "weather catastrophe" because the official government NOAA server -- the data source for a number of XP weather plugins, XP itself, and I assume also P2A's NOAA weather option -- has recently dropped support for non-HTTPS access to its METAR and wind reports, thus leaving everyone who uses the old system in the dark.
see: https://developer.x-plane.com/2019/02/x-plane-11-32-real-weather-fix-gpu-memory-fix-maybe/

This issue will reportedly be fixed for XP11's real-world weather download in a near-future release. But my concern is where this leaves folks like me who are still running XP10? (and in my case just dropped $60 on Pilot2ATC, which was a substantial investment for my meager pocketbook, and for a variety of reasons cannot afford at the moment to upgrade to XP11. It seems that I may also be screwed on X-Aviation's Real Weather Connector).

Edited by Otto Pylott

P2A made the switch to HTTPS a long time ago and has no problems with NOAA weather retrieval, unless their server goes down, which does happen occasionally.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

P2A made the switch to HTTPS a long time ago and has no problems with NOAA weather retrieval, unless their server goes down, which does happen occasionally.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I was evidently mistaken about this. I had quickly run some tests over the past couple of days and it initially appeared to me that P2A was not reporting correct NOAA data -- even with the Wx source set to NOAA (as opposed to sim). But perhaps I was doing something wrong on my end, and that my comments above were a bit hasty. I'll keep testing and report back if I learn anything new.

Quick follow-on question: What prompted your change to HTTPS, and how long ago did this occur? In other words, how did you know, in advance, that this change would eventually become mandatory? My reason for asking is this: I wonder how/why LR did not also anticipate this eventuality and correct for it advance (because again this issue seems to be causing quite a stir in the XP community).

Edited by Otto Pylott

4 hours ago, Otto Pylott said:

Sorry, duplicate post; don't know how to delete it.

Edited by Otto Pylott
Duplicate post

Probably made the change a little over a year ago.  There was no notification from NOAA, I found the HTTPS address while troubleshooting access to their site and started using it.

• Like 1