Sign in to follow this  
samisahusky

terrain.dll CTD in P3D4.4

On 2/22/2019 at 12:13 PM, samisahusky said:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.4.16.27077, time stamp: 0x5bfdbb35
Faulting module name: terrain.dll, version: 4.4.16.27077, time stamp: 0x5bfdbaa6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000e316f
Faulting process id: 0x251c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4c958dddeaf6f
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Steven\Desktop\P3Dv43\P3Dv43 MAIN INSTALL\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Steven\Desktop\P3Dv43\P3Dv43 MAIN INSTALL\terrain.dll
Report Id: f6c8d6f4-3593-11e9-b060-d43d7e4c88bd

Both modules were showing as 4.4 ... the only mention of 4.3 was in the folder names I created when I installed 4.3 but again I could have named these folders anything. The fact that I named the folder v43 is irrelevant to how P3D would update itself as long as that same folder was selected, which it was, when the update was ran. I could have named the folder “FS1989/FS1989 MAIN INSTALL” and I could still install P3Dv4.4 into that folder. I don’t see anywhere in the error or on the OP where version 4.3 is stated. If I’m not seeing it, please highlight it for me from a quote in the OP so I can figure out why the update didn’t apply as it should have. 

Steven Destazio (DVA12924)

"There's not reason to be alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of the fight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?" - Elaine Dickinson

We all started learning a product/feature at some point in our tenure within the flight sim community. Please understand that and understand that people come here to learn how to solve problems, not be harassed because you feel you are better than everyone else. We are all equal. Show respect and you'll get respect. Please don't guess at a solution unless trial/error and remember we are here to help each other and learn/teach from each other. Check your ego at the door. We should be interacting as if we will be sitting next to each other on the flight deck, not grade school bullies.

I give up.  Thanks.  Communications are difficult for sure!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I can see nothing in the Event that says 4.3. He installed P3D 4.3 into P3Dv43 on his desktop, then did an upgrade to 4.4. The directory did not change, which is why it says P3Dv43.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

After only reverting back to P3D4.3, set up a test flight from Galway Ireland to Bucharest Romaina and then back to Galway with a hold over Galway, PMDG 747-44 (same aircraft as when the CTD would happen) at FL350, the aircraft completed both crossings and is currently holding over Galway. No CTD after revert back to P3D4.3.

From Windows Control Panel, I uninstalled 4.4 Client, 4.4 Scenery, 4.4 Content, and 4.4 EXE and then reinstalled 4.3 from the download I ket a backup of when I upgraded to 4.3. Nothing else was changed or modified. So that leads me to believe the Terrain.dll CTD is in fact an error in the 4.4 installer. The question now is: what caused it? 1) bad download of the installer that had a corrupted file? 2) Add-on that was updated for 4.4 but is not really compatible despite no one else having an issue with that add-on in 4.4? 4.4 is not compatible with Windows 7?

I'm going to try to redownload 4.4 and reinstall in a few days to see if it was a bad download. But the same aircraft, ATC add-on, ActiveSky all running in 4.3 and don't cause a crash, and all these addons were updated to be 4.4 compliant, so I don't think it was an addon

"There's not reason to be alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of the fight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?" - Elaine Dickinson

We all started learning a product/feature at some point in our tenure within the flight sim community. Please understand that and understand that people come here to learn how to solve problems, not be harassed because you feel you are better than everyone else. We are all equal. Show respect and you'll get respect. Please don't guess at a solution unless trial/error and remember we are here to help each other and learn/teach from each other. Check your ego at the door. We should be interacting as if we will be sitting next to each other on the flight deck, not grade school bullies.

That your flight didn't crash this time is definitely good news. I would personally not bother with updating the sim to 4.4 - remember, 4.5 is to be released soon, reportedly with improvements in performance. I would wait until your add-ons are made compatible with the new version, and then clean install the simulator (!)  (And this time, I would name the folder P3Dv4 - just to be on the safe side).

Faulting application path: C:\Users\Steven\Desktop\P3Dv43\P3Dv43 MAIN INSTALL\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Steven\Desktop\P3Dv43\P3Dv43 MAIN

This says the modules are actually running from a folder on the desktop. Maybe the simulator would be better off installed in the default LM folder.

What I did was uninstall P3D from the CP, then renamed the P3D folders to -old.

Those folders were:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\[you]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files

C:\Users\[you]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Next I installed P3D into the default folder:

Next I set the Modify Allow permission for the Users group on that folder since I am installing some addons unaware of the read-only nature of that folder.

All is well and I can access my old P3D folders for settings and stuff.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

Faulting module path: C:\Users\Steven\Desktop\P3Dv43\P3Dv43 MAIN

This says the modules are actually running from a folder on the desktop. Maybe the simulator would be better off installed in the default LM folder.

What I did was uninstall P3D from the CP, then renamed the P3D folders to -old.

Those folders were:

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\[you]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files

C:\Users\[you]\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons old

C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Next I installed P3D into the default folder:

Next I set the Modify Allow permission for the Users group on that folder since I am installing some addons unaware of the read-only nature of that folder.

All is well and I can access my old P3D folders for settings and stuff.

I run Windows 7 and I learned the hard way many years ago, you never install anything in Windows 7 directly to the default program files folders. There are major admin rights issues that come up where files don't get installed or are blocked by windows from running properly. To work around this, it's been suggested, but all major developers, to install into a folder on the desktop and it's no problems at all. And it helps keep everything organized, makes searching for duplicate airport bgl files a lot easier also. Thanks for the suggestion, but I can only say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and installing P3D any version, FSX, FS9, or any other major install into a folder made on the desktop for Windows 7 "ain't broke" and also recommended by Microsoft and LM

31 minutes ago, samisahusky said:

I run Windows 7 and I learned the hard way many years ago, you never install anything in Windows 7 directly to the default program files folders. There are major admin rights issues that come up where files don't get installed or are blocked by windows from running properly. To work around this, it's been suggested, but all major developers, to install into a folder on the desktop and it's no problems at all. And it helps keep everything organized, makes searching for duplicate airport bgl files a lot easier also. Thanks for the suggestion, but I can only say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and installing P3D any version, FSX, FS9, or any other major install into a folder made on the desktop for Windows 7 "ain't broke" and also recommended by Microsoft and LM

Thanks - however I do know all about that as a  professional addon developer.

My post explains how the problems are overcome by the professionals....

Edited by SteveW

P3D works from wherever you install it, but I can't vouch for those addons from those devs you talk about, they may fail.

However if the LM folder is used, (and why would they do that to you if it was so bad?), it works the same. Difference is - it is a read-only folder - so those addons you mention must have been built without considering that. They should use their own folders where they have rights rather than rely on the poor users to worry about it and also thereafter ensure addons work well installed there.

Instead the professional way to install P3D is to Install into the LM folder - and if you have addons writing there, they work if you run as admin, but it's better to set the Modify Allow on that folder for the Users group (this is an authenticated group). On a professional system they might define a P3D group no need for a home user. By allowing the Users group to write there the addons will be able to write there.

Some addons might access a feature of the system other than folders, protected by admin privilege and so we might need to run as admin for those, and run everything else too, but they are rare.

Edited by SteveW

What does any of that have to do with 4.4 causing Terrain.DLL to CTD when it does not in 4.3 with all the same updated add-ons running in the same folder they have been in? I don't even feel you are on topic at this point.

There is no way an updated add-on failed because of folder placement because I didn't revert back any of the updates for those add-ons, I only reverted the main P3D sim from 4.4 back to 4.3 and all the add-ons still work prefect. All add-ons retained their updated status for 4.4 compliance, despite P3D being reverted back to 4.3 now. So your theory is not correct, and that should be pretty obvious to a "professional"

Have it your own way then.

However, I couldn't help noticing often it is those systems with mysterious problems are those that attempted to relocate the sim.

I wouldn't say installing elsewhere is an issue when done properly. But sometimes things go wrong when they are not tested by devs and that's generally because they test mainly in the default location..

..by the way, if you didn't take care of the full set of folders I showed you for renaming, then the new install picks up stuff from the old install and might continue with an old issue.

When turning settings down fixes some things, this might not actually fix it, rather it just avoids it.

Another thing to try is factory defaulting the NCP, a long shot.

I've had more and a couple of professional developers have a look into my system and folder placements and none of them have had any issues with my placement (Umberto from GSX/FSDT being one of them who I will regard as a true professional developer).

I again thank you for your concern about my folders, but this forum and topic is not about folder placements, but it is about CTD, which again, was verified as something with P3D4.4 itself since everything else works fine after reverting back to 4.3 ... and I assure you, if it was really an issue of folder placement, then 90% of the flight sim community wouldn't have the sim installed on a separate drive all together, and another 9% wouldn't have it installed into a folder on the desktop. There are reasons behind those choices and Google will be happy to explain them to you.

Perhaps you mis-undersatnd me?

The reason I posted about the location was because I thought that may have been the reason for the versioning confusion that this thread was experiencing. So I thought pointing out the odd name and location might be why that was. No?

Now it appears to have a problem with whereabouts the sim should be installed and who knows what.

Edited by SteveW

23 minutes ago, samisahusky said:

90% of the flight sim community wouldn't have the sim installed on a separate drive 

As I said, it's not an issue whereabouts the sim is installed. Rather, the advice was about being sure to have renamed the full set of folders. Also you're completely wrong about the LM folder causing some kind of problem, speaking as a professional developer.

Edited by SteveW