Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Can't start Engine 2

Did a cold dark start up today and I can't get engine 2 started.  I have 43 psig duct pressure.  Isolation valve is selected open, but instruments say it is closed.  Can't open up #2 bleed valve.  I even threw the APU on.  Any advice.  It seems 

bleed valve is stuck.

7472_1.jpg

747_1.jpg

Paul Gugliotta

No, I have failures.  I shut down P3D and rebooted.  Now I got all engines to start.  Some anomoly.  I did this 100 times. 

Paul Gugliotta

Just the same happened to me 2 hours ago before my flight, right on the ground engine 1 starter failed to motor the engine and that was caused by PRSOV ... so ... Attempted a 3 Engine T/O and continued my flight to Minimum sector Alt, then attempted for an inflight ram air start ... which was unsuccessful 😄, So going to go with 3 now 😄 landing in 45 Minutes  😄  

edit: One question remains to me, even that I Resumed a normal Flight with 3 engines, The starter button was pushed in and Fuel was set to cut, The autostart indication above engine 1 N2 Indicator was not going anywhere...

Edited by Samany69
additional info.

I just read my reply and it makes no sense.  Sorry.  

After the re boot all is ok

I never have failures turned on.  But if a engine bleed valve is stuck closed is it even possible to start an engine.  Is a failed bleed valve a common failure.

Paul Gugliotta

Has the fire handle been pulled?

You have plenty of air, but you have all 3 packs running. It's not normal to run all the packs during start (at least on the standard 747).

Try cycling the bleed switch OFF/ON. Sometimes this clears latched failures.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Start with only 1 pack on- BA recommends ALL OFF and that's what I use.

C

PS- Perhaps ALL new questions are best asked in the NEW FORUM- I have seen you there already, so I'm guessing you posted here out of habit....?

Edited by cavaricooper

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

On 2/23/2019 at 11:53 PM, paulyg123 said:

But if a engine bleed valve is stuck closed is it even possible to start an engine

No it’s not possible. Start air has to pass through the bleed valve.

ki9cAAb.jpg