Sign in to follow this  
JC_YYZ

Falcon 50 ALT SEL not capturing (with video)

Thanks to everyone who helped me with the AOA question. The explanations cleared it right up.

Now when I am on a flight, I set up the AP in the following way: 
1. The desired altitude is selected
2. ALT SEL is selected on AP panel
3. IAS selected when at desired airspeed for climb

What the plane is doing is A) either indicating the desired altitude has been reached well before the actual altitude (i.e. the altitude selected will read FL110 and the altimeter reads 4200ft) and the AP will switch from ALT SEL armed to ALT SEL cap and then ALT or B) the plane will blow right through the desired altitude with the ALT SEL constantly reading 'arm'.

This video (while a little long and unedited) shows some examples of both the plane capturing the altitude well below the set altitude and the plane blowing through the desired altitude with the ALT SEL still saying 'armed'. (The capture occurs RIGHT at the beginning if you watch the ALT SEL light change from ARM to CAP). At 5:15 you will see it blow through the altitude.This video was made just to experiment with the altitude so please ignore everything else. 😛 

1 hour ago, JC_YYZ said:

Since others have not reported this problem as far as I know, my thought is there is something wrong with your Falcon 50 install, or something gets corrupted when you load the Falcon.

What is the first aircraft you load after starting up the sim? It is advisable to load a default aircraft before loading a complex one like the Falcon. I have had good results starting with the default F-35 (I use P3Dv4.4). I load it onto the runway and then switch to the Falcon 50.

If the above doesn't help, if it were me I'd probably reinstall the Falcon 50 AFTER uninstalling the existing install. When upgrading to a new aircraft version I have found it best to uninstall the previous version first.

And as an aside for when you gets things working well, when using IAS hold, make sure you have trimmed the aircraft for the climb at the desired speed before turning on the AP.

Al

Just now, ark said:

Since others have not reported this problem as far as I know, my thought is there is something wrong with your Falcon 50 install, or something gets corrupted when you load the Falcon.

What is the first aircraft you load after starting up the sim? It is advisable to load a default aircraft before loading a complex one like the Falcon. I have had good results starting with the default F-35 (I use P3Dv4.4). I load it onto the runway and then switch to the Falcon 50.

If the above doesn't help, if it were me I'd probably reinstall the Falcon 50 AFTER uninstalling the existing install. When upgrading to a new aircraft version I have found it best to uninstall the previous version first.

And as an aside for when you gets things working well, when using IAS hold, make sure you have trimmed the aircraft for the climb at the desired speed before turning on the AP.

Al

I start with the default F-35 on the default mission and then switch. I have also uninstalled and done a clean install a few times. I am at a loss to figure out this issue. I am wondering if it's a sim issue - but I can't figure out what would cause that in-sim versus in the actual plane.

2 minutes ago, JC_YYZ said:

I start with the default F-35 on the default mission and then switch. I have also uninstalled and done a clean install a few times. I am at a loss to figure out this issue. I am wondering if it's a sim issue - but I can't figure out what would cause that in-sim versus in the actual plane.

Hmm...  Nothing in your video jumped out at me as the cause of the problem.  If your other a/c seem to be working as expected I would think the problem is not in the sim itself.

I think next I would delete any saved flights, including the default flight, and start over with saved flights. You don't want to reuse what might be a saved flight that has a bug.

My next thought is you may have a bad Falcon 50 installer. Although a remote possibility, the installer may have been corrupted during the download from your purchase store. If you decide to redownload the installer, then also uninstall the Falcon 50 before running the new installer. And after uninstalling using the Win10 Control Panel, go to the Falcon 50 install location and delete any files that may be remaining. The Win10 uninstaller will not remove files which where not part of the original install.

Al

That 

3 hours ago, ark said:

Hmm...  Nothing in your video jumped out at me as the cause of the problem.  If your other a/c seem to be working as expected I would think the problem is not in the sim itself.

I think next I would delete any saved flights, including the default flight, and start over with saved flights. You don't want to reuse what might be a saved flight that has a bug.

My next thought is you may have a bad Falcon 50 installer. Although a remote possibility, the installer may have been corrupted during the download from your purchase store. If you decide to redownload the installer, then also uninstall the Falcon 50 before running the new installer. And after uninstalling using the Win10 Control Panel, go to the Falcon 50 install location and delete any files that may be remaining. The Win10 uninstaller will not remove files which where not part of the original install.

Al

I will clean everything up and try again. I don't remember early beta builds of this plane behaving that way. I also have the Lear 35 and I can try with that. Other planes that use a similar system would be the AS CRJ or the Majestic Q400. I can try some other planes and see. 

I so appreciate the help.

5 hours ago, JC_YYZ said:

Thanks to everyone who helped me with the AOA question. The explanations cleared it right up.

What the plane is doing is A) either indicating the desired altitude has been reached well before the actual altitude (i.e. the altitude selected will read FL110 and the altimeter reads 4200ft) and the AP will switch from ALT SEL armed to ALT SEL cap and then ALT or B) the plane will blow right through the desired altitude with the ALT SEL constantly reading 'arm'.

This video (while a little long and unedited) shows some examples of both the plane capturing the altitude well below the set altitude and the plane blowing through the desired altitude with the ALT SEL still saying 'armed'. (The capture occurs RIGHT at the beginning if you watch the ALT SEL light change from ARM to CAP). At 5:15 you will see it blow through the altitude.This video was made just to experiment with the altitude so please ignore everything else. 😛 

Try using VS see if it behaves the same way! 

19 minutes ago, nitsaw said:

Try using VS see if it behaves the same way! 

I've tried VS with no joy. It still either captures at odd altitudes or slowly stalls as it struggles to maintain lift. I am doing a clean install and cleaning up some files right now to see if I can fix this issue.

1 hour ago, JC_YYZ said:

I've tried VS with no joy. It still either captures at odd altitudes or slowly stalls as it struggles to maintain lift. I am doing a clean install and cleaning up some files right now to see if I can fix this issue.

As a follow up I have tried EVERYTHING:
1. Reinstall (including killing all folders that were left behind by the Windows 10 add/remove program before the reinstall)
2. Downloading a new installer from my store account
3. Loading in a default flight first before flying

When I take off, as soon as I go into AP mode, with ALT SEL and IAS, climbing for FL110 (selected in altitude selector), the plane will 'capture' at a random altitude at 2000 or 3000 feet. After that, if I try ALT SEL again, it just stays in ARM and the plane will climb all day.

The only other thing I can think of is the F1 GTN with the new VNAV might have something to do with it. But I don't know how to turn that off (I turn it off in the menu but it has no effect).

Try with the FSW default G530 and us the pop up 2D AP panel and see what happens. These things can be frustrating that’s for sure.

Just now, MartinRex007 said:

Try with the FSW default G530 and us the pop up 2D AP panel and see what happens. These things can be frustrating that’s for sure.

That is my next plan. Currently I am loading into the sim and disabling the VNAV option in the GTN before I setup the flight. I will see what happens.

36 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

I have done the default G530 with the same result. It seems that 40 - 60 seconds off the ground, on the climb, the aircraft 'captures' the altitude and levels off. After that, if I put it back into ALT SEL, it stays in 'ARM' and will climb until tomorrow. This most recent flight, it gave the '1000 to go beep' at 800, captured at 1,800 feet (altitude selector was 6000) and leveled off. Nowhere had I selected 1,800 anything. I even started the flight with the plane running (default) on the active runway, just in case I was missing something from C/D startup.

What other planes/autopilots have you tried with P3Dv4.4?

Al

Edited by ark

The issue was he changed the units of measure to metric and the ALT SEL code did not get updated for this new metric feature. Easy fix. And will be in the next update.

Edited by Flysimware

16 minutes ago, Flysimware said:

The issue was he changed the units of measure to metric and the ALT SEL code did not get updated for this new metric feature. Easy fix. And will be in the next update.

Thank you so much for the resolution to this! Living in Canada, I use metric - so I am surprised that European customers haven't run into this issue.

I appreciate the help of everyone in this community.