Sign in to follow this  
Carob

Trying RC - Few questions

Hello.

I'm giving RC a try in FS9 and have a couple of quick questions.

1)  I'm not seeing in the manual anywhere that you are supposed to disable the built-in ATC communication.  The first thing I tried was tuning to the weather briefing through the RC menu and I'm hearing both RC weather and the built-in briefing.

2) Am I supposed to have the AdvDisp option in the Modules menu?  According to the manual I should but I only have FSUIPC (which I had before).  There were no issues with the install, that I know of, but I don't have that option there.

3) How do I get the RC menu to stay closed and only open when I want to see it?  I don't see that in the menu either.

Thanks!

Edited by Carob

Carob, it’s been over 13 years since I ran RC4 in FS9 so you’ll understand my memory is a little sketchy.

Turn FS9 ATC volume to zero. Don’t disable the option.

As for your other questions I suggest you refer to JD’s locked topics for help or search the forum for advdisp.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Why turn to zero and not just uncheck the box?  What's the difference?

I have looked at the locked topics but don't see anything pertaining to my questions.  Am I missing something?

Because it could cause FS9 to crash. I have given you the solution so why question it?

You are a tiny minority of people running a 16 year-old sim. Your best bet is to buy FSX Steam Edition if your computer can run it.

Or, change to P3D if your computer meets the minimum specs. Maybe others running FS9 can assist. I’m afraid I can’t.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Because I like to understand why.  Not sure how a built-in option would cause it to crash.

RC 4.3 was designed to work with FS9 so people must know.  So, I guess if there's anyone here who can answer the other questions I would greatly appreciate.  Whether you are running FS9 or not.

Thanks!

If you’re using RC4 there is no need to hear default ATC. As I remember it people were having problems with ATC Sound deselected so the advice was to keep it enabled and reduce volume to zero.

Most who have RC4 have moved on to better simulators. You could be waiting a long time. What is the spec of your PC?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With current FSUIPC that includes the menu display funtion so no need to install advdisp dll.

I am not sure in the free fsuipc license included with RC contains he function to turn the display on and off. If you look at the advanced user guide for fsuipc in its folder you can assign a hot key to toggle it on and off, however as soon as ATC "talks" it will reappear. There is also an RC function called IFR training that will turn off the menu display as I recall.

So you're saying I need the paid version of FSUIPC to be able to close the RC window when not in use?  That's a bit crazy.  Or am I not deciphering you correctly?

Okay, so I think I've figured out a couple of things and am on the right track.

However, it seems like the vast majority of the AI are on the default frequencies instead of the RC frequencies and I am not hearing much of anything.  Even aircraft right next to me.  I can see that they are tuned to different frequencies and if I turn on the default ATC I can hear their communication.  RC is supposed to be handling them as well, correct?  If so, does anyone know why I'm seeing what I'm seeing?  I mean I hear occasional stuff but not even close to the number that should be there.

Have you run Make Runways and built your database?

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

23 minutes ago, Carob said:

Yep.  It copied the files to C:\Program Files (x86)\rcv4\data.

I think the frequencies are held in F4.csv. Use NotePad++ to view it and compare to the defaults.

Incidentally, it’s best to install RC4 to C:\ and avoid Program Files.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I can do that, but how is it going to help?  I guess my point is that it doesn't seem like RC is making the AI be on the frequencies they should be so they are using what's built into the sim instead.  Either that or RC is giving AI one listing and me another.

@Carob, if you can provide an example of different frequencies I’ll check my files.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather