Hello Guys,

Recently Nvidia Released their new GTX 1660 TI 6 GB DDR6 with Turing Architecture, which, I must say, looks pretty interesting.

Although, since Im no expert when it comes to hardware I wanted to ask for your opinion first before I make my decision.

So, currently Im running on a GTX1060 6GB, apparently for what I have read on specs (the very basics) the 1660 gives better specs.

But the thing is, will buying the 1660TI give me more smoothness for my sim and stuff, will it reduce the bottlenecks? and if so, which builder would you recommend, EVGA, GIGABYTE, MSI, etc?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best Regards

Rafa H!

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

I'm no expert either, but I would be surprised if you saw a significant improvement by upgrading your video card because your 4790K is probably the bottleneck.  I also looked at the new card but I'm not going to trade down from the 11Gb I have on my 1080Ti to 6GB.  If one wants to use high resolution terrain textures then one needs at lest 8GB.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Well there where rumors of an 1100 series based on Turing. I guess this is it. 1600 series. I'll be interested to see what's on offer when the inevitable release of a GTX 1680ti comes along.

The 1660 Ti is a great choice for 1080p apps.  Great value (much better than the RTX products) and performance on comparable to the 1070/1070 Ti cards.

59 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Well there where rumors of an 1100 series based on Turing. I guess this is it. 1600 series. I'll be interested to see what's on offer when the inevitable release of a GTX 1680ti comes along.

I'll be surprised if they come up with any 1680/1680 Ti cards... would break into their (hopes) of selling the grossly overpriced high end RTX cards.  But should they come out with some high end GTX Turing cards I might buy one!  (If the price is right)

Greg

No way I`m giving up on my GTX 1080ti 11 MB card for years to come. The 1080ti keeps getting better as CPU performance crawls upward as well.

IF you have a 1080ti, this is not going to be of interest, but if you have a 1060, like the OP...

worth a consideration..

Bert

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your answers.

Honestly the 1080 is out of my budget, so the 1080 will be out of my game.

Now regarding the 1660, I bet that it would be an improvement compared with my current 1060, although Im not quite sure by how much. Which builder is the more recommended for the 1660? EVGA vs MSI vs Gigabyte?

Edited by rafikihd

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

This card is only really relevant for users with a GTX1060 or below. Or RX 580 and below.

Personally I would wait a bit long, save up and go for the RTX2060. Just for the extra VRAM.

8 hours ago, rafikihd said:

Honestly the 1080 is out of my budget

I had a 980ti which I bought used about 2 years ago for about CAD$460 (US$350).

I just bought a used ASUS Strix 1080ti on a local buy and sell website. The card was used for 1 year and came with 2 years warranty left and original sales receipt in the original retail box with all accessories. It is in pristine condition and works perfectly as advertised. Its like new. I picked it up in person from the seller at his place of work and paid him CAD$700 (US$533) for it.

I then sold my EVGA 980ti on the same site for CAD$300 (US$228).  That card owed me nothing I easily go my value for money out of it and it lives on in yet another system.

The bottom line is that I am CAD$400 (US$305) into a virtually new 1080ti that still retails on newegg.ca for CAD$2050 including tax (US$1560).

So the hole in my pocket is 5 times smaller than it would be I had gone with the new 1080ti over the like new 1080ti.

So long as the Price of Nvidia GPU's stays ridiculous, this will be my upgrade path. In fact before the advent of the intel i7 4770k I often purchased used GPU's to put in the systems I built. Looks like I am back to that. In fact the last new GPU I both was the GTX780 that was in my current system when new.

You obviously have to be careful buying used GPU's

For anyone so inclined I would recommend EVGA because the Warranty goes with the card. Technically, the ASUS warranty is non transferable. Other brands may also have transferable warranty.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, rafikihd said:

Now regarding the 1660, I bet that it would be an improvement compared with my current 1060, although Im not quite sure by how much.

Not specifically about flight sims, but this is a good general performance comparison: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1660_ti_ventus_xs_review,31.html

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I have been thinking about upgrading my GFX card for flight sim, mainly fly fsx but dabble in P3D. I currently use a 970 and was impressed by this card. What worries me is the 6GB Vram on the 1660 Ti as i was originally thinking of going for an 8GB 1070. Alas can't afford the 1080 or 2080.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

35 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

I have been thinking about upgrading my GFX card for flight sim, mainly fly fsx but dabble in P3D. I currently use a 970 and was impressed by this card. What worries me is the 6GB Vram on the 1660 Ti as i was originally thinking of going for an 8GB 1070. Alas can't afford the 1080 or 2080.

Unless you turn up the scenery and video settings in P3D, 6 GB will serve you just fine.. certainly compared to your current card..

However, I am not sure it will provide much of a boost.. the 970 is actually quite a capable card.. and going from a 70 series card to a 60 series card is a questionable move IMHO..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

16 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

and going from a 70 series card to a 60 series card is a questionable move IMHO..

Why? The 1060 performs better than the 970 and the 2060 similarly performs better than the 1070. In tests, the 1660 Ti is the better card compared to the 970 and the 1060.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

6 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Why? The 1060 performs better than the 970 and the 2060 similarly performs better than the 1070. In tests, the 1660 Ti is the better card compared to the 970 and the 1060.

That depends somewhat on the tests... the 70 series cards typically have a bigger memory interface width (memory bus) and higher memory transfer rates which matters for flightsimming...  On those measures, the 1060 is not a step up from the 970 for example..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert