Sign in to follow this  
Stelios

FSX Real World Weather

...Continue with this discrepancy, unfortunately. the weather here is Clear Blue Skies. When I download the weather via FSXWX it depicts it in the sim with a lot of clouds !!!???

I've even downloaded a new wx mapping.bin and replaced with the one I had in the weather folder. It gives me the same results, lots of clouds ?

Maybe someone can shed some light into what could be wrong ?

Berlopez 

On 4/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, Berlopez said:

...Continue with this discrepancy, unfortunately. the weather here is Clear Blue Skies. When I download the weather via FSXWX it depicts it in the sim with a lot of clouds !!!???

I've even downloaded a new wx mapping.bin and replaced with the one I had in the weather folder. It gives me the same results, lots of clouds ?

Maybe someone can shed some light into what could be wrong ?

Berlopez 

Yeah, I am always suspect as to the accuracy of some of these Weather Programs. I have ASN 16 I live in NYC (Manhattan) which is approximately 15 miles from KJFK and it had been raining heavily for about 3 hours so I decided to do a flight (FSX) from KJFK. ASN 16 had the weather as cloudy which was odd since it had been raining for awhile all over NY. So I called a friend of mine who works at the Control Tower at KJFK and he confirmed that it had been raining at JFK for at least 3-4 hours same as NYC. Now I sat on the runway for at least 45 mins just to check to see if it would update it, and nothing. I even changed the settings on ASN 16 for quicker updates, reloaded and tested and nothing changed

So just for the heck of it I loaded the default FSX weather which I hadn't at the time used in ages and 'WALA" to my surprise it loaded the correct weather; maybe i just got lucky. When I contacted ASN they suggested that if i let it sit for 5 mins (at most) it would have refreshed which obviously it didn't. Now I didn't want to get into a "back and forth" with ASN since for the most part the weather in accurate at least for NY. For the most the most part i think we all just assume the weather is accurate unless we happen to know different  because we happen to in the vicinity.

Also keep in mind that radar stations may be located different from your actual location, so your particular location may not reflect the same as the radar location, that's why I called my friend at JFk Tower for the actual weather.

Again, I am not sure how often these add-ons update their servers with the weather, so I just go with what they serve me. Sometimes, the weather on my smart phone doesn't always reflect the correct conditions where I am standing😄. So I think everything could be suspect at times.

Hope this helps or at least makes you think you are not the only one.

Cheers.

Forshaw.   

@forshaw You could just check the METAR history for the airport, that's what the weather generators base their simulation on. The METARs are typically issued half hourly and generally within the sim in about 10 minutes.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I checked the METAR of my local airport...It's just an empty line, insteaad i found at the bottom of the repport wheen the weather loads a line that describes Wind Direction. Anyway Kastrup the main airport here uses mainly one of theire parallel runway for most operations 22R.

Here an image of the weather by FSXWX flying West over the Great Belt towards Århus:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ujnw9g5ljxx6eu/Cessna St Belt.BMP?dl=01

Edited by Berlopez

47 minutes ago, Berlopez said:

64276487_294971011251625_191042378279577

This evenings' Sky actual photograph.

Edited by Berlopez

Don't have the option to delete one of these posts ?

23 hours ago, Berlopez said:

Don't have the option to delete one of these posts ?

I deleted the one without your description.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 2/27/2019 at 12:28 AM, mistercoffee1 said:

Look up FSXWX.

It's free, and it works for injecting Real World Weather back into FSX.

That is true its a very good addon how ever after a while the sim will begin to get very laggy causing it to load and stick every second so i normally do flights between 1 and a half or less. best advice for a weather addon is Active sky its payware.

de,dre, I've had it after i mad the changes to install it for over 3 months. I too normally don't make flights that exceed 1 hour or less.

I did get at one point a very laggy FSX,as you say, I suspected it to be a file that might have got full, have a tendency to say "stuffed"deleted the wxmapping.bin and downloaded a new one, replaced and it still Works like a charm. I then compared both files the one I deleted was full, which is why I changed it and replaced with a new empty one. Since and this is sometime ago no issues.:smile:

Just installed FSXWX today and so far so good!

It does make a big difference to my FSX flying experience and it is not that hard to setup. Although it is recommended, you don't have to buy a licence for FSUIPC. It also works fine with FSCloud and Stevefx DX10 scenery fixer. Of course, better weather means slightly lower framerate but so worth it.

All in all it is a great addition to my sim.

Thank you all for your contributions to this topic.

It's a great addon, specially after MS defaulted theire contract with Jeppesen ☹️😑 Can't have been a matter of money as i understand it these reports aren't expensive to get, maybe aree to publish and translate so they work in FS ?

I don't think MS defaulted on the contract with Jeppesen, I think they simply did not renew the contract.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.