Stelios

FSX Real World Weather

Posted (edited)

After downloading the same kind of weather...Not realizing I was closing the window when the program connects to FSX I decided to leave it open and reload FSX from TaskBar and ALAS! the weather loaded and all the stations and looked preatty much like outside my window ! Now I am pleased.

Actual%20weather%20l_1.png

Actual%20Weather%20ll_1.png

Berlopez

Edited by Berlopez
adding image
  • Like 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

BF When the weather downloaded and showed the report in the window i was closing that window and then opening FSX from TaskBar where I had minimized it. then realizing I was actually closing the Program7FSXWX application I left the window open and reopened FSX from TaskBar, then it loaded and showed the actual weather, Go to page 2 of this topic.I didn't notice anywhere in the instructions or the video that I didn't have to close the window

Berlopez

• Like 1

Yes for all third-party weather programs you must leave them running.  Minimizing their windows is fine but don't close them.  I'm glad you figured it out!  Happy flying.

BF: Thanks for confirming this. Actualy I was only minimizing the window as I Figured if I closed it fom the White "X" at the Right Top I would be closing the program and therreby connection to whatever weather station I would be attempting to download weather; as I say above and you confirm. Thanks.

Have a great weekend:

Berlopez

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

dhc8-Q-400%20SAS_1.jpg

Edited by Berlopez
Sorry about the banner, FSXWX really works.
  • Like 1

...Continue with this discrepancy, unfortunately. the weather here is Clear Blue Skies. When I download the weather via FSXWX it depicts it in the sim with a lot of clouds !!!???

I've even downloaded a new wx mapping.bin and replaced with the one I had in the weather folder. It gives me the same results, lots of clouds ?

Maybe someone can shed some light into what could be wrong ?

Berlopez 

On 4/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, Berlopez said:

...Continue with this discrepancy, unfortunately. the weather here is Clear Blue Skies. When I download the weather via FSXWX it depicts it in the sim with a lot of clouds !!!???

I've even downloaded a new wx mapping.bin and replaced with the one I had in the weather folder. It gives me the same results, lots of clouds ?

Maybe someone can shed some light into what could be wrong ?

Berlopez 

Yeah, I am always suspect as to the accuracy of some of these Weather Programs. I have ASN 16 I live in NYC (Manhattan) which is approximately 15 miles from KJFK and it had been raining heavily for about 3 hours so I decided to do a flight (FSX) from KJFK. ASN 16 had the weather as cloudy which was odd since it had been raining for awhile all over NY. So I called a friend of mine who works at the Control Tower at KJFK and he confirmed that it had been raining at JFK for at least 3-4 hours same as NYC. Now I sat on the runway for at least 45 mins just to check to see if it would update it, and nothing. I even changed the settings on ASN 16 for quicker updates, reloaded and tested and nothing changed

So just for the heck of it I loaded the default FSX weather which I hadn't at the time used in ages and 'WALA" to my surprise it loaded the correct weather; maybe i just got lucky. When I contacted ASN they suggested that if i let it sit for 5 mins (at most) it would have refreshed which obviously it didn't. Now I didn't want to get into a "back and forth" with ASN since for the most part the weather in accurate at least for NY. For the most the most part i think we all just assume the weather is accurate unless we happen to know different  because we happen to in the vicinity.

Also keep in mind that radar stations may be located different from your actual location, so your particular location may not reflect the same as the radar location, that's why I called my friend at JFk Tower for the actual weather.

Again, I am not sure how often these add-ons update their servers with the weather, so I just go with what they serve me. Sometimes, the weather on my smart phone doesn't always reflect the correct conditions where I am standing😄. So I think everything could be suspect at times.

Hope this helps or at least makes you think you are not the only one.

Cheers.

Forshaw.   

@forshaw You could just check the METAR history for the airport, that's what the weather generators base their simulation on. The METARs are typically issued half hourly and generally within the sim in about 10 minutes.

Posted (edited)

I checked the METAR of my local airport...It's just an empty line, insteaad i found at the bottom of the repport wheen the weather loads a line that describes Wind Direction. Anyway Kastrup the main airport here uses mainly one of theire parallel runway for most operations 22R.

Here an image of the weather by FSXWX flying West over the Great Belt towards Århus:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ujnw9g5ljxx6eu/Cessna St Belt.BMP?dl=01

Edited by Berlopez