Sign in to follow this  

Just a heads up for anyone building a new rig, have a read of this thread from Overclockers (probably about the most respected hardware forums in the uk).  If anyone has been here long enough to remember Mul (the hardware wizard on here years ago), Overclockers are who he used to work for

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/warning-for-all-motherboard-owners.18840442/

I usually use Gigabyte boards, but went with an Asus because of the cpu+motherboard cashback scheme they were doing.  I won't be using any more.

Edited by Charlatan
  • Upvote 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Firstly, in my opinion it's wrong to base your decision on a single faulty item. Secondly, what's worse in this case is that it wasn't Asus who refused to accept it back, it was OCUK (who said they didn't think that Asus would accept it). The initiator of the thread doesn't seem to have tried to contact Asus directly so there's no way of knowing what the response from Asus would have been. I don't think you'll find a motherboard from any manufacturer that doesn't have the occasional failure - electronic components break, it's just a fact of life. I've used Asus for a number of years now and would highly recommend them.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

He has now.  His board is away with them at the moment.  If you read the thread, there is numerous others that have had similar experiences, not all with OCUK.  There is reports of dodgy rma practice with them all over google

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Very interesting, as having been a habitual Asus MoBo user for decades, and am about to build the latest rig, and was biding my time. This topic and link to OCUK does throw up a new light on Asus, though.

3 minutes ago, patrice_bambou said:

Just for my knowledge, what is OCUK?

thanks.

Patrice.

OverClockersUK=OCUK

Makes you wonder why OC UK sells so many OC upgrade bundles based on ASUS motherboards and PCs.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, Charlatan said:

He has now.  His board is away with them at the moment.

That's not correct. Post #60 says: "Overclockers have offered to let me return it and then they will send it to asus" - it's with OCUK as far as anyone definitely knows. So still no direct contact with Asus.

4 hours ago, Charlatan said:

If you read the thread, there is numerous others that have had similar experiences, not all with OCUK.

I can only find three posts in the thread where people have actually had an Asus MB which failed (and one of those was "many moons ago"). Others are just hearsay about the Asus RMA system. You can Google "XXXXXX RMA problems" for any big manufacturer and get lots of horror stories. I'm happy to stick with Asus as, along with plenty of others in these forums, I've had no problems with their products.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I always use ASUS motherboards on my computer builds for years. NEVER had an issue.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vortex681 said:

That's not correct. Post #60 says: "Overclockers have offered to let me return it and then they will send it to asus" - it's with OCUK as far as anyone definitely knows. So still no direct contact with Asus.

Wrong

Warning for all motherboard owners

and have a look at post 123 on there

Edited by Charlatan

UKV6427

1 hour ago, Charlatan said:

Wrong

Warning for all motherboard owners

and have a look at post 123 on there

I'm sorry, but that still sounds like opinion to me. The poster doesn't seem to work for Asus or OCUK as he talks about them in the third person. As I said in my last post, you can find plenty of similar complaints about the RMA process for every manufacturer with a simple Google search so this case is certainly not unique. The thread may have influenced your future purchasing decisions but it's not enough to stop me buying Asus motherboards, which I still consider to be amongst the best available. What it has done is to make me wary of dealing with OCUK, so thanks for that.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There are actually TWO posters in that thread claiming to be associated with ASUS... "Loki" posted on Dec. 15 and "Silent_Scone" posted on Dec. 19.  Now more than two months later nothing but silence from OCUK and ASUS.  The OP has no news...

That there is some sterling customer service from both companies! :wacko:

Greg

• Like 1

Over the years I have used MB from Gigabyte and ASUS. I would highly recommend either. I currently have an ASUS Sabertooth Z87. It's a new RMA replacement for the same board which I got from ASUS about  a year ago. I asked ASUS to give me replacements for the 2 assist assist fans that came with the board four years after I bought it. The TUF series came with a 5 year warranty. I had ran the word not allowed out of the fans at 3000rpm in a harsh, dirty and frigid remote environment but after I moved I could now hear how noisy they had become. The system was not so remote and the fans where very load. I also overclocked and overvolted the heck out of the entire system. The North American ASUS RMA center is 30 mins drive form where I live and I went there in person and made my case for them to just give me 2 fans to replace the fans with shot bearings. They refused and insisted that I take the system apart and bring back just the board. That's exactly what I wanted to avoid.

Anyway they sent me a brand new in retail packaging Sabertooth Z87. So now I have replacement fans and now a 1.5 year old MB. I'm still overclocking the heck out of everything.

When Intel release their 10nm CPU in a year or so, I'll likely be using an ASUS MB for my new build at that time.