Sign in to follow this  

Used ASUS, MSI, and currently a Gigabyte Aorus Pro.  None of them gave me issues and performed flawlessly. The Pro was the best board for the price and performance.

• Upvote 1

In all fairness, I think the OP here was just trying to alert would-be Asus MoBo buyers or existing Asus MoBo buyers of the pitfalls. Even as a long-term Asus-only user, I nevertheless applaud him for that alert. His OP does not come across as a post that I should NOT buy an Asus board, but comes with a caveat emptor, which to me is useful information.

Edited by vc10man
typos
  • Like 1

Asus were doing well in 2017.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/most-reliable-brand-of-motherboards.2499756/

2016, Asus were independently determined to be the most reliable motherboards.

https://www.eteknix.com/asus-motherboaedent-analysis/

If you want to find out how reliable Asus boards are then you need data re failure rates. And not the ones caught in house, the ones that end up in customers hands.

As for support, Asus have never been top notch, if you want that, you would be looking at EVGA.

Edited by martin-w

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

I'm sorry, but that still sounds like opinion to me. The poster doesn't seem to work for Asus or OCUK as he talks about them in the third person. As I said in my last post, you can find plenty of similar complaints about the RMA process for every manufacturer with a simple Google search so this case is certainly not unique. The thread may have influenced your future purchasing decisions but it's not enough to stop me buying Asus motherboards, which I still consider to be amongst the best available. What it has done is to make me wary of dealing with OCUK, so thanks for that.

Indeed.  I have used OCuk for years, as I used to build about 50 systems a year.  I haven't bought anything other than bits from them for years, as their prices have gone ridiculous on a lot of stuff.  After this with their customer service, I think I'll be giving them a wide berth full stop

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I also have started having more issues with Asus motherboards over the last few years.  Have also encounted what 'felt like' blatent blocking when trying to RMA two items. I found that quite shocking. For many, many years I have been an avid Asus user and supporter, but my last 4 builds all had (and have) build quality issues and/or other faults, compared to what I'm used to seeing with them in the past.  I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but I expect my current board (ROG Maximus Hero IX) will probably be my last before trying something new.

What sort of build quality issues Dougal?

I noticed on a Prime board a while back that the PCB seemed very thin. I also had a USB socket break a pin. Might be just the cheaper boards perhaps. 

That Z170 Deluxe I had was the worst one by far:  First board had to be RMA for BIOS issues.  Replacement board had a rear USB socket failure; The USB3 header worked loose AND one its pins 'fell out'; HD Audio Header failed; Plastic retaining clip for PCIe video card fell off....  There was more but I forget.

I also felt the overall rigidity of the board was less than I'd previously been used to with Asus high end boards.