Sign in to follow this  

1080ti upgrade from 980ti = worse performance!

I recently installed a 1080ti in my system replacing a 980ti. I know with P3D that required deleting shaders etc. I didn't make any bechmark for the 980ti so cant make any objective comparison but it sure looks like the performance of XP11 took a hit with the upgrade. So are there some maintenance steps I should be taking with XP11 when changing the GPU in system?

Edited by Guest

did that but that raises another question that's probably not for this forum but anyway. When I used DDU to remove the nvidia driver and restarted, windows 10 reinstalled an old nvidia driver 318.XX or something like that. It installed 3d Vision and everything. (HATE WINDOWS 10). I looked for solution to stop W10 from installing drivers but it appears that all those solutions merely stop W10 from automatically updating drivers.

I ended up using the clean install option under advanced user in the Nvidia installer to remove the old drivers and just install GPU driver, Hi def audio, Physx and Gforce experience.

If anyone know a way to stop W10 from reinstalling its saved old Nvidia GPU drivers on restart after using DDU, I'd love to know 😀

I similarly had some instability with stutters and fps after upgrading gpus recently. I did a clean install of drivers and that didn't do it. After about a week or two I remembered to delete and let X-Plane rebuild the shaders, then confirm my Nvidia inspector settings and monitor resolution were back at what I used to have them at. That seemed to fix my problems

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:23 AM, Avidean said:

If anyone know a way to stop W10 from reinstalling its saved old Nvidia GPU drivers on restart after using DDU, I'd love to know 😀

What about the DDU restart in safe mode option?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Already did it by the book. Problem is that when W10 restarts after nvidia drivers are removed in safemode. It automatically re installs old drivers that it has stored some where.

Really don't know what is going on here. Download NVIDIA drivers, opt for reinstall, done. Why would you even bother with DDU? What the hell is DDU? Been installing NVIDIA drivers via the standard method in Win 10 for years and never had an issue, it's rock solid.

• Upvote 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

22 hours ago, Avidean said:

Already did it by the book. Problem is that when W10 restarts after nvidia drivers are removed in safemode. It automatically re installs old drivers that it has stored some where.

Did you try disconnecting from the internet while running DDU.

I just when't through the DDU restart in safe mode, uninstall and restart routine and ended up withe the Microsoft basic display driver as expected.

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Back in win98 days I recall having to use tool similar to DDU. Since win10, I haven't had the need to uninstall video drivers, just download and let the new nvidia driver do its thing (clean install always), haven't had any performance issues at all. Even when replaced 970 to the 1070, I just removed 970 from devices, turned pc off, installed new 1070 and that is it, worked fine with no performance or driver issues at all.

I guess each system is different.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

When I upgraded my card to 1080Ti, I deleted my x plane perf file, and shaders, and all good

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.