Sign in to follow this  
Autopilotski

Setting up x 11 sim.. student pilot

I am a 72 yr old who is working on my PPl. Currently I am using a older Microsoft X . I want to switch over to x11. My desktop is older so I need to upgrade. I need some advice as to a desktop or laptop that would have the capability to run all the features of the software. I am not so much interested in “building” a computer .. I am only somewhat tech savvy . Any and all suggestions would be appreciated as to the type set up.. also can you se up multiple screens... to broaden view right and left from the cockpit. Or can yo pan right and left with no problem. ..

thanks in advance for any help.

Pete.. Chicago 

What are your current computer specs (processor, RAM, etc)? I'm running XP 11 on a 10 year old I7-920 with 12 gig RAM and a GeForce 970 graphics card. I can't turn everything to max as far as graphics go, but my settings are good enough to make me happy. I haven't tried multiple monitors, so can't help with that.

Since you don't want to DIY (it's really fairly simple if you do some research and read the instructions) try looking for a person or persons who will build to your specs - it's all about CPU, GPU (Vram) and as much RAM (memory sticks) as your checkbook can stand.  At least 700W power is nice,  Mine is fairly old - i5/3750-GTX1060(6gb)-16GB(RAM) but it handles slightly high graphics settings.

Edited by olderndirt

My computer specs (see my signature) run the software just fine.  If you can exceed them a bit, especially cpu speed, memory and gpu memory, that is all the better.  Go with Windows 10, and especially get enough storage for the sim.  As you grow more tech savvy which all simmers do, simming is a great segue into computer literacy, you may get into photo scenery, or add on aircraft.  Back to my specs, the only thing I need to invest in is a good SSD drive so I can add more photoscenery.  Go to the screenshots forum, look at my recent posts, to see how photoscenery can enrich your flying and flight study.  It is essential for training, especially VFR training and I use it in Xplane11 and P3DV4.  I like it because when I took my first lessons in real life, traffic was easy to spot but the airports blended in with the scenery, so my CFI at the time, Jason Bullard, who respected MSFS and Xplane, taught me to find the airport and enter the pattern based on VFR landmarks below, like Canals and freeways or certain hills or roads, or strip malls, etc...

John

On 2/24/2019 at 3:39 PM, Autopilotski said:

I am a 72 yr old who is working on my PPl. Currently I am using a older Microsoft X . I want to switch over to x11. My desktop is older so I need to upgrade. I need some advice as to a desktop or laptop that would have the capability to run all the features of the software. I am not so much interested in “building” a computer .. I am only somewhat tech savvy . Any and all suggestions would be appreciated as to the type set up.. also can you se up multiple screens... to broaden view right and left from the cockpit. Or can yo pan right and left with no problem. ..

thanks in advance for any help.

Pete.. Chicago 

In terms of a ready built machine, this could be a good starting point:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-aurora-r8-desktop?~ck=mn

You need 16GB RAM, an Intel i7 8700 (or better, such as 9700 or 9900) CPU. For the GPU, I'd recommend a NVIDIA 1080 or better (1080ti or 2080). That would keep you on top of "the game" for a couple of years. RAM and better GPU may also easily be added later.

Those are the major things to look after, everything else should be fine if you get a built machine specced like this (like, a SSD drive for fast loading). For X-Plane, make sure to stay away from any CPU/GPU made by AMD.

Then, instead of adding multiple displays, I'd just get one super wide display instead, they have a couple here. Saves a lot of stress and is as good or better (no additional, distracting bezels):

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/monitors-monitor-accessories/ar/4009?appliedRefinements=26788

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB