Sign in to follow this  
JaydenTheYT

(PMDG 747) How do I do a water landing? (aka no landing gear)

The title explains most of it but I'm asking if anyone knows, how to make it not teleport in the air and full throttle, and make it just stay there and float, thanks if you can help. :D

Well for a start you have to change Prepar3D or FSX realism setting  by unchecking "ignore crashes".

But even if you do that I think the sim will detect a crash as soon as the engines touch the water and the simulation will be ended and the default flight loaded.

So you don't get to land wheels up on the water. (I think)

Edited by Guest

I used to have the Miracle on the Hudson mission when I had FSX. I remember that there was a config edit to "make plane floatable", If you google it, you will probably find it. Works great!

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

@Avidean I did that and you are right and landing gear down too still doesn't work.

@simaddictI did and nothing came up one forum post from 2010, was there but there was no answer at all relating to it, and yes its contact points at-least that's what i think it is.

On the overhead panel, right side in the middle, there is a switch labeled: 'Water Landing Mode'

Just flip the switch.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

No sure why you would want to do that.  But as we all like to do different things in the sim, for whatever reason, don't expect a realistic result from this scenario.    The water based physics is appalling enough for water based aircraft (on floats) - let alone an aircraft not designed for water at all.  

I’ve done this on the level D 747-400 sim a few times to train for ditching.

That just makes a loud noise decelerates rapidly then just bobs about on the water. We then get out and go for a coffee.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

26 minutes ago, jon b said:

I’ve done this on the level D 747-400 sim a few times to train for ditching.

That just makes a loud noise decelerates rapidly then just bobs about on the water. We then get out and go for a coffee.

Correct. Real life sims just “end” as it is about what you do prior so this is a level of fidelity that not even RW sims handle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Egbert Drenth said:

On the overhead panel, right side in the middle, there is a switch labeled: 'Water Landing Mode'

Just flip the switch.

@Egbert Drenth I can't seem to find this switch can you send a picture of where it is on the overhead panel like circle it thank you 👍.

Yeah, I cant find the switch either?

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

I think that may have been a jest, the real 74 certainly doesn’t have one.

I believe the airbus series has some sort of ditching button though, somewhere.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.