Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

In the "I have seen this coming Jetsons dept"

I as a small boy would see things about the future, like the Jetsons, Star Trek, or Lost in Space.  I'm halfway thru my life I suspect, and at mid point I realize I am living in the future they showed me when I was a boy....

• Upvote 1

Until some malware takes over and thousands of passengers are left without cars after landing, or the robots decide that parking all the cars on the active runway is a better idea.. since they have no more space and a software updated screws up their logic :biggrin:

Don't take me wrong, I am not opposed to automation, but the difficulty these days is the lack of proper engineering to implement these kind of projects securely without removing the human factor , IE: what happens if the robot makes a mistake, you landed at 3am, head to pick up your car to find it is not there, as usual nobody is there to help, because it is very common on these cases to have the tunnel view thought that the robot will never go wrong, which in turn prevents the implementation of fail safe procedures.

A similar thing happened to me an my family when I visited Copenhagen a couple fo years ago, the train system is all automatic, no drivers, no humans selling tickets, nothing.. the only 2 machines to purchase the tickets from our hotel were not working, we could not get a ticket and there were nobody to help, after a while of going nowhere and finding no help either we decided to get on the train as otherwise we would lose our flight back home. Of course 3 stations later a guy gets on the train checking for tickets, we explained the situation and I asked him to sell me the tickets since we could not purchase it back at the station, his answer: "I cannot sell tickets, only the train machines can sell tickets, our machines never go wrong sir, since you do not have a valid ticket you need to pay a penalty of DKK 750 per person.. so €100 each.. you could see how the argument went when this guy insisted for me to pay him €300 euros because their transport system could not sell me a ticket since they were no operational.

I told him to call the police then, we got out of the train, waited, explain the situation to the officers, and I told them let's go back to the station in question so you can confirm the machines are not working, the penalty was exempt at the end after a lot of hazle, but it just shows how depending on automatic machines "all the time" leads to all sort of problems.

Just my 2 cents.
S.

• Upvote 1

Simbol nailed it. If you think trying to persuade a human being they made a mistake and admit they were wrong is hard wait till you try the same thing with a robot! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Until some malware takes over and thousands of passengers are left without cars after landing, or the robots decide that parking all the cars on the active runway is a better idea.. since they have no more space and a software updated screws up their logic :biggrin:

Don't take me wrong, I am not opposed to automation, but the difficulty these days is the lack of proper engineering to implement these kind of projects securely without removing the human factor , IE: what happens if the robot makes a mistake, you landed at 3am, head to pick up your car to find it is not there, as usual nobody is there to help, because it is very common on these cases to have the tunnel view thought that the robot will never go wrong, which in turn prevents the implementation of fail safe procedures.

A similar thing happened to me an my family when I visited Copenhagen a couple fo years ago, the train system is all automatic, no drivers, no humans selling tickets, nothing.. the only 2 machines to purchase the tickets from our hotel were not working, we could not get a ticket and there were nobody to help, after a while of going nowhere and finding no help either we decided to get on the train as otherwise we would lose our flight back home. Of course 3 stations later a guy gets on the train checking for tickets, we explained the situation and I asked him to sell me the tickets since we could not purchase it back at the station, his answer: "I cannot sell tickets, only the train machines can sell tickets, our machines never go wrong sir, since you do not have a valid ticket you need to pay a penalty of DKK 750 per person.. so €100 each.. you could see how the argument went when this guy insisted for me to pay him €300 euros because their transport system could not sell me a ticket since they were no operational.

I told him to call the police then, we got out of the train, waited, explain the situation to the officers, and I told them let's go back to the station in question so you can confirm the machines are not working, the penalty was exempt at the end after a lot of hazle, but it just shows how depending on automatic machines "all the time" leads to all sort of problems.

Just my 2 cents.
S.

Begs the question, isn't the device you posted your response on automation then you are part and parcel to automation something we can all snicker about.............