So I'm looking at doing a new build. I've done a lot of research here and elsewhere and found the parts that seem to be the most recommended. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's a bit overkill. I use my PC mainly for P3Dv4 and photo editing. I don't play any other games on it (not yet, maybe something like DCS in the future) and once in a while will edit videos (1080p). I'm currently running an i5-2500k @4.5 which works pretty well but not as good as I've been hoping for lately. Terrain textures get blurry more often and the frames are not horrible but not awesome either. So, here is the list I have:

CPU: i7-9700k (will overclock)

GPU: GTX1080 Founders Edition (currently using)

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250 GB M.2-2280 (OS)   Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA (P3D)

Cooler: Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

I'm about $100 over budget with this setup but am also looking for a future proof rig at the same time. I have usually only upgraded PC parts about every 6-8yrs. It's definitely a nice set up, but is it overkill?

Here's also a parts list from pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nj9nvn

Thanks

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

l really like your selections ; however, you mention future proofing..... your not going to go far into the future with that video card. I know this is really going bust your budget but i think the best long term investment has to include an 11gb or better video card.

1 minute ago, FunknNasty said:

l really like your selections ; however, you mention future proofing..... your not going to go far into the future with that video card. I know this is really going bust your budget but i think the best long term investment has to include an 11gb or better video card.

I do agree there, and that would be something I'd look at getting a little further down the road when finances are a bit better (currently in flight training sooo...)

RW Freight Pilot

Hit the buy button. The kit is on the garden spot, no overkill with that kit.

23 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

I do agree there, and that would be something I'd look at getting a little further down the road when finances are a bit better (currently in flight training sooo...)

44 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

There is no way to futureproof with a video card...  :unsure:

A 1080 is just fine for now, and wait and see what happens in a year or two..

• Upvote 1

Bert

12 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

A 1080 is just fine for now, and wait and see what happens in a year or two..

...Bert-  you have 11,000+ posts here at Avsim, perhaps the above quoted  post is one too many?  No?

Away from puter right now but, I can show a recent p3d v4.4 flight that was using 9.5 GB of video ram -should be home in a few hours ....I’ll post the hwinfo graphic.

Heck, even on sunny day I’m using at least 8.5.

21 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

+1  Or any other computer hardware for that matter.

If you'll be doing much photo/video editing a 9900K and 32GB of memory would be the better long term choice.

Either way the system you've configured IS NOT overkill. 

Greg

7 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

...Bert-  you have 11,000+ posts here at Avsim, perhaps the above quoted  post is one too many?  No?

Away from puter right now but, I can show a recent p3d v4.4 flight that was using 9.5 GB of video ram -should be home in a few hours ....I’ll post the hwinfo graphic.

Heck, even on sunny day I’m using at least 8.5.

That depends on your settings... I use about 4 GB VRAM on a regular basis..

SO...??

:cool:

Bert

so, you didn't mention your monitor and unless you're using (and staying with) 1080p then your GPU memory is going to run out before you can benefit from the resolution improvements the rest of your rig facilitate. (or something like that).

12 minutes ago, jpf said:

so, you didn't mention your monitor and unless you're using (and staying with) 1080p then your GPU memory is going to run out before you can benefit from the resolution improvements the rest of your rig facilitate. (or something like that).

My monitor is only a 1080p which for the time being, I’m happy with. I know it’s “outdated” for many people, but it’s a high quality 1080p I got a few years ago specifically for photo editing and it’s still going strong and looking good!

• Like 1

RW Freight Pilot

There is no way to future proof the PC the next MB chipset will see to that possibly this year.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

There's no such thing as overkill for a pc that will be running P3d.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

There is no way to future proof the PC the next MB chipset will see to that possibly this year.

Yeah I get that it won’t technically be “future proof” since next year will roll out more new advances but I’m looking for one that would last a while and also be upgradable down the road. I’m still running the i5-2500k and a 2011 motherboard and it’s been great for the last 7yrs. 

RW Freight Pilot

Do swap the SSDs. M.2 for P3D, SATA for OS.

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

On 2/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, pvupilot said:

Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA (P3D) 

Hi,

there will be a limit short, if you planned TE from ORBX or other Phototexture to use.

I know that 2 or more gig very exspensive, but my Sim is near 1 TB for now.

Stephan from Germany

My System