Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Upgrade MB / CPU require complete re-installation of P3D?

I currently have the I7-4790K (see specs below) with a GTX 1080Ti. Performance is still very good, but I'm pricing an upgrade to an I9-9900K with new MB, cooler & memory. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bq7B3b

I built the system originally, so I feel confident in the upgrade, but what I don't know for sure is how to go about adding the drives back in the least disruptive way.

C:\ 500GB SSD, has current OS and some program files / program data. 

D:\ 1TB HDD, has a bunch of backup data and an bunch of programs installed

E:\ 500GB SSD, exclusively for P3D installation and add-ons

Any advice for me either on the upgrade parts or especially on the re-installation. Do I need to completely uninstall P3D and all add-ons on the existing system before adding the drives back to the new system? I assume I will also need to re-install windows?

Thanks,

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Check out the migration products from EaseUS and others that represent they can do seamless migration...  I use their backup software to clone my system drive SSD once a month.

https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer-software/pctrans-pro.html

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I strongly recommend that you rebuild from the OS and up when upgrading the CPU and motherboard.  There's a big difference between "what you can get away with" and a clean, reliable build that's properly configured for your hardware without any possibility of lingering remnants of old drivers and software.

I view a new build as an opportunity to rebuild anew with the latest and best versions of everything.

Some software does need uninstalled before you migrate--P3D itself, the PMDG birds, and any others that build the software key based on the hardware at install time. 

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

@fppilot thanks. I'll check that out.

@w6kd thanks. I know you're right but even the thought of a complete rebuild is enough to make me delay until performance is unbearable. I guess I'd have to reformat the SSDs and start from scratch.

Edited by bbuckley
typo

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

going from an I7-4790K to an I9-9900K I think you'll be disappointed at how little improvement in performance you are going to get.

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

going from an I7-4790K to an I9-9900K I think you'll be disappointed at how little improvement in performance you are going to get.

That’s interesting, and strangely comforting. As I said, the performance now is very decent. I was thinking that my current 1150 mb can’t take ddr4 memory and the current ddr3 installed is 1600. So I was hoping the combo upgrade of cpu, mb and memory would make a noticeable improvement. But I certainly don’t want to spend $1,000 and suffer through a complete software rebuild if it’s not going to be a significant improvement. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, bbuckley said:

That’s interesting, and strangely comforting. As I said, the performance now is very decent. I was thinking that my current 1150 mb can’t take ddr4 memory and the current ddr3 installed is 1600. So I was hoping the combo upgrade of cpu, mb and memory would make a noticeable improvement. But I certainly don’t want to spend $1,000 and suffer through a complete software rebuild if it’s not going to be a significant improvement. Thanks. 

"Significant improvement" is, of course, in the eyes of the beholder.  My current driving/shooting gaming box is a 4790K--it was my flight sim PC two builds back, succeeded by a 7700K, and now an 8086K.  The 4790K is still holding its own--it runs the 3D games I play (casually) well enough, but each of the generational steps up has brought a smile to my face.  I've also upgraded GPUs from a 980 to two 980Tis to two 1080Tis, and now to a 2080Ti.

It all depends on what you're aiming for--you can certainly manage your configuration and operating conditions to make a 4790K sing well enough in P3D v4.  But if you're looking for solid, steady performance with a load on--4K display at night in the weather with the most complex add-ons at the most complex airports etc., I would not describe what is gained by doubling the core count and L2 cache, the move from 1600MHz DDR3 to 3000+ MHz DDR4, a 10% increase in clock speed combined with 5-10% better IPC etc as insignificant or barely noticeable.

One of the best things about P3D in its current form is that it scales so well across the capability spectrum...it'll use and improve things with most of the hardware upgrades you can throw at it, but it'll also still do a respectable job (when properly dialled-back) for those who can't/won't go high-end on the hardware.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I am running an i7 4770k at 4.8ghz with a 1080ti. I just got the 1080ti coming from a 980ti. I was looking at building an 8 or 9 series system. Definitely you will get some benefit from higher CPU clock, more cores and faster DRAM but if I was you I wouldn't spend $1000 on it now. And If I was going to upgrade I go with an i7 8086K. From what I've seen its the best CPU for P3D because you have enough extra cores (6 cores) and a better chance of highing 5.3ghz than with any other 8 or 9 series CPU. Single core performance has barely improved since i7 4770k but you can get higher clock frequency on later CPU's. But that's a word not allowed shot. If you got let's say 5ghz out of a new chip that's 500mhz better than you have now. How does that translate into FPS? Well in reality with Prepar3D it won't translate into a higher FPS at all. It will either translate into being able to move cpu intensive sliders of your choice one notch to the right and still maintain you target frame rate of 30fps (or perhaps 45fps in VR) or it won't.

But just for the sake of comparison as a kind of bench mark to  give you a general idea of what to expect you could so the following. lets assume you get 5ghz. That's 11% better. Now 89% of your current 4.5ghz is essentially 4ghz.

Assuming your tuned for 30fps turn your frame rate to unlimited and record a short scenario. (a circuit). Then restart your system and enter your bios and set your GPU to run at 4ghz.

Playback the same scenario and see how many CPU intensive you need to dial back a notch to get back to a constant 30fps.

You can draw the subjective conclusion that going from 4.5 ghz to 5ghz the sliders to the right and maintaining the 30fps will be about the same.

Edited by Guest

I prefer the 9700k or 9900k over  the 6core.

Have a old 4790k at 4.8ghz with corsair dominator 2666 c9 as base test sim pc.

Thanks all, you’ve given me a lot of data, thoughts and recommendations. I appreciate it.