Sign in to follow this  
threebears

TrackIR Experience / Opinions Please

6 hours ago, CB_Pilot said:

I use TrackIR BUT - I also wear glasses and I often find it difficult to get the right focus as I pan around.

Would concur.  I wear progressive lens and found it difficult enough maintaining focus that I abandoned TrackIR.  

I might also add that I used to fly real world GA and had similar issues with views out the window.  Such that I switched to bifocals while in the air.

Ernest Pergrem

Some VR headsets cost about the same of a new TrackIR Pro kit these days. In any case, if VR is not an option, just get some LED clip from eBay for 10, 20 USD/Euro and a PS-Eye camera for another 10 bucks. Then you can use Opentrack, which works great and is free.  

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Thanks to everyone for the serious points and very helpful disscussion. I think we've covered all the pros and cons.  One I hadn't considered was from CB_Pilot (Rupert) about wearing glasses: I wear varifocals which require you to move your head to maintain focus, not great for TrackIR obviously, but I think I can get over this by using reading glasses.  I don't do long flights, so hope motion sickness won't be an issue.  The "bottom line" seems to be that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.  Thanks again.

Andrew

11 hours ago, CB_Pilot said:

I use TrackIR for general viewing on both internal and external views and I use AivlaSoft's SimpleCAM for dedicated cockpit views. 

What that means in practice is that I'm on customised close-up views with SimpleCAM on take-off and landing (different customised views for different aircraft) and on TrackIR throughout the flight. Works for me and might be worth considering as a solution for you.

I don't think I would use a separate utility like SimpleCAM.  I can set up individual views inside FSX already, but I'm not good at knowng where the keyboard buttons are without looking, and looking away from the screen defeats the object really.  Thanks anyway.

Andrew

3 hours ago, threebears said:

I wear varifocals which require you to move your head to maintain focus, not great for TrackIR obviously

andrew

if varifocals are progressive / multifocals as others call them .. i'm sure you will intuitively adjust your head & specs to match.

how can I say it .... the screen is not moving, just what you see so the need to change focus is only about reading detail & for me (multifocal me), no problems.

for now, cheers

john martin

My first Track IR was the TIR3 Pro with Vector Expansion.  That was years ago and it still works like new.  After getting used to the concept of moving my head instead of using a controller to look around, I cannot stand a sim that does not use TIR.  It's just so much easier to look around the virtual cockpit, especially when trying to find a switch or lever or looking around windscreen bracing when turning towards the runway.  I'll never fly in a sim without it.

Oh, and I wear reading glasses when I'm at the computer.  Just a part of living/getting older.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

7 hours ago, threebears said:

but I'm not good at knowng where the keyboard buttons are without looking, and looking away from the screen defeats the object really

You don't look away from the screen. You turn your head slightly but keep your eyes on the screen.

I may sound as if I'm being a bit repetitive here, but try Opentrack with an Aruco tracker (completely free) and you'll be able to decide whether or not head tracking is for you without spending a penny. It's worth mentioning that Opentrack is 100% compatible with TrackIR - it will work with any TrackIR-compatible game and has more options.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

19 hours ago, CB_Pilot said:

I use TrackIR BUT - I also wear glasses and I often find it difficult to get the right focus as I pan around. As an example: looking at gauges, all is well but I cant see the overhead switch writing above. Tried going without TrackIR but really missed it so I found another way. I use TrackIR for general viewing on both internal and external views and I use AivlaSoft's SimpleCAM for dedicated cockpit views. 

What that means in practice is that I'm on customised close-up views with SimpleCAM on take-off and landing (different customised views for different aircraft) and on TrackIR throughout the flight. Works for me and might be worth considering as a solution for you.

I do agree with the general sentiments above though - once you have TrackIR its really hard to go without. Good luck, whichever way you go.

19 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

You don't look away from the screen. You turn your head slightly but keep your eyes on the screen.

I may sound as if I'm being a bit repetitive here, but try Opentrack with an Aruco tracker (completely free)

Not at all, and I've noted your suggestion. but you missed the point of my reply to CB Pilot's post!  I was saying (to him) that I could assign views (as he suggested) within FSX but in order to find the keys that selected the views I would have to look away (to the keyboard) and therefore (implicitly) some form of tracker was preferable.  Thanks again

Andrew

Andrew,

I realize you've never used TIR but I think you're overthinking/overcomplicating it. If you need to look away from the screen, then look away. It's not like the TIR will zap with a cattle prod for looking away, and the sim world will still be there when you look back. 😁

• Like 3

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

16 hours ago, odourboy said:

If you need to look away from the screen, then look away. It's not like the TIR will zap with a cattle prod for looking away, 😁

LOL!!!!!!!!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

2 hours ago, stans said:

LOL!!!!!!!!

This is getting silly, and this is my last comment on my original post - and its purpose.  To be clear, I want to be able to look around me, both in the flight deck and outside.  I do not want to look away from the depiction of my flight, on the screen, to find a button, switch or keystroke in order to change that view.  The whole point is to improve, not degrade, my "situational awareness". 😣

9 minutes ago, threebears said:

The whole point...

I think you have missed it yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

21 minutes ago, threebears said:

This is getting silly, and this is my last comment on my original post - and its purpose.  To be clear, I want to be able to look around me, both in the flight deck and outside.  I do not want to look away from the depiction of my flight, on the screen, to find a button, switch or keystroke in order to change that view.  The whole point is to improve, not degrade, my "situational awareness". 😣

Sounds like TIR (and maybe even VR) is not what you're looking for at all. Have you looked into building a sim pit?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I don't have any answers, But I do have another question.  I wear glasses with progressive lenses and when you get very far off center they get blurry.  Does anyone have experience with this?