Sign in to follow this  
Carob

AI ATC Question

Hello, all.

I am still trying to test out RC but am still having what I think is an issue with AI and ATC and hoping someone can shed some light.

All kinds of AI around me but hardly any of them seem to be on the same freq as me.  Using other tools I can see that they are on the default FS9 freqs instead of what RC has me on.  If I turn up the volume of the default ATC I can hear them all doing their thing.  Is this normal when using RC?  Doesn't seem right to me.

When I get in areas where the freq that RC has me on is the same as the default ATC I seem to hear more.  But not always.

Just wondering if anyone else sees this or if there are things I can check.  Everything else seems to be normal but this has me a little flustered.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

I also hear fewer Ai communicate with RC4. I don't have a definitive answer but it may be due to changes in airline names. If it's a new one and RC4 doesn't have that name recorded then no comms is possible.

You could try locating to a hub for a major airline like EGLL (British Airways) or KATL (Delta) and check there.

A useful utility for viewing Ai injected into P3D is Traffic Look but it doesn't currently work with Windows 10. But if you have WideFS it will work on Windows 7. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

You don't say what Ai package you use.

One other way of seeing what Ai is seen by RC4 is to press Debug and create a log. Run RC4 until you don't hear a Ai you expect to then note its flight number and end RC4 and open the log. Go to the end of the log and view the list of Ai that RC4 has generated. Is that flight number listed?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I don't think it's the lack of airline names.  I have seen what someone else said probably happens with those in that it only uses the first letter of the name.  I am seeing that happen so I know it's picking those up.

As far as airline packages go, it's all over the place.  All added manually though.  But that can't be it either because the default ATC sees and calls them just fine.

I'll have to try looking at the log though.  I didn't know about that.

It just seems like something is off that it doesn't do anything with them.  Whether that be with my setup or just the program in general.  I guess I'm thinking the later if others see the same.  I still haven't decided whether to continue to use it or not but if this is true it's a another vote no.

If anyone else can confirm or deny as well I'd appreciate it.

Get your Clearance and then request taxi. Taxi towards the holding point and then when told to contact / monitor Tower switch to Tower.

Then slew off the taxiway allowing other aircraft to proceed towards the take-off runway. Listen and you will hear each one cleared for take-off followed by instruction to contact Departure. I hear all the correct call-signs.

Given it's used by thousands and they paid for it you're being somewhat critical looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ground and Tower seem fine.  But those freqs are more than likely the same in RC as they are in the default.  It's the Approach, Departure and Center freqs where I'm seeing it.

Maybe some would look at it that way, but I don't.  Whether it's a paid product or not, it should be doing what it's supposed to do.  And perhaps it is.  Whether that be because of a limitation, the way it was designed or whatever.  That's pretty much what I'm trying to find out.  If what I'm seeing is what everyone else sees or if there is an issue going on with what I have.  If it's an issue then that's what the forums are for, correct?  If it's what everyone else sees then I know it's most likely not an issue and we have the answer.

RC4 has been out for 12 years. Do you think that if there was an underlying problem with how it interacted with Ai in FSX / P3D it would have been noted and fixed during the extensive beta testing it went through?

You will only hear comms with other aircraft when they are around the same altitude as your aircraft. Read the manual. It’s all explained there.

I take it you have read the manual. As no-one else has chipped in to your posts I think that answers your question.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Actually, yes, I have read the manual.  If it's there I must have missed it.

However, assuming that's true it doesn't explain why I would hear communication with aircraft who are 30 mi away from me but not 3 mi away from me.  It's just odd.

It's not the horizontal distance that matters. It's the vertical separation. If another aircraft is 3 miles away but 10,000ft lower / higher you won't hear it in RC4 but the default ATC probably will play comms as it's not as sophisticated. Another aircraft approaching you head on at 1,000ft lower / higher is far more relevant even 30nm away.

Search the manual for ATC Airspace Structure. Explains how it all works.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You might be confused about what I'm actually saying.  It sounds like you think I'm talking about calls to me, or other aircraft, about proximity warnings.  If I'm mistaken I apologize but that wasn't what I was posting about.  I was just talking about general communication.  People checking in, leaving, altitude/heading changes, being told to contact other controllers, etc.

No, I realise you're not referring to proximity warnings. I suspect default ATC is still audible to you when it's issuing instructions to aircraft well below or above yours. RC4 is more selective in what commands are issued by ATC to other aircraft. I also suspect the default has more chatter because they're issuing regular heading changes that RC won't do.

If you've even flown the default ATC you'll know you can keep getting heading changes which make no sense. My advice is to turn off default ATC and stick to RC4

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have turned down the default to zero.  Just think it's weird that the skies are so quiet with SO many other aircraft around.  I don't have the erroneous chatter enabled since none of it actually applies to what's going on.  I suppose some probably like that but I don't particularly.

I suppose it depends on how many Ai are generated in your sim. Maybe you've been exposed to default ATC for too long and accept that as the norm.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

RC has a 40nm range. You won’t hear any comms outside that radius. Maybe default is different. I wouldn’t know as I haven’t used it in ages.

If you prefer RC4 you’ll carry on using it. If you don’t you’ll continue to use default. There’s nothing more to say really.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Agreed.  Was just trying to find out if what I was seeing is normal behavior of RC or not.  According to you it is.

Thanks for the info.