Sign in to follow this  
HPDave1950

Control surface flutter while stationary

I was helping a friend of mine with his simulator software set up and am unable to resolve a problem with fluttering control surfaces. I use FSX but my friend uses P3D v4 with a YOKO yoke and a RUDDO set of rudder pedals. After setting up these peripherals using the calibration procedures provided, the aircraft while stationary and also while flying exhibits fluttering control surfaces.  Sometimes this doesn't happen, it appears to be an intermittent fault. I have tried altering the calibration sensitivity but this appears to have no effect on the problem. I would be grateful if anyone else who has experienced this and solved the problem could help.

Dave

Heya Dave, 

I too had this issue some time ago, and while I cannot remember if I succeeded in solving the issue using native P3D V3 (now on V4) calibration, the thing that ultimately solved it was to map all controls through FSUIPC (paid version). There is bit of a learning curve for FSUIPC, but once you move to it there is no going back!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I had this problem a few years ago.  I am using PFC Yoke in a home built Sim, FSX and default 737-800.

It was eventually found that I had a faulty Potentiometer in the Yoke Unit.  At the time PFC provided a replacement and instructions on replacement.  The Potentiometer at the time was about ten years old, and like all things do wear eventually.

I would suggest this may be the Yoko Yoke playing up.  A Potentiometer is normally quite cheap, so if you can find the right replacement is worth a go.  At the time I thought it was a calibration issue and played around with the PFC settings/null positions for ages before finding my solution.

I agree. The least expensive thing to try is FSUIPC. If it can moderate the noisy pot you can get by else your hardware will need some work.

You could also try using some contact cleaner on the pot(s) if you have easy access to them.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I will have to get into using FSUIPC, (it is already on my friends system).  One thing I forgot to mention is that the fluttering simultaneously affects all three control surfaces at once (ailerons, elevators and rudder) and when it starts and stops, all three control surfaces start and stop fluttering together at the same instant.  This makes me think that it is probably a software rather than hardware issue.  Having said that though, the yoke buttons have all ceased working completely as well, so there could be a hardware issue as well. I have spare buttons and yoke cable so can try and fix that if FSUIPC does not fix the problem. The Yoko yoke and Ruddo rudder pedals are only three years old but have had a lot of use in that time.

Will keep you informed of progress, thanks for all your help.

Dave

Have just spent a fruitless afternoon trying to get to grips with FSUIPC and could not even get the axis panel to appear as per the FSUIPC user manual illustration.  Will try and get some more information from the suppliers of the yoke and rudder pedals who produce the calibration and interface software currently supporting the hardware.  Perhaps removing FSUIPC altogether may solve the problem, it appears to be a result of conflict between two separate interfaces linking the hardware to the sim.

Anyway, going on holiday for a couple of weeks and will give it a rest for a while.

Dave