Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Any problem with nvidia 4xx drivers?

Hi folks,

I've had my 8700k overclocked now since i built my new computer around September time and had it running at about 4.8GHz with no problems. Then, after updating the drivers on my 1080Ti a few days ago, I first got a BSOD in P3D 4.4 on Tuesday while lying EGPH-EGKK and since had all kinds of BSODs and startup problems, including the computer not actually booting at all.. Just running a memory diagnostic and I've reset the BIOS settings to remove overclock so I can boot the computer properly. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had problems with the NVidia updates or whether it's just coincidental and something else is up with my computer and it's a coincidence. I've rolled back to 417.01 for now too.

Aorus Gaming 7, 1080Ti, 8700K, Windows 10 Home x64, Corsair 2x16GB 3200mhz RAM, H100i cooling, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3 850W PSU.

Cheers folks

Edited by rondon9898

When I switched to the very latest drivers for my gtx 1060, I began getting graphic crashes. I went back to an earlier version and things were normal again. This is on windows 7 64 bit. Your experience may be different if you have win10.

My problems with the Nvidia drivers are post-417.75 with G-Sync. I have a (Nvidia non-compatible) Freesync monitor (Acer XZ321QU) which I can now use with G-Sync using Nvidia drivers 417.71 and above.

The problem with the latest post-417.75 drivers with my monitor is that, at 144Hz refresh rate, the use of G-Sync causes regular, annoying black screens lasting anywhere up to 3 seconds either in windowed or full screen mode in either Prepar3D v4.4 or X-Plane 11. The solution is to use a lower refresh rate, i.e. 120Hz, or go back to earlier drivers such as 417.75 which work at 144Hz refresh rate. It is obviously the case that Nvidia has broken the drivers where compatibility with my monitor is concerned rather than a hardware-related fault directly. Hopefully this problem will be fixed in a later driver release.

G-Sync with low frame compensation (we are not in the business of matching directly a 144Hz refresh rate with the fps from Prepar3D v4.4 or X-Plane 11!), does seem to improve the smoothness of Prepar3D v4.4 in particular, although I do experience stutters in X-Plane 11.32r2. The use of V-Sync by way of the Nvidia Control Panel in Prepar3D v4.4 does also seem to reduce issues with stutters (as recommended by AMD with a Freesync monitor). Anyway, good for Nvidia for making a Freesync monitor useable with Nvidia G-Sync if you have a compatible graphics card (I thought I had made an expensive mistake with the initial incompatibility between Freesync and an Nvidia graphics card), but not so for occasionally breaking things with their drivers.

7 hours ago, flyforever said:

When I switched to the very latest drivers for my gtx 1060, I began getting graphic crashes. I went back to an earlier version and things were normal again. This is on windows 7 64 bit. Your experience may be different if you have win10.

Same problem here with a clean install on my 1080ti.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I had several issues with driver 417.71, including delays of some seconds with black screens when changing views, and also some kernelbase.dll errors. I decided to roll back to driver 416.34 (released on October 11, 2018) and so far all is back to normal again.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:36 AM, flyforever said:

I am running a GTX 1060 with the 419.17 driver and have not had any problems with Win 10(64).  I do things a little different than most folks I allow nNidia to do the driver install just as I allow Windows to do all the updates.  I also do not run NI. 

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

418.91 here with rtx2080ti and up to date win10pro. I cleared out my shaders after an initial CTD and it's been smooth sailing since. (not sure if clearing shaders actually did anything over and above what P3D did anyway).
I don't use any nvidia (or any other) overlays.

Is anyone else like me, and absolutely refuses to update their driver anymore? I'm running 397.64, I tried updating it more than once, and every time it was just disaster, a complete waste of time to just restore it back to the old driver that worked. I don't even bother anymore.

1080, 8700k

I upgrade to the latest nVidia driver about once a month.  I just let nVidia do the install. Any adjustments I might make are done within P3dv4.

17 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

I upgrade to the latest nVidia driver about once a month.  I just let nVidia do the install. Any adjustments I might make are done within P3dv4.

Is there a performance improvement? I don't even get why you should do it. Do you do it in GeForce experience? I've always done it through there (that I can remember, haven't tried in a year), and it always gets screwed up. I always wind up reverting back to the driver I have now.

3 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Is there a performance improvement? I don't even get why you should do it. Do you do it in GeForce experience? I've always done it through there (that I can remember, haven't tried in a year), and it always gets screwed up. I always wind up reverting back to the driver I have now.

I go to Download Drivers on the nVidia website and find my driver, download it, follow the prompts and when it gets to the install options I select Express and let nVidia do the rest.   

Unless there's a specific problem you have that a newer graphics driver fixes, or a newer driver is optimised for a game you use (never happens for flight sims), or you need it to unlock some new GPU feature (RTX?), I can't see the point in updating a working driver.

If you must update them, I would also recommend manually downloading and installing drivers from the GeForce website. GeForce Experience causes more issues than it solves (I speak from experience here).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The only other reason for installing new drivers is for security fixes as Nvidia like Intel and Microsoft have had to update security in there software. 

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Glad to hear I'm not missing anything. Thanks fellas.