Sign in to follow this  
pracines

SHADERLABS - REALISTIC SEASON PACK P3D

I'm curious if anybody knows what this utility could do other than what P3D already does for seasonal ground textures.

The product was released today and claims to change the season based on the system date - P3D already does this. As a matter of fact I'm currently flying from 02G to 03D USA at FL180 in the Vertx DA62 and this takes me almost at the border of seasons. On my right (north) I can see patches of snow covered ground and on my left (south), I can see scattered brown and green patches as I would expect.

I personally think that the seasons should be based on the weather patterns rather than a specific date if that were possible, maybe it is. But this new utility simply has a claim of doing what P3D already does for seasonal ground textures.

Most of us have sky texture/shader utilities, so I'm trying to find any value in this new utility. 

It appears to me to be a poor mans version of Envtex and Envshade.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

2 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

It appears to me to be a poor mans version of Envtex and Envshade.

Envtex and Envshade are both very inexpensive.

5 minutes ago, pracines said:

Envtex and Envshade are both very inexpensive.

I was not comparing price, because Toga products are feature packed,what I meant was, Shaderlabs does what Envetex does, but in a very limited way, and for 6 Euros.

Personally, it would be only good for infrequent flyers, who don't want to tinker, IMHO

Edited by ZKOKQ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

The tool might make sense if it could change seasons where the scenery doesn't have them.  A prominent version would be ORBX TrueEarth GB which comes with Summer textures only (both versions, XP as well as P3D). So, if the Shaderlabs tool can modify shaders to display snow etc. this would be useful. 

At first sight, this seems to be impossible, however the next version of Xenviro promises to do just this for X-Plane. With a growing number of photosceneries such a tool would certainly come handy, and ORBX themselves said they're doing experiments in that direction (which may or may not materialize).

However, for just 6 Euros I doubt Shaderlabs can achieve this, even more, as Xenviro is in another price category, but who knows? 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11