Sign in to follow this  
Novej757

Out of The Ashes: The New Black Phoenix Phenom 100E GTN-750 Mod

Your modifications to this biz jet will be the motivating factor for me to purchase it. Thank you for all of your hard work and expertise in making this possible!!

48 minutes ago, abccastro said:

Hi There! 

Will be a X-Plane 11 version for this beautiful jet?

Thanks!

Sorry i don't have X-Plane

Jevon 

PART IV

Sorry I've been MIA for so long.  The life of an engineering student is one of little free time.....#FACTS 😁 So this last part won't be nearly as long as the first three at least I hope it won't be LOL......  Like the real bird the brakes on the Carenado Phenom 100 can get kind of squirrelly especially on landing.  The real bird was one of the first business jets to incorporate electronic brakes.  Think of fly by wire just for your brakes.  Early on this caused many accidents because pilots who were used to manual hydraulic brakes would start pumping the brakes during their landing rolls.  They would quickly find that they suddenly lost all brake effectiveness, would pump more, still not slow down, freak out and assume the brakes failed, thus causing them to pull the emergency brake handle which would lock up the mains and subsequently deflate the tires.  Why would they pump the brakes you ask?  Simple, like fly by wire the electronic brakes give no physical "feel" like real brakes do.  Embraer tried to remedy this by incorporating different tensile springs attached to the brake pedals to simulate this feel but they had little success.  To compound the problem the system itself early on wasn't that reliable as it wasn't uncommon for brake sensor failures to occur during the landing sequence.  Again this would lead to pulled emergency brakes deflated tires, aircraft sliding off runways etc.  

photo.jpg

Read about the accident in this Picture HERE

"So Novej what was it about pumping the brakes that caused these accidents?"  Well I'm glad you asked.  It turns out Embraer programmed the brakes kind of like an on off switch.  Once they were applied during a landing sequence the pilot would have to maintain even pressure pressing the brake pedals through out rollout.  The system would apply the brakes in a linear fashion from a minimum pressure to a maximum until max brake effectiveness was achieved.  The problem is, if the pilot let off that pressure even for a fraction of a second, the system automatically reset to the minimum pressure which meant everytime he continued to pump them, he would continue to reset the system to minimum brake effectiveness.  Combine this with pilots failure to maintain incorrect landing speeds and it's easy to see where the problems would come in (they often landed too fast). Embraer is on like their 9th software revision of this system and many pilots still hate it (one of the few negatives real world pilots will tell you about an otherwise outstanding airplane)

Carenados P100 brakes can cause quite a few issues too.  I won't go into all of them but what I will say is I think I've drastically improved them.  First the majority of the problem came from two high a toe pressure brake setting and too high a differential braking effectiveness setting.  I've turned down the former and completely turned off the later.  Furthermore unlike the real aircraft and Carenado's version, the Phoenix requires the use of the Yaw damper all the way through the landing rollout.  Previously it would be disconnected on final approach.  Also don't forget the Phoenix now has spoilers too which are pilot activated on landing which can further help in the stopping program!.

"But Novej what about those of us who use differential braking to help steer???"  Don't you worry.  I've addressed that too.

Pheonix45_zpsyxaxe717.jpg

That Nose wheel steering though 😳

Pheonix46_zps1zmf3yk2.jpg

Pheonix47_zpsfpirdklc.jpg

You now have 70 degrees of nose wheel steering.  To put this in to perspective, this means the Phoenix can turn 180 degrees in nearly the width of its own wingspan!

Between the brake upgrades and steering changes I have found the Phoenix to be vastly easier to control on the ground.

SHE SEEMS PERFECT WHAT'S LEFT (RELEASE IT ALREADY)!!!!

Well not so fast there are still some nagging issues that I'd rather honestly fix before release, but I know the majority of you would not mind if I didn't.  The problem is as I've learned with the CJ2+ once the number of requests for the aircraft is in the hundreds its hard to push any later updates to everyone.  Not impossible, just hard....

Some of the issues include:

• (If you scroll up and look at the Primary Flight Displays (PFD)  You will see these first two points.) First the trim display looks fine.  The problem is, it's backwards.  That means as you trim UP the numbers it displays goes DOWN and vice versa. 
  • There is a nagging yellow TERRAIN warning displayed on the PFDs which is a bi product of the update Carenado did to allow the aircraft to be ready for their synthetic vision program
  • By programming the "invisible" spoilers to a two way VC switch there is no ARMING function.  This means the pilot must remember to activate the spoilers upon landing, a function the 100E and 100EV do automatically 
  • I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now......

Then there's the additional features that I'd like to add but haven't had time to yet.....For instance just like my CJ2+ mod I want to add all the aircraft checklists to the GTN!  I'd also like to create a display on the MFD which shows real time aircraft gross weight.  This would help with landing and takeoff speed calculations tremendously as you would not have to leave the sim to pull up the payload menu to see what it is....

Like I've said numerous times we won't even get into how much work it will requir to package all these changes up in a way that wouldn't effect your base model Carenado Phenom 100s.......

Anyways that's it everyone! This is my Black Phoenix Phenom 100E GTN750, mod.  For all my CJ2+ fans this is the reason why you all haven't got an update in a REALLY long time.  However, I am proud to say even on this very day (LITERALLY) I'm still getting request for her! 

If I do release the Phoenix's I only hope they can generate just as much hype!  Thanks to everyone who have commented so far, and all who have read this entirely too long thread.  So like I always end these, tell me what you guys think!? 👀

Edited by Novej757
  • Like 1

Jevon 

11 hours ago, Novej757 said:

So like I always end these, tell me what you guys think!? 👀

I can't wait! This all sounds too good to be true. I fly the Carenado Phenom 100 regularly and love it, but everything you talk about as a shortfall is so true and bothers me. I fly RW out of KMLB (Melbourne, FL) where the US Embraer Phenom production line is. I've toured the plant and love that airplane.

• Like 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Wow @Novej757 !

Incredible. I'd like to ask one thing which may possibly be slightly left field. Presently with the Navigraph extension pack, one can't import flight plans. There wouldn't be anyway to easily fix that glaring hole would there please?

I get it if not but just thought I'd ask, as its so fundamental, I'm seriously considering migrating to  A N Other plane which would be sad.

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cloudrider said:

Wow @Novej757 !

Incredible. I'd like to ask one thing which may possibly be slightly left field. Presently with the Navigraph extension pack, one can't import flight plans. There wouldn't be anyway to easily fix that glaring hole would there please?

I get it if not but just thought I'd ask, as its so fundamental, I'm seriously considering migrating to  A N Other plane which would be sad.

Thanks a lot.

Sorry man nothing I can do about that!

Jevon 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:54 PM, Novej757 said:

So what do you guys think???

Absolutely magnificent. I so look forward to another version and hope to be able to obtain the mod.

Me want it already!!! 😄

Cudos Novej757. BIG thumbs up.

Edited by Fearless
  • Like 1

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

Just wondering Novej757, Which GTN750s have you implemented,  Flight1 or RXP? and

Where can I get the repaint from? 😄

Edited by Fearless

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

On 4/9/2019 at 9:48 PM, Fearless said:

Just wondering Novej757, Which GTN750s have you implemented,  Flight1 or RXP? and

Where can I get the repaint from? 😄

I could have sworn I answered this question here.........just noticed that I hadn't.  Maybe I started and never finished......Anyways I use the Flight1 GTN.  However, there are some users that have confirmed the RXP works with the CJ2 mod too.  I can't believe I forgot to include the reference to the original paint.  This livery is a custom version of HB-VRV done by Pascal Kuffer (available in the Avsim library). 

• Like 1

Jevon 

18 hours ago, Novej757 said:

I could have sworn I answered this question here.........just noticed that I hadn't.  Maybe I started and never finished......Anyways I use the Flight1 GTN.  However, there are some users that have confirmed the RXP works with the CJ2 mod too.  I can't believe I forgot to include the reference to the original paint.  This livery is a custom version of HB-VRV done by Pascal Kuffer (available in the Avsim library). 

Awesome.. Thanks for that.. Now can I have it already?? 😄

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

On 4/19/2019 at 7:07 PM, Fearless said:

Awesome.. Thanks for that.. Now can I have it already?? 😄

I'm entering Finals Week/ Hell Week...................  Don't worry things will be in motion real soon.... 😉 

• Like 1

Jevon