Hi, I'm currently an Xplane 11 user planning to switch to p3d. 

I've recently tried p3dv4.4 and noticed my fps was very low(15fps) compared to Xplane 11(70+fps), is this normal? I'm currently running only REX sky force, tomatoshade, and the QW787. No other scenery or add-ons since I'm only getting started. Default F22 at a default airport gives around 40 fps. Graphics drivers and Windows updates are at its latest.

I also heard that p3d is very CPU intensive, maybe that could be the problem? Do I need a new CPU just to play p3d?

Specs:

Windows 10

AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080

16GB RAM

ASUS X370 motherboard

19 hours ago, Sp33dM said:

Hi, I'm currently an Xplane 11 user planning to switch to p3d. 

I've recently tried p3dv4.4 and noticed my fps was very low(15fps) compared to Xplane 11(70+fps), is this normal? I'm currently running only REX sky force, tomatoshade, and the QW787. No other scenery or add-ons since I'm only getting started. Default F22 at a default airport gives around 40 fps. Graphics drivers and Windows updates are at its latest.

I also heard that p3d is very CPU intensive, maybe that could be the problem? Do I need a new CPU just to play p3d?

Specs:

Windows 10

AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080

16GB RAM

ASUS X370 motherboard

Intel cpu’s are preferred due to higher clock speeds but u should still be able to get good performance with your Ryzen cpu.  I imagine u had a couple settings set to high to cause your performance issue.  V4 is also very GPU intensive as well.  U have to be careful and watch your usage % or you will get drastic frame drops

Matt Wilson

7 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Intel cpu’s are preferred due to higher clock speeds but u should still be able to get good performance with your Ryzen cpu.  I imagine u had a couple settings set to high to cause your performance issue.  V4 is also very GPU intensive as well.  U have to be careful and watch your usage % or you will get drastic frame drops

My settings are on low. Though today I started p3d, the fps went up by 10, which is somewhat playable and unusual. Any tips on increasing more fps? 

10 hours ago, Sp33dM said:

My settings are on low. Though today I started p3d, the fps went up by 10, which is somewhat playable and unusual. Any tips on increasing more fps? 

Can u post your settings and sim location where u are testing?

Matt Wilson

On 3/3/2019 at 6:07 AM, mpw8679 said:

Can u post your settings and sim location where u are testing?

My settings are on medium-low on most sliders, cloud density and distance are on high. 

My P3D install location is on the SSD, about 50gb left in that storage

43 minutes ago, Sp33dM said:

My settings are on medium-low on most sliders, cloud density and distance are on high. 

My P3D install location is on the SSD, about 50gb left in that storage

What you really need to do is monitor your GPU usage and memory % while in flight.  Sky force is very hard on the GPU.  AA settings?  Dynamic lighting?  Shadows? Cloud texture resolution?  Auto gen? We need to know your specific settings.  Your GTX1080 is not a very powerful card.  Some settings might need to be lower then you think.

Matt Wilson

6 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Your GTX1080 is not a very powerful card.  Some settings might need to be lower then you think.

Sorry to disagree.. a 1080 should be able to deliver good performance in P3DV4..

Yes, settings matter for sure, but the video card is fine for the job..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bert

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Sorry to disagree.. a 1080 should be able to deliver good performance in P3DV4..

When did I say it wouldn’t?

9 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Yes, settings matter for sure, but the video card is fine for the job..

Thanks for your two cents.  

Matt Wilson

7 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Your GTX1080 is not a very powerful card.

This is just wrong and should be ignored.

Greg

4 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Oh good another guy that has absolutely nothing constructive to add to help the OP showed up.  We’ll call you Bert number 2.  #2 for short

Have you? Think Bert 1 and 2 give more clues

Edited by westman

2 minutes ago, westman said:

Have you? Think Bert 1 and 2 gives more

Well after I reviewed this topic I am the only one that has directly answered the OP, asked for his settings, and offered suggestions.  What do you have to offer #3?  

Matt Wilson

ok stop the macho duel and stay on topic or this gets shut down.

The 10 series and the 20 series are the strongest cards available currently. The 1080 is more than adequate for P3Dv4. The OP should concentrate on other areas for improving his performance.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Try Switching of SMT (Simultaneous Multi Threading) in your Bios. I have the Ryzen 2700x and a 1080ti and it worked for me. 

What resolution are you running at?

If you can send us some screen shots of you're settings we might be able to advise you better. Some settings are CPU killers.

P.s. Ignore the Intel fan boys, the Ryzen CPU's run just as well at the same price point. 

6 hours ago, Nagmaal said:

Try Switching of SMT (Simultaneous Multi Threading) in your Bios. I have the Ryzen 2700x and a 1080ti and it worked for me. 

What resolution are you running at?

If you can send us some screen shots of you're settings we might be able to advise you better. Some settings are CPU killers.

P.s. Ignore the Intel fan boys, the Ryzen CPU's run just as well at the same price point. 

Settings are posted above in the imgur album. Also would SMT improve performance on other games as well?