Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[02MAR19] Humpty Was Pushed: PMDG Has Left the Building

9 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I visit AVSIM mostly for X-Plane and other Flightsims Forums... and it has been like that for years !  I believe many other do excatly the same ?

+1

Jean-Jacques Struyf

between EBBR and EBCI

57 minutes ago, Opterix said:

Since PMDG moderators have deleted each posting without real first and last name

Precisely because a PMDG product, be it any product, is amuch sought-after item, and in some instances, has been acquired er-hmm, by other surreptitious means(I know of a word-not-alllowed P3D user, and I have tried to alert but was ignored), hence that requirement for first and last names, to prove one seeking help in a PMDG Forum, is a genuine product owner.

Just as I have no qualms with the multitude of CCTV cameras festooning our High Sts because I have nothing to hide from, so with complying with PMDG's first and last name rules. The same applies in FSL's Forums. Nobody kicks off there.

• Like 3

I only picked up the humor of PMDG about PBR (pabst blue ribbon) and gave a link to my thread in the screenshot forum. It was this one.
And this posting was deleted.

So to be allowed to smile about the humor of PMDG I have to proof first that I'm a "genuine product owner"?

:biggrin:

Or did PMDG have lost their humor?

Edited by Opterix

5 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

All of the PMDG moderators have been dumped from moderator status, thus making it impossible for us to do as we promised. 

Impossible? Surely its not impossible. The Avsim moderators are still quite capable of moderating, and the "report post" button still works. People are still going to be talking about PMDG here at Avsim and other forums where PMDG staff do not have moderators, so I see no reason to be too concerned. PMDG need not be concerned what others "think", the products and service speaks for itself. Anybody can sign a fake name, so if that is a large part of the issue, it could be a non issue altogether for all anyone knows.

But either way...

I personally will "defend the truth" about PMDG quality here when I know falsehoods are being stated, and will do my part in directing interested simmers to the new forum. 

I bookmarked the new PMDG forum on day 1, so I'm good. :biggrin:

To the rest of the community:

Please lets not let this turn into a Avsim vs PMDG topic...unity is vital in this tiny community, division will destroy us.

• Like 1

Seems to me that some noise is going around AVSIM forums lately. There are some cases I won´t mention, very valuable people that have also left, well known by the entire community. So I hope AVSIM gets the message in a proper way and changes or improves what it would need to be improved.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 4

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

9 minutes ago, pracines said:

To the rest of the community:

Please lets not let this turn into a Avsim vs PMDG topic...unity is vital in this tiny community, division will destroy us.

That's a very good idea!

So let us turn this thread into a topic about open doors and right of privacy.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, there will still be a PMDG forum here at AVsim. It has been moved to the unofficial user to user area. You can still discuss PMDG products and share information with each other. So to correct some previous assumptions, PMDG has not completely left the building, just their official forums.  This forum now falls under the management of Avsim staff.

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

8 minutes ago, Opterix said:

That's a very good idea!

But this is (still) the PMDG forum, so lets not do that here.

The primary topic here is the new PMDG forum not internet or international law.

Starting a new topic in Hangar Chat would be a better choice.🙂

See this topic in Hangar Chat for the full explanation from Jim Young.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/551130-pmdg/

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Gentlemen and ladies, we are not going to get into a privacy debate.  That has nothing to do with today's announcement.  Please step away from that topic.  It's over and done.

I know what many feel about this and I think that most other members do too.  So let it go.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

3 hours ago, Opterix said:

That's a very good idea!

Best of luck with that because Avsim has always been a place that expects users to follow the rules. That’s one of the reasons I like and respect it. PMDG only added the additional rule of requiring full real names. Partly to help track illegal users but mainly to encourage civility. Why some people equate forum anonymity with privacy is beyond me. Hiding behind a nickname online allows some people to behave badly in a way they would never do face to face. If you post in public you should be responsible for what you say. I’ll continue to follow PMDG rules in this forum even though their mods are no longer here to enforce it. I encourage others to do the same. Just because the police aren’t around is no reason to break the law.

• Like 7

ki9cAAb.jpg

Being a 52 year old guy, if a person adds a "signature", how can one tell it is real in the first place? Am I missing something here? I have always used my real name in forums. But signature?? I could sign in with any name. Am I missing something?

Edited by Peter Webber

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

6 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

PMDG has been responsible for most traffic on avsim, people came here mostly because of the PMDG forum.

There are many of us here who fly strictly GA and were here before PMDG arrived.   At times PMDG traffic here has overshadowed our presence and use.  That has not been constant, but at those times GA has been diluted.  When Tom was still here with us I on two occasions suggested he split Avsim into two conjoined sites but the difficulty was, and has been, common elements to both GA and Commercial, such as for instance weather engines; 3rd party GPS gauges; and ATC add ons among other elements.  I wish PMDG good fortune in it's endeavor.  I expect to see continued traffic here from both enthusiast groups as it will be difficult for PMDG to duplicate the overall support and knowledge landscape that has over the years developed here at Avsim.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

5 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

Being a 52 year old guy, if a person adds a "signature", how can one tell it is real in the first place? Am I missing something here? I have always used my real name in forums. But signature?? I could sign in with any name. Am I missing something?

Yes. When people posted on the forum and had their name in the signature, PMDG could always pull up an order off of the name if it became necessary to do so. You could sign with a fake name, but if you then post a support issue that requires PMDG to pull up your order, pulling up the fake name would obviously result in nothing coming up.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Could someone explain why the user OrbX forum here disappeared yet the PMDG one is staying? I think user to user forums can be very useful especially when dealing with the trivial or just random discussion and in a FRIENDLY way. Would it be pertinent to ask if a developer has the final say on whether a user to user forum may exist to discuss their products on a non commercial discussion site such as AVSIM? Obviously we are entitled to review commercial products on AVSIM and offer our experiences on both the products and the developers level of support for their products. A user to user forum is perfect for this as such critique would not be allowed on a developer run forum. 

I DO hope the PMDG-ers find time to drop in here and drop pearls of wisdom now and then. Not just to promote sales but as sign of mutual respect. I believe AVSIM has done as much for the success of PMDG as they have done for us here at AVSIM. Traffic flowing in both directions for sure. 

Good people (moderators) have to sometimes make tough, unpopular decisions while monitoring respectable forums such as AVSIM. I wish PMDG every success with their new forums and hope short term minor resentment during this relocation will not affect an ongoing mutual respect between the 2 sites, as they both provide a valuable source of info and camaraderie for all of us. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK