Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Differential (Toe) Brakes

Is there a way of adjusting the sensitivity of the brake function on my Logitech / Saitek rudder/brake pedals?  The toe brakes (left / right) are assignable but the toe pedal action is so sensitive that as soon as I apply any pressure to the pedals themselves (e.g. just rest my feet) the brakes come on - even without any downward (tilt) motion.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I use CH Pro Pedals so I am not familiar with the Saitek model but have you gone to Options/Settings/Controls within FSX and tried adjusting the sensitivity and/or null zone settings for the brakes for your rudder pedals? You could try reducing the Sensitivity slider or increasing the Null Zone slider - either may help.

Bill

1 hour ago, scianoir said:

Hi Andrew,

I use CH Pro Pedals so I am not familiar with the Saitek model but have you gone to Options/Settings/Controls within FSX and tried adjusting the sensitivity and/or null zone settings for the brakes for your rudder pedals? You could try reducing the Sensitivity slider or increasing the Null Zone slider - either may help.

Bill

Yes, Bill, I've tried both - and it does help a bit but doesn't stop it.  Another thing is that when the brakes come on they don't release. Most other control assignments (on 'joystick' type control) can be 'once only' or 'repeat' but not this case.  I even tried deleting the toe brakes entirely from the rudder pedal controller and assigning 'Brakes' (left or right), but although the dialogue box comes up it will not accept the selection - the field remains blank.  I hope that makes sense - it's hard to describe.

Yes that seems to make sense. Do you by any chance have the payware version of FSUIPC installed? If you do, that has settings for left and right brakes in the section 'Joystick Calibration' and perhaps something there might be giving rise to the problem. I have the payware FSUIPC installed but I don't use it for the brakes instead calibrating them through the FSX settings menu while leaving the relevant FSUIPC settings at 0. As I mentioned, I use CH Pro pedals but perhaps someone using Saitek pedals may be able to give you more help with this frustrating problem.

Bill

17 minutes ago, scianoir said:

Yes that seems to make sense. Do you by any chance have the payware version of FSUIPC installed? If you do, that has settings for left and right brakes in the section 'Joystick Calibration' and perhaps something there might be giving rise to the problem. I have the payware FSUIPC installed but I don't use it for the brakes instead calibrating them through the FSX settings menu while leaving the relevant FSUIPC settings at 0. As I mentioned, I use CH Pro pedals but perhaps someone using Saitek pedals may be able to give you more help with this frustrating problem.

Bill

Thanks again, Bill.  I do have the payware FSUIPC but, as far as I know, don't use it at all.  It may be that, unknown to me, some of the settings are under its control.  I'll check.

Andrew

For anyone following this thread, I found the answer.  In my FSX controls settings there are five controls offered: Mouse, Mouse Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Saitek Quadrant and Flight Yoke.  For reasons I've never understood, from time to time I've found random keyboard, button and even joystick assignments have changed in those controllers that I use.  I keep an eye on them but I've never bothered with checking the settings of  Mouse and Mouse Yoke because I've never used them.  Sure enough there were assignments there related to brakes which, no doubt, were conflicting with or overwriting the ones in the Saitek pedals.

• Like 1