Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

25 miles of scenic bliss in a DHC-1 Chipmunk

The British aviation pioneer, Geoffrey de Havilland, founder of the de Havilland Aircraft Company, has left an indelible impression on early aviation and aircraft development. Just like the Wright Brothers, Geoffrey and his (younger) brother Hereward, between 1909 and 1912, tested (and improved) many aircraft designs, leading to the establishment of a British Altitude Record, in 1912, of 10,500', with an aircraft of his own design (the B.E.2). Hereward was the test pilot. Produced later on, Geoffrey's "Wooden Wonder" (the de Havilland Mosquito) has been considered one of the most versatile warplanes ever built. And, he was also the champion of the DH Comet, world's first commercial jet airliner.

In 1928, the de Havilland "Canada" (dHC) spin-off was created by the British de Havilland Aircraft Company. The dHC company has gone through a successive chain of ownership: British de Havilland Aircraft Company (1920/Root) -> de Havilland Canada (1928) -> Boeing (1986) -> Bombardier (1992) ->  Viking Air of BC (2006). This year, Viking Air is also acquiring the Dash-8 Q400 program from Bombardier.

The DHC-1 Chipmunk, introduced in 1946, and named after the chirpy rodent, was de Havilland Canada's 1st post-war design, which will subsequently lead to their highly successful bush planes (DHC-2 Beaver and DHC-3 Otter). It is said that the de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk looks the way an airplane should look! Although the Royal Air Force (RAF) has been one of the primary operators of this aircraft, it has been also popular in civilian operations. More than 70 years after its birth, hundreds of Chipmunks still continue to be diligently maintained, remaining airworthy and in active service.

Here is Rick Piper's (FW classic) Chipmunk, on a short but sweet sightseeing tour, from San Martin (E16) to San Jose (KSJC), a distance coverage of only about 25 miles, in beautiful Northern California. Hope you enjoy these pictures of the lovable Chippie in the historic color of Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. [FW(DHC1),Orbx(NCA),REX] [Note: JF has a good DHC-1 model available. I did try the Demo today, and it seems like an accurate and authentic SIM, but, probably not up-to-date for P3D!]

GOAwb9.png

8meJbm.png

GHZkNP.png

BiVIDs.png

TyIumb.png

RoUPJR.png

qG9Nsv.png

76jCkY.png

Kn7PrD.png

9JFO81.png

VLh0tE.png

5F3qVB.png

iy4YoP.png

WKz1UH.png

qvwuK2.png

NnPdJl.png

xN7cJe.png

JQQzMC.png

vXismh.png

gktrKM.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

First plane I flew in real life.

Unforgettable.

These are great shots.

Edited by harrry
  • Upvote 1

Harry Woodrow

Thanks, Harry! Not often, we hear someone actually "fly" in "RL" a SIM plane from here...
That would have been surely unforgettable, as you say, being your 1st trainer, and that too, a classic like this!

15 hours ago, P_7878 said:

[Note: JF has a good DHC-1 model available. I did try the Demo today, and it seems like an accurate and authentic SIM, but, probably not up-to-date for P3D!]

The JF Chipmunk works fine in all versions of FSX and all versions of P3D too. It's a nice representation of the real thing, which I have flown for real (also been aerotowed by them a lot in the past when flying gliders).

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Nice shots. Sunsets captured well. First aircraft I learned to service in the RAF at School of Techinical Training No.4(STT) in late-60s at a now long-gone RAF Newton in Notts. Lost count of the marshalling duties too there. In the cold, the wet. Distant memories of a by-gone era.

• Like 1

Alan: Thanks for the compatibility note. I now recall I’ve my JF version (from a few years ago) in the DVD stored somewhere...will have to dig it up. A very nice aircraft and JF’s is a good SIM...thanks to them for taking on some of these planes for us...

Rick: Thanks. Great remembrances! Cold and wet, and working on a Chippie...that’s the way to go....

Edited by P_7878