Sign in to follow this  
jozeff

stars way too bright

Hi guys,

A quick question...

The stars in my vr headset are redicilously bright and there are way too many.

I played with autostars (I believe it's called) but I get even more stars. No matter what I tried in there, the sky is massively filled with white dots.

I tried to edit the stars.dat file in Excel and notepad++ but that resulted in a pitch black sky...

Can someone send me a modified stars.dat file with less bright stars or tell me how to achieve that? That would be awesome!!!

Thanks.

Jozeff

• Like 1

I would love to send you a stars.dat but I think the moderators on this site are paranoid about copyright. You have to use the freeware program AutostarX it does a fantastic job once you learn it. There is also a payware product Stargazer. Envtex does a great job with the milky way in VR so long as you use the full 4K texture version. The moon is too big but there is nothing you can do about that because there is a bug in P3D that won't allow custom moon size options in suneffect.cfg.

• Like 1

This AVSIM link is to a post I made on using AutoStarsX.  Hope it helps.

Grace and Peace, 

• Like 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Wow thanks man!

Great info!

Yes I used autostars but I ended up having many many bright stars. I tried to edit the brightest stars but the dat file I created just does not work correctly. You know, one dot or comma and the file doesn't load correctly..

Thanks again I'll check your post.

Edit: great read but how do I DEcrease the amount of stars and dimm them. I mean, the pixels in my headset are just too big and bright.

Jozeff

Edited by jozeff

Hello, I have tried running autostarx.exe but I get an error that says "MSVBVM50.dll" is missing and that a reinstall might solve the problem.  I also notice that I don't have a stars.dat file in my p3d folder, but I have stars at night.  I have p3dv4.4 and windows 10.  Has anyone else seen this?  Thanks.

--Don

Don Polidori

34 minutes ago, FlyData said:

MSVBVM50

It can be downloaded from the MS download center.

35 minutes ago, FlyData said:

I don't have a stars.dat file in my p3d folder

It should be there as a stand-alone file. You might try doing a search.  It's the same file that is in FSX.

Grace and Peace, 

Ok you have it.

I installed stargazer and I still have redicilously many stars!!

I want half of them but editing the stars.dat file is not working for me.

Any thoughts?

Jozeff

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jozeff said:

stargazer

I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about stargazer. 🙂

Grace and Peace, 

The only way to reduce the number of stars in Stargazer is to change the displayed magnitude. And since you are using Stargazer you should know that the stars you see are based on a star chart and are actually in the correct places and amounts. I am using Stargazer (and almost all the Black Marble products). I am an amateur astronomer and am quite pleased with it.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Hi Jozeff,

Have you managed to resolve your issue? I'm facing the same problem in my VR experience - too many and to big and squared stars in VR night sky...

Cheers!!

Marcin

I am not using VR, but the Sun must have been 5 degrees above the horizon during my quick test flight this morning......and stars were visible in the sky above it :rolleyes:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi!

No I gave up on the stars.... Have been altering the config file a few times. Somehow I just don't get it how to lower the amount of stars. Half the sky is black or I get an area where there is a huge amount of starts next to a black area. I fly xplane11 quite a bit now. Those stars are ugly as well and way too large😆

Aeroflyfs2 looks great on VR so I fly the helicopter in that one ..

Cheers

Jozeff

Thanks for the update. Personally I found XPLANE 11 in VIVE a pain, very unpleasant. I also fly AS2 but  only for fun and visuals... P3D + FLyinside is my sim to go ...