Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

FSPS Friction Tool - Anyone tried this?

Wont work in v4, the sim1.dll offsets are all different. I have written plenty of posts how to do this yourself at fsdeveloper, take a look. 

The sim friction is way off, this can be confirmed by looking at how much Fn is required to get a sim aircraft moving v real numbers

The coefficient of tyre rolling friction for concrete is 0.0135, in P3d it is set at 0.050! 

20 hours ago, kand said:

Wont work in v4, the sim1.dll offsets are all different. I have written plenty of posts how to do this yourself at fsdeveloper, take a look. 

The sim friction is way off, this can be confirmed by looking at how much Fn is required to get a sim aircraft moving v real numbers

The coefficient of tyre rolling friction for concrete is 0.0135, in P3d it is set at 0.050! 

But does the tool do a decent job of reducing the friction?

By the way, why is friction such an issue in the sim? Is it 'impossible' to model that correctly?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

43 minutes ago, threegreen said:

But does the tool do a decent job of reducing the friction?

By the way, why is friction such an issue in the sim? Is it 'impossible' to model that correctly?

I have seen issues with several payware airliners and this tool, and once customers removed it the aircraft was fine again.  I don't own the tool myself, thus I've never actually used it.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I used this tool in FSX some years ago and frankly wasn't very impressed with it. The ground friction LUA in the FSUIPC4 seem a better option in FSX but alas not available for P3DV4. Sure wish LM could improve ground friction in the next update. Hard to keep a jet rolling on idle thrust which I understand is all that's necessary in RW. 

Vic green

Thanks all. I was thinking it can't be doing that great of a job if I've never heard of it before.

Still, is it hard to model the friction correctly or is it just one of those things that have been there since early Microsoft FS days and never been touched again?

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

3 hours ago, threegreen said:

Thanks all. I was thinking it can't be doing that great of a job if I've never heard of it before.

Still, is it hard to model the friction correctly or is it just one of those things that have been there since early Microsoft FS days and never been touched again?

The "hard coded" rolling/sliding/braking coefficients contained in sim1.dll are the problem. These values have persisted since the original fs2000 days, sim physics are fine, the coefficients Aces used were not accurate. 

If LM altered these to correct them, they would break every airfile, this because airfile designers have to compensate the static thrust value to overcome the ridiculous tyre coefficients. Its not a difficult job to change the airfile, but I doubt there is appetite among the commercial vendors 

This is the reason that idle thrust fuel burn is always too high, because in turn net thrust has to be bumped up. Any aircraft that displays the correct FB on the ground at idle/taxi is either faking the numbers or will be impossible to taxi at low N1! 

Edited by kand

21 hours ago, kand said:

The "hard coded" rolling/sliding/braking coefficients contained in sim1.dll are the problem. These values have persisted since the original fs2000 days, sim physics are fine, the coefficients Aces used were not accurate. 

If LM altered these to correct them, they would break every airfile, this because airfile designers have to compensate the static thrust value to overcome the ridiculous tyre coefficients. Its not a difficult job to change the airfile, but I doubt there is appetite among the commercial vendors 

This is the reason that idle thrust fuel burn is always too high, because in turn net thrust has to be bumped up. Any aircraft that displays the correct FB on the ground at idle/taxi is either faking the numbers or will be impossible to taxi at low N1! 

Thank you for the insight.