Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

Auto Pilot keeps disengaging -747 V3

Thanks that's a start. I believed it is not up to you to select a sid or star. When you get a real flight plan (I use FSCommander with online connection to flight plans), it gives you a plan that starts and ends at a certain waypoint. It may vary from day to day. So you have to insert a sid that ends at the first waypoint on the plan and then insert a star that starts at the last waypoint of the plan (by the way sometimes wind changes direction on final and you have to scrap the whole star/transition, another question I'll ask other time, now now).

So if I find any small STAR that isn't RNAV, it will not fit into flightplan, there will be a break (a dead zone) between the last waypoint of a plan and the beginning of a star. I guess I can ignore it and fly thru the dead zone but I'm not sure it's ok in real life ;))) Ok I'll see what I can do and we can have another topic then. As for the yoke, I'd hate to replace it since it's giving me a problem only with PMDG 747. It's my 2nd CH yoke, it seems it isn't very reliable so if replacing I should probably look into Saitek.

skelsey the subject is about flying the analogue tech planes in modern times, which is even more complicated then back in the day because you are required to follow this "mini route" (c) as Kyle calls the sids and stars ))) And you brought up an interesting point: most of the average flightplans today can't be done in VOR mode. So I can continue using the GPS and not worry about this method as "cheating", I guess. So the DC9s and the 737-200 that Delta flew less than 10 years ago had GPSes in them?

Speaking of concentration required to fly it the old way, indeed I find it very hard, nearly impossible to do a small VOR based sid with so much going on and semi-automated autopilot that needs inputs. Simmers of any nationality are very  intelligent people, I am somewhat below that level of talent ;))))

52 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

This is probably the main issue. Either make sure it's calibrated (and then re-do your null zone calibration), or get new hardware (not ideal, I know).

2 hours ago, alexzar14 said:

So yes that was my problem, my original post. The Yoke was not centered correctly. I engaged the auto pilot and when it disengaged I adjusted the yoke about 2 clicks, reengaged the auto pilot and the problem want away. The Yoke was not centered precisely, which is interesting since all of the other add-ons I use including the PMDG 747 V1 & 737 wasn't that sensitive. Since my  hardware is approximately 15 yrs old I am replacing it soon anyway..

Forshaw.  

11 minutes ago, forshaw said:

So yes that was my problem, my original post. The Yoke was not centered correctly. I engaged the auto pilot and when it disengaged I adjusted the yoke about 2 clicks, reengaged the auto pilot and the problem want away. The Yoke was not centered precisely, which is interesting since all of the other add-ons I use including the PMDG 747 V1 & 737 wasn't that sensitive. Since my  hardware is approximately 15 yrs old I am replacing it soon anyway..

Forshaw.  

In my case calibration does not help because my yoke has a faulty mechanism, both P3D and Xplane-11 see the vertical axis being pressed downwards when the yoke is in neutral. The horizontal axis is centered but the vertical is offsetted and the sim thinks I am pressing on it, when I'm not. I'll make and upload a pic when I get home.

You can turn off the option that disconnects the A/P when the yoke is not centred or you bump it accidentally.  The option is in the FMC...not at home right now to check where, but that's how I have mine set up.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

1 hour ago, netshadoe said:

You can turn off the option that disconnects the A/P when the yoke is not centred or you bump it accidentally.  The option is in the FMC...not at home right now to check where, but that's how I have mine set up.

Thanks I'll check it out tonight (typing from work too). I did scroll thru all the fmc system and pages and didn't notice anything of this nature, next time will pay a closer attention.

1 hour ago, netshadoe said:

Great thanks I didn't realize i had that option in the FMC. Like Alexander said, I didn't see that option as I combed through the FMC as I try to get familiar with the functions and options. I will check again when i get home later. I am used to getting a separate config tool which easily lays out all of the options which you can easily review and select. I understand PMDG wants to be "As Real As Ii Gets" in the real world using the FMC for everything. But for things like this, could have been done outside of the FMC. Just my 4 cents.

Thanks again for the info.

Forshaw. 

39 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Check page 100 and 102 of the intro manual. One of those options should be what you're looking for.

Thanks Cap, I really appreciate it. Will do it when i get home. Funny, I am sure I did a search but it didn't come up. Who knows what document I searched😄.

Since I have got you I have a quick question; is there a way that you know of to move or remove the pilot seat completely? I did have it in my original post but it was burred in the AP Disengage post. Regardless on how I set up my views standalone or Ez Dock the pilot seat obstructs my view of the instruments. I have tried everything but can't seem to get it out of the way. I will post it on the new PMDG site, but I assume just try here first since there are so many users here.

Thanks.

Forshaw.

5 hours ago, alexzar14 said:

Thanks I'll check it out tonight (typing from work too). I did scroll thru all the fmc system and pages and didn't notice anything of this nature, next time will pay a closer attention.

ok I didn't find an option to disable the AP disconnect but I found a solution that seems to work: I played with the value for CRL COLUMN NULL ZONE (fmc page 2 under simulation options) and the value that works for me is 30%, but it can vary depending on your nose attitude when engaging the autopilot, I think I'll just enter 50% and move on. It doesn't affect the hand-flying behavior so I think it's autopilot related, whatever. I didn't check Captain Kevin's suggestion yet, will check it out now!

2 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

The seat itself, no. I don't think it's possible. You can remove the headrests via the FMC. That would fall under aircraft equipment.

Yes I did remove the headrests via the FMC, but that wasn't enough. But, thank you. Interesting enough it doesn't seem to be an issue for most people since I only saw it reported about 3 times over the internet. I will post it on the PMDG new site just to see what the Developers say.

Thanks again.

Forshaw.

ok found it, now we have 2 solutions. With CTL INPUT WITH AP disabled, the plane will completely ignore your yoke inputs no matter what you do with the yoke. With adjusted COLUMN NULL ZONE value you can still disconnect autopilot when you put pressure on the yoke. I understand that nobody would ever disconnect an AP this way, but it's a nice feature when you do it by an accident and the plane reacts to it, makes you be careful with controls and be on the edge.

I'm surprised Kyle didn't suggest it, he knows every option on the CDU and has probably memorized all the manuals A to Z ; ))))  But it's good that pmdg includes all these tons of options, shows these guys don't cut corners.

Edited by alexzar14

38 minutes ago, alexzar14 said:

With adjusted COLUMN NULL ZONE value you can still disconnect autopilot when you put pressure on the yoke. I understand that nobody would ever disconnect an AP this way, but it's a nice feature when you do it by an accident and the plane reacts to it, makes you be careful with controls and be on the edge.

Unless you have the autopilot on and you get an RA, in which case that would probably be the fastest way to deal with it.

39 minutes ago, alexzar14 said:

I'm surprised Kyle didn't suggest it, he knows every option on the CDU and has probably memorized all the manuals A to Z

The control input with autopilot disabled isn't exactly realistic, so I'm not really too surprised he didn't suggest it since he's all for realism. As for the null zone, he did suggest calibrating your controls, then re-doing your null zones.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

@Captain Kevin Found the setting in the FMC as you suggested and yes it worked.

Also thanks for the alternative from Alexander and yourself, good to know.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.