Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Congrats plus a couple of questions

Firstly, congratulations on producing such a great aircraft. Hard to find fault and no regrets whatsoever at my purchase.

Couple of questions...

1) There is a warning on the FMC when de-icing is on when TAT is > 10C but no warning when it's off below 10C. Is that by design? That seems more critical than leaving it on when not required.

2) In PMDG - Options - Performance higher fps can be entered. I have changed PFD, ND and EFIS on the VC to 35 but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Is it limited at 25?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

unfortunately, the official forum has moved here (V) now if you need support:

http://forum.pmdg.com

No one from PMDG are here anymore. nice to drop the congrats to them there 😉

As well as the support probably 🙂

Victor Roos

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Couple of questions...

1) There is a warning on the FMC when de-icing is on when TAT is > 10C but no warning when it's off below 10C. Is that by design? That seems more critical than leaving it on when not required.

2) In PMDG - Options - Performance higher fps can be entered. I have changed PFD, ND and EFIS on the VC to 35 but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Is it limited at 25?

1 - that's how it works in the real jet.  Engine A/I is only required below 10 deg C when visible moisture is present, so a warning based on temp alone would be superfluous in clear conditions (i.e. most of the time).

2 - no, it's not limited to 25, but it is limited to no higher than the actual frame rate.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Bob, thanks for your answers. So in clear conditions withal TAT of -10C can I turn off all anti-ice and window heats? What would constitute visible moisture? Cloud? And if so, only engage anti-ice / window heat when passing through cloud?

My fps are generally around 60 when airborne but I’m pretty certain the displays are still stuck at 25. I’ll try 50, thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Bob, thanks for your answers. So in clear conditions withal TAT of -10C can I turn off all anti-ice and window heats? What would constitute visible moisture? Cloud? And if so, only engage anti-ice / window heat when passing through cloud?

My fps are generally around 60 when airborne but I’m pretty certain the displays are still stuck at 25. I’ll try 50, thanks.

Window heat is always on, unless it's malfunctioning.  Window heat serves as anti-ice, also as a window defogger, and to keep the plexiglass warm so that it's less brittle in the event of a birdstrike. 

Anti-ice is a preventative countermeasure, so it's turned on in anticipation of operations in visible moisture with TAT < 10 deg C.  If you were climbing/descending into a cloud layer with TAT < 10 deg C, you'd want to turn the engine A/I on before reaching icing conditions to preheat the stator vanes and nacelle lips.  There is no requirement to turn off engine A/I...e.g. it won't hurt anything to be on when not required, but it does affect fuel efficiency and slightly reduces available thrust.  Visible moisture includes rain, sleet, snow, clouds, fog, and mist. 

De-ice is a corrective countermeasure...it's only used when icing is present.  Wing de-ice should be turned off when not in icing conditions because it can actually damage the leading edges and the ducts if left on when it's hot/dry.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks Bob, excellent post. At present, due to a limited number of GoFlight switches, I have all those on a single switch. I’m going to have to think about how to reconfigure without resorting to using the mouse.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, MarkW said:

So I guess the "PMDG is not here anymore" post will officially replace the "sign with your full real name" post.  Only on Avsim!

I think in the short term a lot of people will come here looking for them, given the links are probably still in product documentation etc. Seems only friendly to direct them to the new location if they are seeking official help.

David Porrett

5 hours ago, DavidP said:

I think in the short term a lot of people will come here looking for them, given the links are probably still in product documentation etc. Seems only friendly to direct them to the new location if they are seeking official help.

Every simmer is a potential friend or useful contributor. No reason indeed not to be friendly and welcoming. After all they would have already signed up to AVSIM in order to ask the question and haven't done anything wrong just by asking 'directions'.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK