Sign in to follow this  
kaha

Wrong textures on ocean

Flying the F-16 over the carribean sea I see map tiles textured onto the water. Why is this?  Here are two images:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mffe116cwi43mal/Textures1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nemktifjsdlws16/Textures2.jpg?dl=0

I guess it's because of the spedd with the F-16 P3D can not keep up with loading textures. I see it from the cockpit and in outside view. Doesn't happen in the Beaver.

Maybe someone knows why and can assist me in finding out the reason?

Thx,

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

Do you have any ORBX software installed? This problem sometimes occurs when one updates P3d4 (like from 4.3 to 4.4). If you do have ORBX add-ons installed, use FTX Central to verify the file integrity in FTX Global Base and any FTX Global LC items that are installed. FTX will check to see if any files are corrupted and will re-download files those as needed. In some cases, a complete uninstall/reinstall of the add-on is needed.

Yes, I use ORBX. But I did a clean install because of a major hardware upgrade, including new SSDs.

Karl

I'd still try the verify function in FTX Central to see if that will correct the problem. It may not work, but there is probably a conflict between your ORBX add-ons and the default P3d scenery. You could try to temporarily disable all your ORBX add-ons to see if that helps.

Another possibility would be to reduce your IQ settings in P3d4 and see if the problem disappears when using the F-16. Usually, excessive aircraft speed at low altitude when combined with high IQ settings causes blurriness, as only low resolution textures have time to load. What happens over the open ocean may be more complicated than what happens over land, but it seems like that is there weren't lower resolution water textures for that geographic area, then the cell would be black, as opposed to displaying a random land texture.

Thx, I will do that now and report then.

Verifying my ORBX installation it did download some files for Global Base and OpenLC NA. For OpenLC SA it told me that the files are ok. However, this did not eliminate the problem.

What did eliminate the problem was to drastically reduce IQ - as you anticipated. Except HDR, DL and reflections I had everything maxed out.

In the flight test with high IQ I received a P3D message "Loading terrain data". This took one second and then the tiles were gone.

I will do some tests with manual settings in the .cfg. Right now I'm using:

[GRAPHICS]
MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=64000.000000
ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0

[DISPLAY]
TEXTUREMAXLOAD=12
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=160
MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures=0

[SCENERY]
MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=1

[TERRAIN]
UseGlobalTerrainView=True
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

Thx,

Karl

What video card are you using?  How much vidmem?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I have a 2x 1080TI in SLI configuration. 11GB VRam. Texture_Size_Exp=10 consumes around 9.5 GB at most in photoreal scenery. 

Edited by kaha

Solved it. I set MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=512000.0 (512 km) and it worked with IQ maxed out. Also works over land. As a test I flew from FSDT Vancouver to DD Seattle. No problems, Together with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 VRAM walked up quickly to a peak of more than 10000 MB (observed in GPU-Z).

Some may ask why I did that or why I need that. Maybe it is not a realistic use case for most of us. But: I purchased the excellent X-15A-2 add on from Xtreme Prototypes and wanted to know what happens when flying fast. I owned the X-15 first version already back at FSX. It is a very demanding add on. Several hundred items in the cockpit and needs quite some time to be on top of it. Take a look at the publicly available online manual at 

https://xtremeprototypes.com/en/X-15A-2SE_help/X-15A-2SEUserManual.html

Edited by kaha

Shortcut for "ImageQuality", not really defined, mostly used as generalized term for settings like screen resolution, antialiasing, texture resolution etc.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS