Sign in to follow this  
Thac

Prepar3D VR and Pimax 5K+ or Pimax 8K (White texture flickering)

Have anyone tried Prepar3D 4.2/4.3/4.4 in singe pass VR (not stereo mode, setting in P3D menu) with a Pimax 5K+ or 8K?

I have just received my 5K+, and no matter what I do in the PiTool or in P3D v4.3 I get these strange white texture flickering ground patches in my far right peripheral vision. They are only present when I set P3D to VR "Singe pass” rendering (in the P3D VR menu), and not when I set “Stereo" rendering. However, the performance in “Stereo” in P3D v4.3 is bad, and the clouds and water dont render correct in each eye when using “stereo”. I don’t have this "white texture flickering" issue on my Vive in "Single pass rendering"

Anyone here that have tried P3D v4.4 (or v4.2) in VR with a Pimax 5K+ or 8K HDM?

For me it seems like P3D in unloading ground textures to early in my right eye. Just before the physical screen edge on my right eye the textures becomes a white flickering mess - but only when using "Single" pass rendering in VR . 

Perhaps this is fixed in P3D v4.4?
Maybe there are som CFG tweeks I can try?
Anybody else experienced this with a Pimax 5k+ ?

57 minutes ago, Thac said:

Have anyone tried Prepar3D 4.2/4.3/4.4 in singe pass VR (not stereo mode, setting in P3D menu) with a Pimax 5K+ or 8K?

I have just received my 5K+, and no matter what I do in the PiTool or in P3D v4.3 I get these strange white texture flickering ground patches in my far right peripheral vision. They are only present when I set P3D to VR "Singe pass” rendering (in the P3D VR menu), and not when I set “Stereo" rendering. However, the performance in “Stereo” in P3D v4.3 is bad, and the clouds and water dont render correct in each eye when using “stereo”. I don’t have this "white texture flickering" issue on my Vive in "Single pass rendering"

Anyone here that have tried P3D v4.4 (or v4.2) in VR with a Pimax 5K+ or 8K HDM?

For me it seems like P3D in unloading ground textures to early in my right eye. Just before the physical screen edge on my right eye the textures becomes a white flickering mess - but only when using "Single" pass rendering in VR . 

Perhaps this is fixed in P3D v4.4?
Maybe there are som CFG tweeks I can try?
Anybody else experienced this with a Pimax 5k+ ?

Hi there!

Yes. I´m having this issue too, but not with a Pimax HMD. I´m using a Samsung Oddyssey Plus WMR with Steam VR. I would not explain it as Groundtexture-Rendering issues. These white quadrants are much smaller as a ground texture tile, right? But they appear on the edge of the right handed lens and if I remember correctly, when you move your head from right to left (but I´m not sure).

It´s not much, but if you are focussing on it you´ll see it now and then. Correct? I´m getting my new Pimax HMD tomorrow and I will test it in a few days. What I could imagine is, that it also depends on your P3D "heavy" settings. It seems like it is getting less if you turn your sliders, in P3D, more left (Autogen and Scenery Draw distance from extremely high to high or even medium for example). This reduced this issue in my case.

Also my left lens didn´t have this issue at all. Yours?

I can confirm it only appears with VR "single pass" rendering mode, nothing seen here in "stereo" mode. My previous Oculus Rift didn´t have an issue at all. Also I´m now using P3D V4.4 with this issue again, P3D 4.3 also had this strange rendering problem in my case with WMR HMD.

I would guess that we are talking about <2% off the total lens surface.

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

22 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Hi there!

Yes. I´m having this issue too, but not with a Pimax HMD. I´m using a Samsung Oddyssey Plus WMR with Steam VR. I would not explain it as Groundtexture-Rendering issues. These white quadrants are much smaller as a ground texture tile, right? But they appear on the edge of the right handed lens and if I remember correctly, when you move your head from right to left (but I´m not sure).

It´s not much, but if you are focussing on it you´ll see it now and then. Correct? I´m getting my new Pimax HMD tomorrow and I will test it in a few days. What I could imagine is, that it also depends on your P3D "heavy" settings. It seems like it is getting less if you turn your sliders, in P3D, more left (Autogen and Scenery Draw distance from extremely high to high or even medium for example). This reduced this issue in my case.

Also my left lens didn´t have this issue at all. Yours?

I can confirm it only appears with VR "single pass" rendering mode, nothing seen here in "stereo" mode. My previous Oculus Rift didn´t have an issue at all. Also I´m now using P3D V4.4 with this issue again, P3D 4.3 also had this strange rendering problem in my case with WMR HMD.

I would guess that we are talking about <2% off the total lens surface.

Yes,"flickering white quadrants (mess)" describes this issue, and they are smaller than the ground textures. And they only appear over ground (in my far right lens)... not when I am in a left bank and the blue sky fills my right lense.

They are present all the time...but if I move my head it gets worse.

I have a i9 9900k and RTX 2080Ti and I have tried lowering many settings (draw distanse, auto gen and so on) but that did not seem not fix anything.

No issue at all in the left lense, and in the right it is about 3-5% of my vision.

Wondering if v4.2 also has this issue?

I have tried small/medium/large FOV and "use parallel projection" on/off (in Pimax PiTool) but still issues.

Does "Stereo" rendering pass in P3D v4.4 renders everything correct in VR for each eye (clouds, water at at low/medium/high/ultra)?

Meybe there is a texture distance CFG tweek... or something in P3D?

Looking forward to your "test result" after you have testet with your 5K+ 🙂

It's a bug in P3D all headset users experience it so long as I understood you that it is white textures at the periphery of vision. It would get more noticeable the wider your field of view. There is nothing you can do except report it to Lockheed. It has been around since at least 4.3.

Edited by glider1

Yes I have seen that too in the Samsung Odyssey+. I haven't noticed it a very long time though.

Its there since they introduced Single Pass Rendering, no matter wich headset i use.

Intel Core i9-9900K - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula | Intel Z390 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3  -2x1TB Samsung 970 PRO - 1000W Corsair HXi Platinum Series  - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 

1 hour ago, Chandler said:

Its there since they introduced Single Pass Rendering, no matter wich headset i use.

Yes, I agree, it is always present when using "Single Pass Rendering". And more noticeable when wider FOV is used (like Pimax 5K+ at 170 degrees - Large).

To get rid of this irritating white texture flickering in the right eye periperal vission I have to use "Stereo rendering". And in the Pimax 5K+ "Stereo rendering" produces a better VR image that "Singe pass". This is very noticeable when looking at cockpit instruments. When using "Single pass" and looking at the cockpit instruments I feel "cross eyed" - in "Stereo" rendering I do not feel cross eyed when looking at close objects (cockpit instruments, like the F-16 center ICP panel section).

So, I actually want to use "Stereo" rendering mode to escape the "cross eyed" feeling and to get rid of the flickering textures. But in "Stereo" (P3D v4.3) the Clouds and Water (when water detail is set to anything other than off) renders different in the left/right eye so I can't use stereo (don't want to remove all clouds). There are also some other objects that only renders in one eye with "Stereo" in v4.3. Are these issues fxed in v4.4 "Stereo rendering"?

What about v4.0 v4.1 or v4.2 and VR stereo/single - is that better?

Cloud reflections don't work in 4.4 for stereo single pass never did in earlier versions either. For first gen headsets like the Rift most other stuff works well and the white textures at the periphery is noticeable but not too annoying.

Thanks for advising that the white textures at the periphery is worse for large FOV. I would doubt that Lockheed don't know about the issue.

11 hours ago, glider1 said:

Cloud reflections don't work in 4.4 for stereo single pass never did in earlier versions either. For first gen headsets like the Rift most other stuff works well and the white textures at the periphery is noticeable but not too annoying.

Thanks for advising that the white textures at the periphery is worse for large FOV. I would doubt that Lockheed don't know about the issue.

Does clouds that are near (fly through some clouds) render correct in both eyes in stereo and v4.4?

Does water surface render correct (when using anything above "off" in water details - all reflections should be off) in both eyes when using stereo in v4.4? 

Some guy at the Pimax forum says that XP11 also has these flickering lines/textures in the far right periperals... so maybe it is something with Steam VR (Open VR)?

Edited by Thac

8 hours ago, Thac said:

Does clouds that are near (fly through some clouds) render correct in both eyes in stereo and v4.4?

Does water surface render correct (when using anything above "off" in water details - all reflections should be off) in both eyes when using stereo in v4.4? 

Some guy at the Pimax forum says that XP11 also has these flickering lines/textures in the far right periperals... so maybe it is something with Steam VR (Open VR)?

Hi Thac,

have my Pimax noww and get it not right setup in P3D. Can you write me your PiTool Settings (HMD/Brainwarp Settings). Thanks a lot

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

13 hours ago, Thac said:

Haven't had any problems with cloud or water surface rendering in 4.4 at any distance on a rift. All shadows on land work normally. Not sure about boat wake. Performance is smooth. The particle special effects drag down performance a lot while they are active. You can't access VR panels through A2A rain effects glass unless you move the panels in the cfg files. Best wishes with that Pimax headset which should be ideal for flight simulation if you can get the setup worked out.

Edited by glider1

16 hours ago, glider1 said:

Haven't had any problems with cloud or water surface rendering in 4.4 at any distance on a rift. All shadows on land work normally. Not sure about boat wake. Performance is smooth. The particle special effects drag down performance a lot while they are active. You can't access VR panels through A2A rain effects glass unless you move the panels in the cfg files. Best wishes with that Pimax headset which should be ideal for flight simulation if you can get the setup worked out.

And this is when you have "Stereo" rendering? Not "Single pass"?

21 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Hi Thac,

have my Pimax noww and get it not right setup in P3D. Can you write me your PiTool Settings (HMD/Brainwarp Settings). Thanks a lot

I am using an older PiTool version. I think it is 109 (am at work now). I don't have brainwarp at all, the "Brainwarp" menu item is missing. For P3D I untick "Use paralell projection" and also untick the box above (can't remember the name of that). I set FOV to large (you can try small/normal/large). SS i PiTool I set to 1 and in Steam VR I set 80% (whit large FOV)

I have a i9 9900k and RTX 2080 Ti

7 hours ago, Thac said:

And this is when you have "Stereo" rendering? Not "Single pass"?

Sorry single pass is all I use on the Rift. Works well on a 5.1GHz i7700k 1080 or 2080GPU.

You've done the best you can with the hardware. You could go over to the ORBX forum where the CEO of Orbx was asking if anyone has your setup.

8 hours ago, glider1 said:

Sorry single pass is all I use on the Rift. Works well on a 5.1GHz i7700k 1080 or 2080GPU.

You've done the best you can with the hardware. You could go over to the ORBX forum where the CEO of Orbx was asking if anyone has your setup.

Alright, could you just test if the near clouds and the water details (when set above off, and all reflections to off) renders correct in both eyes in VR?

I have v4.3, and I don't want to upgrade to v4.4 if these two tings are not fixed.  

• Like 1