Please let me know if this should be in the CPU/ETC forum.

What's the most appropriate GPU for a 6700k?  Stock speeds.  I've seen a lot of ranging equipment from other users on this site, so I'm not sure what's the appropriate course of action. 

I'm sure RTX is overkill, from a CPU and CASH perspective.  I'm getting the vibe that I can run something more recent than what was available when the CPU was launched, but am more interested in saving $200 than getting another single FPS.  

770GTX to 1080ti being the approximate range of suitable cards?

Any input is appreciated.

Hi,

I am running a 6700K with a GTX980 and the result is ok, but I am looking to upgrade to an RTX2080.  My GTX980 has 4GB of VRAM and 8GB is far better with P3D 64 bits and all new contents from developers. My advice is, go for a 1070TI of better.

Mike

I have a 6700k with a recently acquired Titan Xp. It seems well balanced. The CPU is overclocked to 4.6 GHz 24/7 these days. Had a factory overclocked 1070 before.

I noticed huge gains in DCS performance.

P3D seemed to be a case of having more AA with no hit. Haven't done much other testing with P3D as DCS is getting most of my time these days.

I use a GTX 1070 on my 4.5ghz overclocked 6700k. I use it in a 4K TV/monitor.

On 10 April 2019 at 2:14 AM, Mikelab6 said:

You could also use this tool to find out best card for your CPU

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/

Mike

I've no idea what algorithm they use for the calculation but they think my 6700k is bottlenecking my GTX 1080 - in heavy gaming, it's almost always the GPU which reaches 100% first. When the GTX 1080 was released, the 6700k was still the recommended enthusiast gaming CPU. More surprisingly, the i7-8750H (mobile processor with a 2.2GHz base clock) is one of their recommended solutions for the predicted bottleneck.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

What screen resolution do you want to run at?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.