Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

In the any landing you can walk away from

I will not be posting for a while.  Last night while in a crosswalk at the green cross light, I was run over by an SUV.   Two of its tires went over me and I hit the back of my head on its transmission, and I was thrown about 15 feet.  Wonderful civilian first responders were there in the blink of an eye, they told me I was in shock and not to move until help arrived, first the police in seconds, then the paramedics who rushed me to the hospital with sirens blaring.  I was first run over on my back but then instinct kicked in and I rolled on my stomach, the way I was taught when I was studying martial arts way back in high school, which is the only use I ever had for my training anway.

I am in intense pain, that is the bad news, the good news is I am intense pain with no broken bones or internal injuries, just deep cuts and a sprained right wrist and two sprained ankles but walkable.  My daughter contacted my ex wife for me and she was so wonderful in lifting my spirits for me this morning, and my daughter too.

I believe my Avsim and Facebook guardian angels were watching over me although I  resent the pain.  The driver who hit me was citied for failing to yield but the driver was not found to be under the influence.  Estimated speed at impact was 35 mph. 

These things do affect your psyche but at least it was only an overnight stay in observation after X Rays and a half hour long Cat Scan, the type where they inject the nice warm dye which I happen to like, it helped me relax.

See you soon when I am out of bed rest.

John

Glad to hear it was not worse.  Speedy recovery John.

• Like 1

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

1 minute ago, rmeier said:

All the best for a speedy recovery John!

Thanks, despite the aches and pains I forced myself to walk to the store which is what my doctor recommended.  First female doctor I have had in long memory and the drugs they gave me made me want to marry her, lol, but a catch like that certainly has a significant other.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John_Cillis said:

Estimated speed at impact was 35 mph. 

Glad to hear your doing ok and didn’t have any serious injuries.

If you think about it, that’s pretty impressive that your were able to survive getting hit at that speed and tossed 15 feet, all without wearing any protection and being an older fellow. Perhaps you should have been a Hollywood stunt man in your younger days.

I’ve been lucky to survive some bad accidents in my younger days when I rode bulls in the rodeo for 4 years and raced the  AMA Superbike and Supersport series for 3 years prior to rodeo. However I can’t claim to every having take a direct hit from a 35mph SUV.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hope you heal quickly. Reminder to all of us how life can be changed in one simple foot step.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

1 hour ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Glad to hear your doing ok and didn’t have any serious injuries.

If you think about it, that’s pretty impressive that your were able to survive getting hit at that speed and tossed 15 feet, all without wearing any protection and being an older fellow. Perhaps you should have been a Hollywood stunt man in your younger days.

I’ve been lucky to survive some bad accidents in my younger days when I rode bulls in the rodeo for 4 years and raced the  AMA Superbike and Supersport series for 3 years prior to rodeo. However I can’t claim to every having take a direct hit from a 35mph SUV.

Yeah, it saddens me there was another pedestrian accident on the same road yesterday which turned out to be fatal.  But I never imagined it would happen to me, so painfully, in the way it happened.  The body just seems to have this "curl up and take stock" reaction when hit with such a severe impact.  The hardest struggle I have right now is I always felt strong, and safely seen as a pedestrian.  I wear light clothes at night, and I walk briskly to cross the street quickly.  I will change my walking habits a bit, I will cross intersections against the traffic so I can see it coming, even if I have to go the long way around to make it to a bus stop.  Pedestrian accidents at night are so common, a poor former colleague of mine hit and killed someone jaywalking at night, he was hurting so bad even though he was found not to be at fault.  I do not jay walk and I won't even cross at unmarked crosswalks.  Since it took me 57 years to get hit so hard, and since albeit with the exception of a 24 hour stay in ICU, I guess I and my higher powers above came out of it alright.  It's on days like today that I like to say I have low friends in high places, lol...

• Like 1

Nasty, get well soon, and watch out for word not allowed drivers. Unfortunately there are plenty of them around 

Edited by Freo
  • Like 1

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

That you are even here to tell the tale is nothing less than a true miracle - Indeed. there must have been an angel there as your co-pilot...  

• Like 1

My heart was in my mouth as I read the Topic Title and then  what you even managed to write about and inform us, John, which in itself is truly amazing.

A speedy rapid recovery wish to you from distant shores. May God be with you.

With that kind of luck John, you really should buy some lottery tickets, or at least ask that doctor for a date!

Congratulations on surviving what sounds like a pretty horrific incident and  best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Being hit by an SUV at 35mph sounds like an accident with the potential for a much worse outcome! Very glad that you are at least able to write about it and hope you make a steady and fast recovery John.

Bill

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear this, John.  Take all the time you need to recover. I'm sure the thoughts of all your friends here at Avsim will be with you.

Prayers for your speedy and complete recovery.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Wow, you can consider yourself lucky after all! Wish you a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]