Sign in to follow this  
Pastalucci

No speed restriction climb

3 hours ago, skelsey said:

In the US 250kt below 10,000ft is written in to law (with some exceptions as documented above). So ATC does not have the authority to authorise a higher speed, in the same way that, for instance, a police officer doesn't have the authority to permit you to break the speed limit (they may turn a blind eye, but if you got caught on a speed camera 'the policeman told me it was OK' wouldn't wash - they're not in a position to decide on who's required to follow the law or make up new laws on the spot).

Very good analogy. Slight differences (more grey area in our 91.117, and a much larger one in 91.3), but I like how it gets the point across.

3 hours ago, skelsey said:

Whether or not is a good idea to go blatting around at 300+ kt at low level is another question (note that the usual form of wording is 'no ATC speed restriction' -- which is not the same thing as 'Fly 350 kts') and Andrew above has given one reason why one might consider keeping the speed down. Obviously the environment you are operating in is going to have a bearing (traffic situation, airspace class, airline SOPs, workload etc etc)... 'airmanship' is the watchword.

Yep. I think we have a significantly larger amount of GA traffic here than anywhere else in the world, which may be why ours has stuck in the way that it has.

Kyle Rodgers